• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NSH GA RESULTS - 5 to 1

142 posts in this topic

7.Sparkler 14 - Best Tarzan cover EVA!!

I'm glad you like that one. 893applaud-thumb.gif Indeed it's a great Burne Hogarth cover. When I nominated that cover, I was not expecting much votes since some might view it more like a comic strip reprint than a "real" comic book.

Yup, that`s why I only voted it as a #10, because it wasn`t really meant to be a comic book cover. If Hogarth had really drawn comic books, my top 10 probably would have been evenly split between his works and Frazetta`s. And then if Hal Foster had drawn comics, I would`ve had to split my selections 3 ways.

Here is another of my "dark horse" nominees that unfortunately didn't get any votes. It's sort of the red-headed stepchild of Frazetta covers but I thought it deserved a nomination simply on it's outstanding foreshortening technique, something that many GA artists, even the top names, had difficulty with. Just another example of how far ahead of many of his peers Frazetta was.

StraightArrow3.jpg

Nice looking book, but in my opinion not one of Frazetta`s better renditions of a bear. It looks like he was trying to experiment with Chinese brush painting techniques to depict fur, but all he ended up with was a bear with a severe case of static electricity.

I'm surprised the Buster Crabbe covers weren't nominated since we're talking about frazetta. At least one of those is as good as the famous funnies covers.

Also - Weird Science Fantasy 29 - sorry I'll gladly be the first one to say that it's got to be the most overrated Frazetta cover of all time. Buck looks off-balance and his wrist looks overextended... worst of all, the primary caveman to the right is way too close to Buck to deliver a blow with that club. In fact, the caveman's projected swing would probably end up with the caveman's knuckles on Buck's head instead of the bat. (It would probably hurt the caveman more the Buck (!) as his knuckles would get sandwiched between the bat and Buck's head).

Classic frazetta linework but the composition is not a strong one by his standards.. Totally overrated... many better frazetta covers out there.

Actually, the caveman will probably be swinging at air as the blond guy is about to follow the other caveman over the cliff's edge, having clearly lost his balance.

I always thought the blonde guys arm looked like it was originally drawn to be a caveman's, and yes the wrist is oddly extended, but I still put WSF #29 in my top 10, as it is much more dynamic than the other "classic" Frazetta covers.

Actually, the caveman will probably be swinging at air as the blond guy is about to follow the other caveman over the cliff's edge, having clearly lost his balance.

I always thought the blonde guys arm looked like it was originally drawn to be a caveman's, and yes the wrist is oddly extended, but I still put WSF #29 in my top 10, as it is much more dynamic than the other "classic" Frazetta covers.

Here were my votes.

1. Thrilling Comics #63

2. FC #199

3. FC #386

4. Archie Comics #178

5. FC #178

6. Jumbo Comics #99

7. Walt Disney's C&S #69

8. Zoot Comics #14

9. Startling Comics #53

10. Punch Comics #12

I may have gotten a little carried away on the FC Barks, but I used to own a FC collection of over 400 books in mid to high grade condition.

I am a little suprised that the Kelly books didn't do better, although I didn't vote for any, I am very fond of his work. His covers are simple, but do stand out, and are easily recognized.

If I ever get rich, I am going to start a Good Girl Comic collection.

I am a little suprised that the Kelly books didn't do better, although I didn't vote for any,

D'OH! Explain that logic to me again, more slowly.

I am very fond of his work. His covers are simple, but do stand out, and are easily recognized.

Some of them may be simple

FourColor179.jpg

while on others there's as much happening as a Schomburg Nazi-bashin' fest

FairyTalesParade7.jpg

Jack

I'm sure one of you can upgrade WSF 29 with Photoshop ? I would be curious to see the result 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1222474-1193969-NGAC-WeirdScienceFantasy29copy.jpg

A recreation I had done. Comicwiz (here on the forum) did it. Sorry for the bad picture, it really doesn’t do justice to the quality of the piece.

wsf29recreation.jpg

# 2 - Weird Science-Fantasy 29

Total Points - 194

# of votes - 28

# of 1st place vote - 9 (blutobc, houseofcomics, Jeffreykli, 143ksk, Theagenes, Zipper68, rob_react, JBud73, Adamstrange)

1193969-NGAC-WeirdScienceFantasy29.jpg

foreheadslap.gif Do I have to educate the GA Forum now. Oh well so be it.

My Top 10

1. Weird Science Fantasy 29 Cover: Frazetta ('Cause there's Frazetta and then everybody else).

2. Shock SuspenStories #6 Cover: Wally Wood

3. Action Comics #2 Cover: Leo O'Mealia

4. Four Color #386 Cover: Carl Barks

5. Spirit #22 Cover: Will Eisner

6. Weird Fantasy #21 Cover: Williamson/Frazetta

7. Crime SuspenStories #22 Cover: Johnny Craig

8. Tales from the Crypt #46 Cover: Jack Davis

9. Crime SuspenStories #20 Cover: Johnny Craig

10. Detective Comics #15 Cover: Creig Flessel

WSF 29 comes in at #2 - are you f@cking kidding me. Despite 9 first place votes 893scratchchin-thumb.gif some people dogged my First past the post system, but at the top it looks like we have an argument with the straight point distribution - again why I would argue for a slight weight system with first place votes receiving a tad more weight. (Oh and OG can't believe you didn't vote for WSF 29 sumo.gif - could have voted for that and nothing else and I'd be thumbsup2.gif) WSF is also Atomic Age and late Atomic at that, which probably hurt it in this poll.

Look the Funnies Fraz covers are nice (have to admit I didn't vote for them for strategic reasons, not wanting to split votes) but as Rob discussed - the power of this image is unparalleled in its era. The detail and the line work are always going to be there with Frazetta, but thats not where his genius lies. Its in the Image, its in the imagination of what to put on the page and where to put them. Sure you can harp miniscule points about composition, well the cave man would miss his head but a few inches. However taken in totality what Frazetta captures is emotion, motion, that perfect still photo thats not a photo, though looks like it could have been one.

Again it is this energy, to echo Rob again that sets Fraz apart. He is able to convey so much and transport the viewer to that exact moment in time, encapsulate it, suspend their disbelief, or allow them to believe in something that could have happened just like he dipicted it.

The first time I ever saw "The Matrix" and the leap forward in photographic techniques to capture amazing images and moments in time, I thought to myself..... "well its taken 40+ years but photography has finally caught up to Frazetta, but artistry?? Well give them another 40 and maybe they'll get close."

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Oh and the very fact that you can stick that 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif ahead of WSF 29 means alas Frazetta's greatness is lost on some pagans. makepoint.gif

WSF 29 comes in at #2 - are you f@cking kidding me

Your favorite cover comes in 2nd with 9 first place votes and your complaining about it? Jeez, only 3 of my picks made it into the top 20 on each list, and I see it as testament to the diversity of taste that makes this hobby fun. I did vote for WSF #29, but near the bottom of my list, perhaps in part a subconcious FU to all the arrogant Frazetta fans who think their man strides as a fine art god among the mere mortal funnybook illustrators that could never be his peer. Frazetta is one of the greats, not the greatest of all.

I think I could handle the points you made as they were interesting, but this quoted comment of yours ruins it. It by itself doesn't sound too smugly superior, but when added to the common knowledge that you have made many anti-GA statements then it really seems out of place....but not out of character.

If you consider editing it then I'll gladly delete this post as well. thumbsup2.gif

I was away from the boards for a couple of weeks, but would've definitely nominated Brenda Starr #14 and Junior Comics #14. Great GGA covers.

yup - brenda starr #14 would have been one of my nominees if i'd paid attention to the deadlines...............was lucky to get my votes in at all............. blush.gif

I am a little suprised that the Kelly books didn't do better, although I didn't vote for any,

D'OH! Explain that logic to me again, more slowly.

I am very fond of his work. His covers are simple, but do stand out, and are easily recognized.

Some of them may be simple

FourColor179.jpg

while on others there's as much happening as a Schomburg Nazi-bashin' fest

FairyTalesParade7.jpg

Jack

Gees. I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

I think I could handle the points you made as they were interesting, but this quoted comment of yours ruins it. It by itself doesn't sound too smugly superior, but when added to the common knowledge that you have made many anti-GA statements then it really seems out of place....but not out of character.

If you consider editing it then I'll gladly delete this post as well. thumbsup2.gif

Ok lets just all settle down - my disdainful comments over GA comics are always tongue in cheek. Mostly stemming from 3 things. 1. An argument with Banner and others over the transitional appeal of GA comics to Copper Age kids who are now 30 something collectors. 2. A disillusionment with GA stemming from my youth and DC's Batman Archives #1 as follows.

I think Batman Year One TPB had just been released and I bought it, even though I had the comics already. Batman Year One was perhaps one of my favorite sotries from my youth, for some reason that story stayed with me (I love DKR, Watchmen, Miller DD, NTT etc) but I remember readign that TPB over and over. About the same time the Batman archives was issued and I was stoked. I remember thinking wow, now I'll get a chance to read how it all began, the original detective stories. The price tag was somethng like $55 Canadian + tax, not a meager sum for a 14 something year old kind. But I took the plunge and bought it. Talk about disappointment, I think I just had too high expectations and comparing Miller and Year 1 to early GA Batman stories - its night and day. I remember thinking wow, this is what all the hype is about, why are all those books worth so much $$ - they kinda s@ck.

and #3 its that generation gap thing. There's always going to be some anti-baby boomer sentiment among future generations. Its usually not cool to like something your parents, or their parents liked. poke2.gif

For the record, though I will deny it later (have to keep up the reputation 27_laughing.gif) I have a deep appreciation for GA books, even though I dog them alot. EC's which are Atomics, are my favorite books and the only thing that makes me happier than buying an EC, is buying a Pedigree book, or a Pedigree EC (well I don't own one, but that would be the ultimate). I love flipping through the Gerbers and seeing covers I havent seen before. Frazetta, Wood and Eisner are three of my favorite artists and I think of Shomburg as the classic version of George Perez.

Will I ever collect GA comics? Nope. Besides the EC's my deep appreciation for them does not penetrate deep enough to reach my wallet. Still always love dropping by the GA forum and checking out the cover posting, stirring things up every once in a while with the codgers on purpose devil.gif Probably also stems from the fact that I don't dig L.B. Cole and he has many fans. But then again some others seem not to like frazetta juggle.gif and WSF #29 - I'm sure corrective laser surgery will fix that one day, but only time will tell.

My votes for NSH

1. Weird Science Fantasy #29 - me and 8 others agreed at #1 thumbsup2.gif

2. Weird Science #16 - where's the love for a great Wood cover. frown.gif

3. Sparkler #14 -

4. Startling Comics #49

5. Famous Funnies #212 - FF goodness

6. Spirit #22 - Most any Spirit cover is good enough for a top something list

7. Famous Funnies #214 - more FF goodness

8. Suspense #3 - Eye grabbing cover 893whatthe.gif

9. Space Adventures #12 - A reach, but I like it just for the quirkiness screwy.gif

10. Crime Suspense Stories #20 - So realistic it hurts to look at it.

tonofbricks.gif

again why I would argue for a slight weight system with first place votes receiving a tad more weight.

I would agree with that. Giving a cover a #1 vote should carry more significance than 1 point more.

Look the Funnies Fraz covers are nice (have to admit I didn't vote for them for strategic reasons, not wanting to split votes)

foreheadslap.gif Perhaps we should have coordinated our strategy. I deliberately omitted WSF 29 because I knew it was going to get votes out the wazoo! Christo_pull_hair.gif I would`ve traded you a high vote for WSF 29 in exchange for a high vote for FF 214.

all the arrogant Frazetta fans who think their man strides as a fine art god among the mere mortal funnybook illustrators that could never be his peer.

hi.gif I couldn`t have expressed my adulation of Frazetta any better than that! headbang.gif

Exactly, he would be swinging at air... I didn't even get to that. But the point is he's standing way too close to Buck to be swinging at him, off-balance or not. It's awkward. gossip.gif

Exactly, he would be swinging at air... I didn't even get to that. But the point is he's standing way too close to Buck to be swinging at him, off-balance or not. It's awkward. gossip.gif

whaddaya expect? he's a friggin caveman!!