• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NSH GA RESULTS - 5 to 1

142 posts in this topic

My #1 pick (Fight Comics #32) didn't even make the top 30 Christo_pull_hair.gif

I liked that one too (thanks to FlyingDonut calling attention to it).

My top 10...

1) Action 12

2) Famous Funnies 211

3) Suspense 3

4) Fight 32

5) Mask 1

6) Vault of Horror 26

7) Startling Terror Tales 11

8) Blackhawk 19

9) Scoop 2

10) Crime Does Not Pay 42

Actually after reading the excellent write ups on all these great issues, I've gotten a greater appreciation for many of the covers I didn't vote for thumbsup2.gif

Me too. Especially FF 214.

[No writeups for the top 2? confused-smiley-013.gif Wish I'd have known, I'm sure I could have pulled something out of my asss.]

For the write-ups, all's in the timing and unfortunately the timing didn't work out for those particular twos. I still managed in less than 2 days to get 38 out of the 40 write-ups needed yay.gif Not bad, considering I had to work with board members poke2.gif

This doesn't mean that people can't do a write-up now for those two btw. I can still edit those entries. Please PM me with entries.

# 2 - Weird Science-Fantasy 29

Total Points - 194

# of votes - 28

# of 1st place vote - 9 (blutobc, houseofcomics, Jeffreykli, 143ksk, Theagenes, Zipper68, rob_react, JBud73, Adamstrange)

1193969-NGAC-WeirdScienceFantasy29.jpg

I was hoping we could get a writeup on this one because frankly I just don't get it. Yeah it's kinda neat. But 2nd best nonsuperhero cover of the Golden Age? screwy.gif

Total Points - 194

# of votes - 28

# of 1st place vote - 9 (blutobc, houseofcomics, Jeffreykli, 143ksk, Theagenes, Zipper68, rob_react, JBud73, Adamstrange)

I was hoping we could get a writeup on this one because frankly I just don't get it. Yeah it's kinda neat. But 2nd best nonsuperhero cover of the Golden Age? screwy.gif

You are so right! thumbsup2.gif

There is no way that any GA cover is better than this one.

I demand a recount! sign-rantpost.gif

Here are my votes :

1) Famous Funnies 214

2) Frontline Combat 8

3) Planet Comics 28

4) Shock SuspenStories 6

5) Weird Science 16

6) Spirit 22

7) Fairy Tales Parade 3

8) Suspense Comics 11

9) Sparkler Comics 14

10) Tales from the Crypt 46

No Fanboy title for me! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I still think Famous Funnies 214 should have won over Weird Science Fantasy 29... WSF 29 is a great Frazetta composition, but the logo and rocket on the left kill it for me...For me the appeal of a comic book cover needs to take logo, captions into consideration. With WSF 29, the drawing takes too little space in the cover. If that cover had been designed à la Famous Funnies (I'm refering to the logo here) it would have gone straight to the top IMO...

I'm sure one of you can upgrade WSF 29 with Photoshop ? I would be curious to see the result 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1222474-1193969-NGAC-WeirdScienceFantasy29copy.jpg

Aaah! Much better 893applaud-thumb.gif...but I still have a preference for the FF 214 makepoint.gif BTW, I'm sure all of you know this but this cover was an unused cover for his Buck Roger Famous Funnies run...I wonder why they did not use it confused-smiley-013.gif

Compare and Contrast:

wsf_29.jpgst_2.jpg

Classic composition, detailed line work. It tugs at the eye. That's the real draw of a GREAT cover. The whole package. Forget all these key books whose only draw is that their favorite character was first appeared in it. This cover allows you to escape from your mundane life and immerse(sp?) yourselve in a world of Weird Science Fantasy. You really can imagine yourself fighting off cave-men(?)

Compare and Contrast:

wsf_29.jpgst_2.jpg

Classic composition, detailed line work. It tugs at the eye. That's the real draw of a GREAT cover. The whole package. Forget all these key books whose only draw is that their favorite character was first appeared in it. This cover allows you to escape from your mundane life and immerse(sp?) yourselve in a world of Weird Science Fantasy. You really can imagine yourself fighting off cave-men(?)

Apt since one of Wrighston's admitted weaknesses when compared to Frazetta is his inability capture the energy of movement the way that Frazetta does so naturally. Wrightson may be the equal of Frazetta in every other aspect (and maybe passes him in some) but he never was able to produce the same freeze frame snapshot moment of tumult that is SO readily apparent in the wsf29 cover. Both covers are great, but the Frazetta cover possesses a certain spark of life that is VERY difficult to capture in ink.

Again, I'm going to be doing a full writeup of this cover later on cloud9.gif

Many thanks to Scrooge, Norrin and Fred for doing this.

Given the strong performance of ECs in the NSH category, I'd like to see how this contest would've come out if we had separated "true" GA (up to 1949, or even 1945 for the purists) from the later pre-code Atomic Age stuff.

My selections:

1. Famous Funnies 214

2. Detective 15

3. Detective 18

4. Action 2

5. Four Color 199

6. Famous Funnies 213

7. Famous Funnies 212

8. Four Color 386

9. Startling 46

10. Sparkler 14

Flessel got seriously stiffed in my opinion!

Here are the honorable mention books:

28 - Fairy Tale Parade 7

i love the look on the frog's face center right

Heck yeah! I hope you gave it your #1 or #2 vote!

I went back and forth between Four Color 69 and Fairy Tale Parade 7 -- in the end I voted 1 and 2 in that order.

Brilliant covers by a brilliant artist. If the pixies had D cups or one of the silhouetted dancing figures were chopping off the other one's head, the covers would have been shoo-ins!

Jack

Total Points - 194

# of votes - 28

#2? I demand a recount!

Too high?

This was originally drawn as a Buck Rogers cover for Famous Funnies, but was rejected because it was too violent and modified for EC, right? Can anyone confirm that story? That makes Frazetta's Buck Rogers run even more remarkable!

In fact, Frazetta's standing in the GA poll is almost exactly like Steranko's in the SA poll. Small quantity with high quality.

Jack

Total Points - 194

# of votes - 28

#2? I demand a recount!

Too high

Too Low!

(and your story is, I believe, correct.)

BTW, I'm sure all of you know this but this cover was an unused cover for his Buck Roger Famous Funnies run...I wonder why they did not use it confused-smiley-013.gif

Apologies for not reading all the way through the thread before sending the same comment.

Apparently it was too violent for Eastern Color. Does anyone know which editor got Frazetta to do the Buck Rogers run?

Jack

Here are everyone's Fanboy Rating for the Non Super Hero

Name FR Score

Mrs. Scrooge 22.2

that's interesting. I'm guessing that you got your wife (not a comic-book fan?) to vote based on the galleries. Any chance of seeing the top picks of an unprejudiced eye?

selegue 18.5

Timely 15.4

WOO-HOO!!

Timely, how did you beat me? Vote for covers that weren't even nominated?

It's clear from my Fanboy Rating that almost no one gives a fudd, but here are my NSH votes with brief rationale. My honorable mentions did better than my top ten. I'm suprised that Wings 90 didn't do better in this "girlies and gore" poll! The bracketed numbers are final ratings, added later.

Jack

1. Four Color 69

Stunning. My favorite comic book cover of all time, and Kelly’s best work. Classic Kelly bugs cheering on the racers, naked (and apparently genderless) pixies, beautiful composition and color. I sure wish I owned a copy! A cropped section of this cover served as the cover art for my CD compilation of calm music called “zzzzzz” last year.

2. Fairy Tale Parade 7 [28]

Neck-in-neck with FC 69. The composition may actually be superior, with the silhouetted dancers against the moon. Tough call between 1 and 2 positions.

3. Fairy Tale Parade 3

More gorgeous Kelly fantasy artwork! In my (minority) opinion, the best cover run of any comic book. Is there a prayer that Fairy Tale Parade will ever be reprinted? I doubt it – no spandex or girlies! I should bite the bullet and pay the price of a reader set.

4. Black Cat 50 [27]

Not one of my nominees, but it could have been. A classic element cover! Lee Elias wasn’t one of the greatest artist of the Golden Age, but this cover is inspired. A cropped section of this cover served as the cover art for my CD compilation of raucous music called “EEEEE!” last year, complementing #1.

5. Famous Funnies 213 [8]

One of Frazetta’s Buck Rogers covers had to make the cut, and this one strikes me as the strongest. The heavily shadowed creature, the circular framing device, the miniskirted spacesuits – great piece of work!

6. Four Color 148

More Kelly, and I had a helluva time choosing among the Pogo and Albert covers. I was surprised that no one nominated the first, Four Color 105, or Pogo Possum 1, but this one strikes me as a stronger composition than FC 105 and less cluttered than PP 1. Interesting that Albert was still the headliner.

7. Weird Fantasy 21

Too many great EC science-fiction cover to choose from. This is my favorite, successfully combining the spacemen, monster and barbarian genres. Williamson and Frazetta – what a combination! Bare arms with fur trim on the space boots – unconventional but stunning.

8. Animal Comics 13

Kelly with Albert, Uncle Wiggily (I think) and bugs. Great stuff.

9. (New) Adventure 26

One of Creig Flessel’s covers had to make the cut! This is the best of the nominated Flessel covers (but not by much), and there are more that deserved to be nominated.

10. Fairy Tale Parade 1

Yes, I’m hooked on Kelly covers. Not as strong as 3 or 7, but still gorgeous. The giant’s body language and the crow (straight out of Kelly’s work on Dumbo) are fantastic.

Honorable mentions (not that there was a bad cover in the whole non-superhero gallery):

Wings 90 (It kept flickering on and off my top ten list.)

Spirit 22 (I feel guilty not voting for an Eisner cover) [4]

Blue Beetle 54 (that disappearing bra strap is too hard to believe) [20]

Action 12 (lovely cover but I can’t waste a non-superhero vote on a superhero cover) [19]

Four Color 179 more Kelly goodness!)

Famous Funnies 214 [7]

Punch 12 [18]

Shock SuspenStories 6 [10]

Famous Funnies 211 [26]

Famous Funnies 212

Famous Funnies 210

Weird Science-Fantasy 29 [2]

Four Color 103

Man O'Mars 1

Scoop 2

Jungle 99

Mister Mystery 11

Planet 26

Planet 28

Seven Seas 4 [30]

Strange Worlds 4

Suspense 3 [1]

Bulls Eye 1

You know, there are enough covers out there for a separate Top 10 GGA and Top 10 Precode-Horror contest. How many people do you suppose would vote on that contest?

Well, I toyed with that idea as well as what tth2 said elsewhere to separate across time period but that lasted all of 10 seconds and decided to Keep it Simple Stupid. Honestly, I think the turnout would have been much lower: too many categories to remember, confusion as to what and how to vote, ... and running one of these things as people involved in the BA and SA versions can certainly attest to does involve quite a bit of background work and time.

Heck I even thought of having a Western category insane.gif

Jack,

here's Mrs. Scrooge NSH vote:

1 - Four Color 103

2 - Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 48

3 - Dynamic 8

4 - Four Color 178

5 - Spirit 22

6 - Cave Girl 11 (#1)

7 - Detective 15

8 - Four Color 386

9 - Shadow v.3 # 11

10 - Military 18

I am sure she threw in FC 386 because it's an important book in our household and knows that I like the Shadow so she threw that one in as well. I was surprised she liked the Cave Girl 11 as I had nominated it. Provided a perfect excuse for me to buy a copy last week ( 893crossfingers-thumb.gif in tomorrow's mail) acclaim.gif

She surprised me with her fascination with Dynamic 8 and it was interesting she voted for one of the early 'Tec as well. I can't recall her rationale for Spirit but she might have recognized Eisner's work.