• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charm City Collection

96 posts in this topic

Excellent Find there FT88

That ASM is a beauty.

Don't feel like it's bragging....you're just sharing the adventure with everyone.

I'm doing the same thing in the grading forum.

Wow, I wish the collection I had purchased was generally as nice as the ones you posted. It's hit or miss with the collection I purchased as the owner was a collector/reader, and not a speculator. At least he was a completist with all the early issues.

Again,

Kudos to you and your find. Very cool.

My question is how do some of the collectors on this board go about seeking these collections? There's most defnitely people out there who are willing to sell, but how do you find them in the first place.

Thoughts?

It takes plenty of advertising and a willingness to drive an hour to look at "a 1000 really old comics" only to find 5 boxes or Archies and Tarzans from the late 70's with water damage or loose covers etc. For me, I usually travel since I don't have a store where folks come to you.

The idea that there is an old man who doesn't know what they're worth and has 200 Timely's has never happened to me. Always, the novice seller focuses on the NM price and won't sell except for full price. The best collections I've bought were from collectors who collected in the late 70's and will take half value as long as you take everything.

Then, the boxes take over the room in a hurry. Not a bad complaint I admit though my back will never be the same. This picture looks like Neat Stuff dropped off a load.

Charmlot.jpg

Edited by ft88

Yes there were. In no particular order

FOOM, Marvelmania

1966 set of Donruss cards high grade

2 sticker strips of head shots

set of Marx figures - burnt orange and silver.

1970's Calendars

1970s pinbacks

1970s Hulk candy box

2 mini comics

1979 felt iron ons (baseball card size)

2 Mead Folders - Hulk and Cap i think.

3 sets of Hulk ASM and Cap America MEAD book protectors (I'd never seen these before)

One or two Foom Magazines and other Fanzine type Mags

Set of Flicker ring images but no ring

Bronze Spidey medallion

Hollogram medallion (???)

There are few more items I can't remember

Some Treasury's but not ultra high grade. Firesides are limited but there's an Origins of and one or two others. There were also the Original 70's Marvel Indexes. I think X-men was number 9 - I had never seen those before.

FT:

Great find. I know the thrill you're feeling.

The Spidey 1 looks to be an 8.0 or so. I'm not being flippant here but do you think the top of the cover may be trimmed? The other sides look normal to me, but the top looks razor sharp both front and back.

There has to be a %$^& load of X-Men in the lot, right? Anything particularly nice?

--Gary

Gary,

Actually I thought the right edge of the Spidey may be trimmed but the top looked normal to me with a hair of overhang. What gave me pause was that the top is a different slightly different length than the bottom, (production issue I hope?). And there were no Marvel chips. It is at CGC so we'll see.

Spotty X-men, missing the reprints and GS1, and for a collector who was an Adams fan he didn't look for perfection on the X-men run. I think the 94+ issues were actually read, so these may be VFNM while Omega and Machine Man are NM/MT. In a way thats pretty cool. Thanks for the kind words Gary.

Ed

Yes there were. In no particular order

FOOM, Marvelmania

1966 set of Donruss cards high grade

2 sticker strips of head shots

set of Marx figures - burnt orange and silver.

1970's Calendars

1970s pinbacks

1970s Hulk candy box

2 mini comics

1979 felt iron ons (baseball card size)

2 Mead Folders - Hulk and Cap i think.

3 sets of Hulk ASM and Cap America MEAD book protectors (I'd never seen these before)

One or two Foom Magazines and other Fanzine type Mags

Set of Flicker ring images but no ring

Bronze Spidey medallion

Hollogram medallion (???)

There are few more items I can't remember

Some Treasury's but not ultra high grade. Firesides are limited but there's an Origins of and one or two others. There were also the Original 70's Marvel Indexes. I think X-men was number 9 - I had never seen those before.

PM sent! thumbsup2.gif

Before going to the comics, here are the Mead book covers I've never seen before. The FOOM, Marvelmania type items from the 60's and 70's are always awesome and seeing these as part of the collection instead of "only" comics makes it pretty cool. I'm not sure Powerman belongs in baby blue though.

charms026.jpg

charms027.jpg

charms028.jpg

charms029.jpg

Charmlot.jpg

insane.gif

Congrats!

By the way, there are collectors who are looking for that type of phone(my folks collect them they are in the telephone biz). That is probably a Stromberg-Carlson ro Western Electric phone. If it has the crank, it is relatively desirable. So, Ebay that bad boy!!!

Tim

Before going to the comics, here are the Mead book covers I've never seen before. The FOOM, Marvelmania type items from the 60's and 70's are always awesome and seeing these as part of the collection instead of "only" comics makes it pretty cool. I'm not sure Powerman belongs in baby blue though.

charms026.jpg

charms027.jpg

charms028.jpg

charms029.jpg

takeit.gif

had these when i was in fifth grade!