• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What top 5 books/grails are you currently wanting ?

68 posts in this topic

Thanks Adamstrange,

Since Im brand new to this board who decides the small quote under our display name. I cannot complain, as I did just arrive.

It's determined mainly by your post count so until you post more, you'll still be "I just got here".

Norinn, why no love for 'Tec 180? I like it. It's striking when you see it.

Thanks Adamstrange,

Since Im brand new to this board who decides the small quote under our display name. I cannot complain, as I did just arrive.

It's determined mainly by your post count so until you post more, you'll still be "I just got here"..

Yeah, to get rid of it you'll have to post pics of your favorite comics!

We'd love to see 'em! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yep, welcome to the boards!

Always loved the black cover on Speed Carter Spaceman #1. (Kind of a bear in higher grade, as you're no doubt finding out!)

You're not including Detective #40?

It may be based on the title splash from a Joker story that was supposed to be (and should have been) published in #40. But it's been altered to the point that it's not really the Joker. And the Joker doesn't appear in the comic.

For similar reasons I'm not including #158, which just features a Joker mask on the cover but no actual appearance by the Joker in the story.

Getting back to the latter covers, as you can see they aren't nearly as good as the earlier issues.

#137 just features his head in what I think is a subpar cover.

#138 has an invisible Joker so all you see is an outline

#149 is a campy cover with the Joker playing bagpipes

#168 features the Red Hood so again you don't actually see the Joker

#180 is a fun cover and my favorite of the latter ones

#193 is also a fun cover

Nice idea. Presumably you're passing over 168 (when you do the later issues)?

Years ago, I had the idea of collecting all the issues where Batman went back in time via hypnosis. I got as far as making a checklist of the 30 odd issues, but never went any further. Part of me would still like to get them, but they'd be so far down my list of priorities, that it wouldn't be worth attempting.

I probably would include #168 since the Joker is "The Man Behind The Red Hood". Plus, it contains his origin.

Here is an overview of all eighteen Joker covers.

1230481-JokerTecs.jpg

If we are getting technical, Detective Comics #158 is a Joker cover in the same vein that More Fun Comics #75 is a Hitler cover.

West

You're not including Detective #40?

It may be based on the title splash from a Joker story that was supposed to be (and should have been) published in #40. But it's been altered to the point that it's not really the Joker. And the Joker doesn't appear in the comic.

And yet Overstreet still classifies it as the first Joker cover. It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of the original cover and the published cover. I'd be surprised if it was altered all that much, other than colors chosen for the figure's skin and clothing. To me, it just kinda looks like the Joker wearing a hat that obscures his green hair.

And yet Overstreet still classifies it as the first Joker cover.

They also classify Action #61 as a radiation cover which has been successfully debunked by board members. tongue.gif

It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of the original cover and the published cover. I'd be surprised if it was altered all that much, other than colors chosen for the figure's skin and clothing. To me, it just kinda looks like the Joker wearing a hat that obscures his green hair.

I'll work on it. thumbsup2.gif I own the archives in which both appear.

It seems to me that they changed the coloring to make it look less like the Joker and more like the villain they ended up using in that issue, Basil Karlo's "Clayface".

I think you've pretty much got it nailed on.

The trouble with any form of collecting (and comics are a pretty bad example) is that it can easily become very anal. I doubt that there are too many board members who don't have a reasonable percentage of issues that they don't really want, let alone like, but are compelled to own them to complete part of a run.

"GA Detective Joker covers, that I like" is a great set. When you do manage to finish it, you have the option to go for "GA Detective Joker covers, that I don't like", or, you could go for "Other GA Detective non-Joker covers, that I like".

The great thing is, when you do come to sell one day, the books will never go as one lot and it won't matter if you have the odd cover missing.

Whatever you do, good luck and good fun! thumbsup2.gif

Well I have more then 5 grails . But the grail I've wanted most since FF# 1 Hit # 5, which i own today, is Fantastic Comics # 3 . I 've worked out a deal with a private collector & should have it in couple of weeks maybe sooner. I've been wanting a copy for 12 years . I'm totally thrilled. yay.gif It's low grade but complete "no back cover though" tongue.gif cream pages. The cover image is all there "real nice" cloud9.gif

I think you've pretty much got it nailed on.

The trouble with any form of collecting (and comics are a pretty bad example) is that it can easily become very anal. I doubt that there are too many board members who don't have a reasonable percentage of issues that they don't really want, let alone like, but are compelled to own them to complete part of a run.

"GA Detective Joker covers, that I like" is a great set. When you do manage to finish it, you have the option to go for "GA Detective Joker covers, that I don't like", or, you could go for "Other GA Detective non-Joker covers, that I like".

The great thing is, when you do come to sell one day, the books will never go as one lot and it won't matter if you have the odd cover missing.

Whatever you do, good luck and good fun! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Gary. I'm excited about working on this set! 2 down, 10 to go. smile.gif

After finishing this set, I will probably take a break from Detective. I have several Captain America Comics that I would love to have. Also, I want to own the four GA Solomon Grundy appearances.

(4) Detective #36 (because all the other Batman covers below this one are WAY too expensive) Actually, this one's not too cheap either 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's the one I would go for, too. Cool Hugo Strange story.

There's a low-grade copy up on eBay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETECTIVE-COMICS-36-...1QQcmdZViewItem

It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of the original cover and the published cover. I'd be surprised if it was altered all that much, other than colors chosen for the figure's skin and clothing. To me, it just kinda looks like the Joker wearing a hat that obscures his green hair.

Here it is...

1248860-Batman1_JokerSplash_small.JPG1248859-Batman1Tec40_JokerSplash_small.JPG

So I guess it does look like that they just changed the colors since the Joker wasn't being featured in Detective 40. The Joker always wears purple (not yellow). Strangely, the coat and hat that Clayface wears in the story is purple. So did they make the Clayface clothes and appearance to match the Joker cover they already had... and then change the colors on the cover anyway to avoid confusion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At any rate, The Joker isn't anywhere in the comic so I'm not including it in my set.

1) Detective Comics 37 BACK COVER (to complete my copy)

2) Detective Comics 34 COVER & CENTERFOLD (to complete my copy)

3) Detective Comics 36

4) Detective Comics 35

5) Detective Comics 32

Here's an update:

1) Just purchased a copy from of Detective Comics 37 missing front cover to complete mine.

3) Purchased a Detective 36 off eBay.

well, I focus on a different type of book than most....very rare and somewhat exotic......so, here are my top 5 GA quests, in order of desirability:

( and these I can actually afford, and am prepared to buy right now...if $$ was no object, my list would be 3 Action 1's and 2 Detective 27's )

1. Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

2. Pep 22

3. Archie 1

4. Man From Planet X

5. Black Cat 50

1) Detective 27

2) All-American 16

3) Marvel 1

4) Sensation 1

5) Batman 1

Sensation 1 over Detective 1?

Actually, I rarely hear a hard-core GA collector list Sensation 1 in their top 5. What's the reasoning there?

Where would Adventure 40 rank?