• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Approach to buying "big" books?

11 posts in this topic

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Batman 1 sometime in the next few years and I was wondering how people approach the sale of a big book like that one, FF 1, AF 15, etc. What resources to you use to locate that "ideal" copy? How long has your search been? Do you pay cash? Time payments? Credit Cards? First Born? Feel free to share war stories.

Get the cash, then wait for the right copy to come along. Don't pull the trigger until you find the one you want. There are plenty of Bat #1s to go around.

I'd add one thing - have the cash, but pay with a credit card. Do this for two reasons, one, for the added protection a card gives, and two, you might as well get miles or points or something for it. Pay the card right off with the cash.

Get the cash, then wait for the right copy to come along. Don't pull the trigger until you find the one you want. There are plenty of Bat #1s to go around.

I'd add one thing - have the cash, but pay with a credit card. Do this for two reasons, one, for the added protection a card gives, and two, you might as well get miles or points or something for it. Pay the card right off with the cash.

Or pay with credit, then blow all the cash that night celebrating. insane.gif

headbang.gif

Or, pay with cash, and then have an open line at Tattletales with your credit card. Strippers really dig a big blue slab.

Yep. Use credit card to buy book. Spend cash on hookers and blow. tongue.gif

I normally advocate the same thing on large comic purchases...get the points and the extra protection. However, some times you can get a better deal by eliminating all the things that cut into a seller's profits (or deepen his loss) such as credit card/Paypal fees, ebaY fees, and to that end, cash is indeed king.

For instance, I just scored a nice silver key and took off close to 20% from the guy's asking price (which actually put him in the red on the book, according to him) just because I was willing to do a money order transaction. Its more risky, especially if you've never dealt with the seller through the mail, but it can be worth it.

Also, if you're not opposed to restoration, I would try to find a sharp moderate to slightly restored Bat's # 1 with great eye appeal and good page quality. There are a number out there and I would wait patiently for one to appear on ebay. Chances are, if the seller starts out with a fixed price that may be a little strong, it won't move the first time or two in an auction format. If you approach the Seller post auction, you may be able to negotiate a more favorable price and discount down the cost of ebay and possibly Paypal fees. I might also wait for December-March to time your purchase, seems to be a good time of the year for striking favorable deals on high dollar keys.