• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I Missing Something Here?

12 posts in this topic

From the scan, poorly-done granted, the book looks better than a 1.8. A 2.5 maybe?

But it does seem that the price is a bit high for a PLOD 1.8.

From the scan, poorly-done granted, the book looks better than a 1.8. A 2.5 maybe?

It's not. GPA has one other sale of a PLOD 1.8 and that was for 660. The lowest sale of an FF 1 is 425 for a trimmed 1.5. That's what I mean by there being a really high floor on this book. Two SA 1.0s sold for more than $500.

The lower the grade of a book, the less important the PLOD status is. I've gotten more than Guide for low grade PLODs.

The lower the grade of a book, the less important the PLOD status is. I've gotten more than Guide for low grade PLODs.

[honest question] Why is this? [/honest question]

it will largely be because the kind of people buying 1.8-2.5's will be the kind of people who are buying the book, not the label, and the PLOD won't put them off as much as label hoarders. They just want to own an FF1, X-men 1, Spider-man 1 etc

I'd be perfectly happy buying PLOD silver age keys at decent prices, rather than spending a fortune on a blue label one which could just be a hidden press/trim away from a PLOD anyway.

When the value is closer to the bottom of the barrel, it's harder to impact the value with further bad news.

It presents well for the grade. I've seen really ratty looking fuzzy scan raw copies sell for $500-$600 on ebay. That seems to be the price of entry.

Didn't a copy of AF #15 with about a third of the book missing ( torn or chewed off) sell for over $500 last year? Now THAT is screwy.gif

When the value is closer to the bottom of the barrel, it's harder to impact the value with further bad news.

That's my guess too. If a book is trashed all to hell and then CGC says it's got some color touch, for instance, who really cares at that point? The range of defects at the really low grades are so wide that even if you removed the color touch, thus exposing the color breaks, would it even impact the grade? Probably not.

If you're asking why someone would pay more than Guide for a PLOD, your guess is as good as mine. confused-smiley-013.gif