• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owning multiple copies of back issues - why do we do it?

135 posts in this topic

For those of us who collect multiple copies of particular back issues, why do we do it?

The normal reasons for "new issue speculation" don't seem to apply here:

- hope of a quick profit/flip

- taking advantage of new issue hype

- hopeful that a story/character gains immediate popularity or becomes the next big thing

- long-term view that issue could become "key"

It seems that the "back issue hoarder" would need different reasoning...

- rarely is a quick profit/flip in the goals of a back issue "hoarder" who seldom (never) sells

- there is no "new issue hype" with back issues which are decades old

- a story or character is unlikely to gain "delayed popularity"

- the book is either key or it's not, and is unlikely to change so many years later

So... for those of us with multiple copies of the same book (and no intention of selling anytime soon)...

Why? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My reason for having multiples is it is either a key issue, first appearance or maybe I got a good deal that I couldnt refuse...

Do you keep 'em? Why? poke2.gif

Yes, In hopes that the book increases in some time then i can sell one and still have a copy for myself...

I will buy a book when I believe I am getting it at such a price that it is a value.If I find a pre69 comic at a very good price,I don't care if I have zero copies or 50 copies,I'll buy it if its the best value.Unlike many here,I believe older comics have not yet reached their peak ,especially the VG-VF copies that are generally shunned at this point.

In my case, I pick up my "Missed" picks that are not on my subscription order and I end up picking up a dupe by mistake. I do also pick up a duplicate, if I think there might be some demand for an issue(I reader, one collector).

Worst I've done is six copies of a silver age book, but I resigned to sell the 9.4's after getting a 2nd 9.6. in this instance it was chasing a properly graded copy, I could just never find one I was entirely happy with. The book was TTA #93

I pick up multiples of bronze and silver books that have "hidden" value and appeal. Some books are relatively unknown, but a certain segment of collectors recongnize the value in them, and will consequently pay more for nice copies.

I buy multiple copies of books (especially classic covers or first appearances) I like that are undervalued in the guide and/or I find at bargain prices.

Books I own multiple copies of include Jughead's Folly #1, Wilbur #5, Life with Archie #2 and Millie the Model #1.