• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owning multiple copies of back issues - why do we do it?

135 posts in this topic

Different reasons for different books.

For instance, ASM #300 was one of my favorite books growing up, so I currently own four 9.6 CGC graded copies. I won't make any money on these books in the foreseable future, but still love having all four copies.

On the other hand, I do own 2 copies of certain books that I'm hoping will go up in value over time. For instance, if X-Men #1 doubles in value over the next 5 or 10 years, I'd still feel comfortable about selling my 8.0 copy, since I can still keep the 8.5 copy. Same thing with my Iron Man #1's (9.0, 9.4), and Action Comics #252 (5.5, 6.0). I use the lower graded copy as a buffer so I don't have to sell my keeper when the book gets hot.

For those of us who collect multiple copies of particular back issues, why do we do it?

There's no question about it.. Collectors are odd. Whether it's the need to accumulate (hoard a specific issue) with "vertical-type" collecting or even collecting "horizontally" and obsessively buying everything associated with a certain topic.

Why... I knew someone who wanted a never cancelled $5 Defiant check from Jim Shooter's old company. (I even met Jim Shooter in person due to that check actually.)

Oh wait... that was you. poke2.gif

This weekend, I picked up a set of Mead Superhero Marvel folders which I used to have as a kid (and I still have the tri-fold binder). There were some extra folders in addition to the set I picked up and darned if I didn't feel a twinge about picking up those extra folders as well. (I didn't.)

It's a sickness... but that's the price we pay for our childhood memories. cloud9.gif

Why... I knew someone who wanted a never cancelled $5 Defiant check from Jim Shooter's old company. (I even met Jim Shooter in person due to that check actually.)

Oh wait... that was you. poke2.gif

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is meant as a substitute for group therapy.

"Hi, my name is Greg. I have over 100 copies of the same comic book. I'd rather buy another dozen than sell any one of them." confused-smiley-013.gif

I pick up multiples of bronze and silver books that have "hidden" value and appeal. Some books are relatively unknown, but a certain segment of collectors recongnize the value in them, and will consequently pay more for nice copies.

I will pick up certain Silver Age books that I feel are under the radar/ under valued in current market. I've got a few I look for here & there. thumbsup2.gif

I pick up multiples of bronze and silver books that have "hidden" value and appeal. Some books are relatively unknown, but a certain segment of collectors recongnize the value in them, and will consequently pay more for nice copies.

I will pick up certain Silver Age books that I feel are under the radar/ under valued in current market. I've got a few I look for here & there. thumbsup2.gif

We should exchange notes! grin.gif

For me, I'm not really out looking to get multiples of any one issue, but have ended up with a few. Main reason is, the later copies have all come at a cost which was less (usually far less) than I had previously paid and I could'nt pass up the good deal. This also lowers my average cost for the books, so if and when I do sell, I won't have so much to recoup from the higher priced book I bought.

For those of us who collect multiple copies of particular back issues, why do we do it?

The normal reasons for "new issue speculation" don't seem to apply here:

- hope of a quick profit/flip

- taking advantage of new issue hype

- hopeful that a story/character gains immediate popularity or becomes the next big thing

- long-term view that issue could become "key"

It seems that the "back issue hoarder" would need different reasoning...

- rarely is a quick profit/flip in the goals of a back issue "hoarder" who seldom (never) sells

- there is no "new issue hype" with back issues which are decades old

- a story or character is unlikely to gain "delayed popularity"

- the book is either key or it's not, and is unlikely to change so many years later

So... for those of us with multiple copies of the same book (and no intention of selling anytime soon)...

Why? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paging Cal! Paging Cal! I think you could answer this one better than the rest of us!

As someone who owns 0 dupes, I can understand hoarding due to investment potential, and I can understand wanting to own a reader and a high grade, I can understand owning variants and even color strike variations (more common with older books), but the desire to own multiple copies just to have, well, multiples of a certain book, mystifies me.

For me it is constantly upgrading a favorite issue.Comparing those copies against each other. Seeing how different the production value was for each issue.Hoping my personal favs pan out to be goldmines. Basic Geek stuff.

But I will ask you, as well as others.. selling off an issue you hoard is not an easy task. Am I alone in finding it hard to part with an issue # that I hold in high regard even if I own multiple copies of?

For me those issue are ..

Batman 237

ASM KS Annual 9

TOS 99(I have no idea why)

Atom 8

TTA 60

ST 58