• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sucked In

17 posts in this topic

When I was about, oh, must be 10 years old, I was rooting through my fathers sock draw (ok, I was looking for a differnt kind of mag at the time) and I stumbled across some comics. I asked my mom why they were there and she told me this... when my father first came to England from Italy, he had been working all over the world and had bought these comics to help him learn English.

So, with that explanation, I sat down with my candy bars and started to read a pile of comics called Tales of Suspense, issues #39 - 46.

Once I had finished them I was hooked forever. After that, being in the UK, 2000AD solidified my love of comics.

The fate of the above mentioned TOS comics is another story, but basicaly involves my parents moving house and burning lots of 'old comics in boxes' on the bonfire!

Still brings tears to my eyes...

I've always been around comics from when since I could remember. I would visit friends and they would have comics and I would read them and my older brother had some comics that I would read.

What really got me into collecting was a friend of mine had stacks and stacks of reader copies of DC, Marvel, Charletons, Gold Key..etc laying around in his garage and I would leave his house with a stack of comics to read when I got off work to wind down. I would finish the stack, return them and go get another stack until I read all of his comics. I was sucked in at that point and started going to the drug stores and buy them off the racks. The rest is history.

I remember how i got into comics

I was given a small run of Michael Moorcock books and a run of Angel and Buffy

But how did you?

Elric of Melnibone' can do that to you.... cloud9.gif

I must have been about 6 years old. I walked into a grocery chain store with my mom. I left her sight for a minute only to find me pulling out ever comic from the newstand, and throwing them on the floor. This ritual still haunts me today as I have knack for picking out the most valuable comics on the rack only to find out I can't take it all home with me sorry.gif

Ahh, those drug store and grocery store days. I remember I got in trouble once because I walked from school to the drug store and hung out for almost 2 hours reading the books, instead of going straight home. My mother came looking for me. Boy was she hot.

Once, my mother stopped me from buying comics for a whole six weeks because of my school grades. No problem. My grandmother, snuck them for me.

I used to buy Richie Rich from the ages of around 9 to 11...around the age of 11 my stepfather told me he heard comics could be worth money so he bought me a price guide to look my stuff up in. I also had a bunch of GI Joe toys, so after flipping thru the price guide I went to a comic shop and saw GI Joe #1 on the stands and bought it. From there I went into collector mode and moved to Amazing Spider-Man, New Teen Titans, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and then X-Men...and I was hooked. Fell out of comics when I went to college but got back into it in 2000 after I saw the X-Men film.

Started with Conan. Got hooked becase I was a D&D geek (at a Christian private school).

Also read Elric, and finished the last book at the beginning of summer camp one year. It was so disturbing to my lil' mind I was depressed the whole camp. ("How can you play vollyball? Chaos is winnnig!")

Started with Conan. Got hooked becase I was a D&D geek (at a Christian private school).

Also read Elric, and finished the last book at the beginning of summer camp one year. It was so disturbing to my lil' mind I was depressed the whole camp. ("How can you play vollyball? Chaos is winnnig!")

893Funny-thumb.gif

That's a riot! I had the same idea after reading Elric!

My mother used to work at a book distribution company in the late 70's early 80's. Back in that day bookstores would return books (and comics) to the distributor for credit. They would take all the extras and DESTROY them. My mother used to go out back after work, rip the covers off 20 or 30 books and bring them home. Once I bacame a pre-teen/teenager I would go out there constantly and make "buddies" with the workers. Then they would unload stacks of comics to me (once I was "in" all with covers.

I collected quite a bit of free fanboy stuff that I was able to sell at a great profit years later. But if only I knew then What I know now! I know there were several GREAT books that I would use to swat flies or read in the bathtub! 893frustrated.gif

Oh well.....

POV: I hope you split the collection with your godson 50-50... "Here's a Richie Rich Dollars and Cents #43 in VG for you...and a Tales From the Crypt #11 in VF+ for me..." hehe

BTW, I love the swipe from Thing #16 wink.gif

First comic I can recall was a Jimmy Olsen from 1969 that my father bought me... that one didn't really quite do the trick, but shortly afterward I stumbled across what must have been 200 or so Archie comics under my cousin's bed... she was the coolest, and let me read them to my heart's content.

Around the same time, my uncle showed me the old Hulk and Spiderman cartoons on TV, and that was pretty much it.

When I was a kid in the 1980s I watched Super Friends and All the different Marvel stuff they had, and would buy all the different comicbook toys of the era.

I didnt start reading comics till the mid 80s where I had a huge collection of Archie Digests. Around the late 80s Marvel Comics were making there way around the school yard. We'd all go to the local comicstore after school and buy Marvel and DC collectable cards, I however went a step further and started buying lots and lots of comics.

I even went as far as turning in my huge Archie Comics Collection for 100 bucks store credit and turned around and bought all sorts of Marvel back issues.

At that point, my family and neighbors found out I had a love for comics and neighbors and family members gave me thier old comics for free.

I took a break for awhile after the spiderman clone thing and the heros reborn fiasco....bought comics every now and again.

Then in 2002 I went to my first comic con just to see some starwars actors who were there....I bought a few comics and I was hooked again.

Now it's the year 2003, and I have over 12 long boxes of Comicbooks. Mostly bronze age and moderns....

Now that I have money, my taste for silver age and golden age must be quenched!!!!!!!!!!

THE HUNT IS ON!!!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

POV: I hope you split the collection with your godson 50-50... "Here's a Richie Rich Dollars and Cents #43 in VG for you...and a Tales From the Crypt #11 in VF+ for me..." hehe

BTW, I love the swipe from Thing #16 wink.gif

We started with similar interests - that is, I followed his lead and bought mainly new books...until I saw a rack with a few #12 Doc Strange 169s and Hulk 102s that looked like they came stright out of the distributor's carton. Then we diverged. I still kept up on some of the fun moderns but started going back into SA.