• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slackers Day Off

21 posts in this topic

Although I have been a board member for awhile and have enjoyed countless posts by many board members I have not contributed many scans due to my limited computer knowledge. At the advice of a fellow board member (thanks Jeff) I purchased a new scanner. Finally after many failed attempts to sucessfully scan a decent image I decided to take the day off of work and figure this thing out. Below are the results of what would take many here a few minutes however took me all morning. here are a few recent aquisitions as well as a few I have had for awhile, I have many books and will post more scans now that I know how to do it. I thought I would start out with some Superman titles.

actn22.jpg

actnn.jpg

actn.jpg

supes10.jpg

supes.jpg

actn.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif When I see a VG+ like this one and hear complaints about a CGC sliding grading scale being lenient to GA books, I go screwy.gif That's a beautiful book with WHITE pages! thumbsup2.gif Great Burnley cover.

popcorn.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif When I see a VG+ like this one and hear complaints about a CGC sliding grading scale being lenient to GA books, I go screwy.gif That's a beautiful book with WHITE pages! thumbsup2.gif Great Burnley cover.

Yup. I'll take 4.5s like that all day long. Very nice looking book. thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree with you on that one.It seems to me that CGC is almost TOUGHER on mid grade gold than they are on anything else.The ONLY complaint that I have with CGC on their gold standard is the lack of notation on the slab of interior tanning to the covers.Considering that a lack of tanning is the exception and not the rule,that's a rather small complaint.I know,I know,that's what graders notes are for 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

det71f.jpg[/img]

Here's the first golden age slab that I got,and other than the initials and that gnarly dust shadow,it's a VERY nice copy.Graded out VG+(OW/W)

Very nice!!!

Thanks for taking the time to learn how to scan. thumbsup2.gif

Jim,

What setting are you using?

I am not sure what you mean by setting. I assume I am using the default or factory settings.

Your scanner does a preview scan. When that appears on your monitor, there are 5 or 6 buttons on the right where you can adjust things like contrast, size, etc. How you adjust those settings has a big affect on the results you get. I think with the first setting you tell the scanner what it is that your scanning. When I started, I was selecting "printed material" and "magazine", and was getting results like yours above. When I selected "photo" rather than "printed material", I got better results. Also, when I adjusted the contrast, I found that I could better match the true color of the actual comic.

det71f.jpg

other than the initials...

What is it with "SN"?

I've seen "SN" on so many books.

confused-smiley-013.gif

As I've heard, it's a collection found by Overstreet in Cookville (sp?) Tenn.

What size is the bed of your scanner? For that matter WHAT scanner (company and model) are you guys using?

When you scan, do you have something that looks like the image below?

1245445-ScannerSetting.jpg

1245445-ScannerSetting.jpg.341f2a129c2bcb2ec4756d9d7668a30e.jpg