• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just soiled myself.....and I couldn't be happier.

364 posts in this topic

The dang thing doesn't even have white pages....
I just read this thread and looked at the book again. It has white pages now if it really didn't when this was first posted.

1285115-FF-1-96%28DS%29.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1285115-FF-1-96(DS).jpg.2cb2bc4ebd1face17698e828463c9807.jpg

did anyone save a scan when this thread was first posted....now I'm just confused.

Why the confusion? At best, this just confirms what most of us have known for years: CGC can't determine page quality with any degree of accuracy.

At worst, one of its favorite submitters gets another freebie.

Here's the original scan.

FantasticFour-1-96.jpg

What the heck confused.gif How did this book mysteriously go from OW pages to White pages and keep it's same serial number? Doesn't a resubbed book get a new serial number?

Off-white to white is a huge difference...given how often they must assess page quality, that's too much of a jump to get "wrong" the first time. Doug probably was upset over the page quality "criticism" on these boards and asked CGC to take another look and make the "appropriate" changes. It makes me kind of sick, actually. To me the book, while always out of reach, will always have off-white pages...

...and CGC again confirms that it will do (almost?) whatever is necessary to keep the big clients happy.

Dan

Off-white to white is a huge difference...given how often they must assess page quality, that's too much of a jump to get "wrong" the first time. Doug probably was upset over the page quality "criticism" on these boards and asked CGC to take another look and make the "appropriate" changes. It makes me kind of sick, actually. To me the book, while always out of reach, will always have off-white pages...

...and CGC again confirms that it will do (almost?) whatever is necessary to keep the big clients happy.

Dan

Dan, I don't think it was so much the "criticism" from these boards, as the simple fact that the book stands a much better chance of selling at or near the ridiculous asking price on Pedigree with White pages then with Off-White.

Regardless, the fact that the book kept its serial number, without going through the regrading pricess is what's really at issue here. How exactly is this done? It smacks of favoritism of the worst kind.

Maybe since it's the same book,with no grade change.I would imagine they might do the same if a book with a mistake on the label was corrected.Just a guess...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Maybe since it's the same book,with no grade change.I would imagine they might do the same if a book with a mistake on the label was corrected.Just a guess...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Didn't this book have the OW designation when it was in the original old label holder? Then when it was reholdered (yet kept the original serial number), it still was an OW book.

I guess CGC was wrong six years ago when it was originally graded, as well as when it was reholdered, and finally came to their senses. smirk.gif

Or maybe page quality just improves with time when encased in the Fountain of Youth known as the CGC holder.

Sorry Jim, you can explain away the X-Men # 1 PC and FF # 18 jumps from 9.6 to 9.8 (a stretch, but you can resub and resub until you get the results you want), but to get a two tier bump in page quality, while keeping the same serial number (indicating the book was NOT actually regraded) smacks of something entirely different.

Exactly.

You know when a book jumps grades, they can say grading is subjective or perhaps the book was pressed up, but the PQ should not be going from OW to White. The funny thing was it wasn't even borderline last time like a OW/W, so that's really a pretty good leap to make to full bone white pages.

Pages were off-white in the original scan. Now white. confused-smiley-013.gif

In my experience, CGC was very tough on page quality when it first opened its doors. And this FF 1 was one of the first books they graded.

If I remember correctly, a lot of the early Pacific Coasts submissions also came back with "cream to off-white" pages. I'm sure they've since been reassessed, and rightfully so. I’ve owned raw Pacific Coast books, and the page quality is pretty nice. It’s definitely not what we’d consider "cream to off-white" today.

Pages were off-white in the original scan. Now white. confused-smiley-013.gif

In my experience, CGC was very tough on page quality when it first opened its doors. And this FF 1 was one of the first books they graded.

If I remember correctly, a lot of the early Pacific Coasts submissions also came back with "cream to off-white" pages. I'm sure they've since been reassessed, and rightfully so. I’ve owned raw Pacific Coast books, and the page quality is pretty nice. It’s definitely not what we’d consider "cream to off-white" today.

Do they use a different scale to determine the PQ now? That just seems really strange. If they use a tool or guide similar to the owl card, it should remain consistant.

Looks like Doug decided to have the PQ checked after all!

Jimbo,

Yes, this was actually the 3rd comic ever graded by the CGC. I got it put into a new holder around the time of the Philly show in 2004 and thus the new label/hgolder (the original one was scratched to hell and it bugged me no end).

I really think the pages have a shot to be off-white to white as they look better than off-white from the outside view, but I haven't brought it in. It really is a solid 9.6 copy with no visible flaws, etc. It kind of looks like the reprint issue as its so flat and white but when you see the 10 cents on the cover you realize its the real deal.

I know its listed at a crazy price but I really think it would take a crazy price for me to sell it. I've owned it now for 10+ years and its my favorite comic book of all time.

Thanks for the kudos, Jimbo. If I had any rreal computer know-how, I'd put a scan of it up here or in the favorite cover thread going on in. It's such a great book to look at, etc. I was so lucky to get that book and it brings back incredible memories of late 1995 when I bought it.

Doug

Ok, I'm curious:

How much would a book like this cost to have it rechecked for PQ improvement?

Does one resub it like any other resub for a complete regrade or can you just have it looked over for PQ?

It just seems like an aweful big risk to take with a 9.6 book of this magnitude and an aweful expensive one too.

I'd have to be pretty darn sure about achieving the upgrade.And to think, he made his determination based on how the pages looked from the outside view. That's pretty gutsy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif