• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are High Grade HOS really that hard to find? 9.9's anyone?

70 posts in this topic

These two auctions are ending pretty quickly. I've been watching them for the week thinking I would put a bid in maybe $20-25 or so for each, but I really didn't expect these to be that much. Are these books really that hard to find in high grades. I bought two books from this guy before and he is at least 1/2 grade off. On some of these auctions I'm not sure he is even close. Some of his VF/NM look more like Fine to me (lots of spine stress, corner dings, etc...).

HOS 89

HOS 88

Could someone let me know if these are that tough in grade. Thanks.

The 88 is tough to find with decent centering (which that copy does NOT have). Not sure about the 89, but I don't think that one is particularly tough.

I was watching those as well, and I hoped to bid on the 81. Then I saw Redf1shing was the top bidder. Better luck next time. crazy.gif

HOS 88 and 89 have been coming up fairly routinely (for BA horror collectors--that means twice a year on average), although, as october mentions--the layout of the page on 88 makes it difficult to find with good QP.

Early issues (like 81-86) are a MAJOR PAIN to find in hi grade. I mean like waiting YEARS to find a good copy. It's not like yawning and waking up and saying "I think I'll get a ASM 300 today"---and then finding 10 places where you can pick from the litter.

I wouldn't bid on these books based on the cropped scans alone. That is BS--and another "Best Practice" for my educational thread. tongue.gif

Then I saw Redf1shing was the top bidder

Do you know who he is? I checked what he has bought before and it looks like he has a lot of dough to spend on comics. Bought one book from Greggy. One of those bidders that just bids until he wins the auction.

HOS 88 and 89 have been coming up fairly routinely (for BA horror collectors--that means twice a year on average), although, as october mentions--the layout of the page on 88 makes it difficult to find with good QP.

Early issues (like 81-86) are a [embarrassing lack of self control] to find in hi grade. I mean like waiting YEARS to find a good copy. It's not like yawning and waking up and saying "I think I'll get a ASM 300 today"---and then finding 10 places where you can pick from the litter.

I wouldn't bid on these books based on the cropped scans alone. That is BS.

SCAM....cropped edges.....ugh....I hate Ebay for this very reason. And his prices are ridiculous. My LCS has at least two copies of each of these in the Fine range that I could crop and sell the same way.

Do you know who he is? I checked what he has bought before and it looks like he has a lot of dough to spend on comics. Bought one book from Greggy. One of those bidders that just bids until he wins the auction.

No, he just bids an astronomical price that is just scary...he doesn't nickel or dime his bids. If he shows up, that usually means pay the piper if you want it. I have outdone his bids and the price still be somewhat reasonable so it can be done from time to time.

These prices are approaching what I've paid for 9.4 CGC copies. And chances are, these are 9.0 books...maybe worse depending on the crop effect.

No, not sure who he is. I just know that once he bids, my chances of winning the auction for anything less than a crazy price are about zero.

SCAM....cropped edges.....ugh....I hate Ebay for this very reason. And his prices are ridiculous. My LCS has at least two copies of each of these in the Fine range that I could crop and sell the same way.

Or just place them in a nice mylar--that brings about 2 point upgrade!! tongue.gif

Early issues (like 81-86) are a MAJOR PAIN to find in hi grade. I mean like waiting YEARS to find a good copy

Thanks for the info Sterling. I guess I got lucky, cause I just picked up a copy of #84 from a seller a couple weeks ago for $12.00 in about 8.5 condition with no grease pencil like this guy has on the one he is selling. Thought I could get a couple more like that from this seller. Oh well.

Bye the way, when are you going to sell some more stuff on these boards?

Bye the way, when are you going to sell some more stuff on these boards?

When a ton of people start asking--some folks are still paying for their last winnings. tongue.gif

I have a ton of CGC 9.4+ late BA horror on Bob Storm's site now, btw.

I just picked up a copy of #84 from a seller a couple weeks ago for $12.00 in about 8.5 condition.

Well, to clarify: VF grades are not THAT hard to find...specifically I was referring to strict NM or better. That was a DARN GOOD price there for a VF+.

When a ton of people start asking--some folks are still paying for their last winnings.

I'm asking. grin.gif And let me just say, when it comes to sellers IMHO, you are the man! hail.gif

HOS 88 for $123 by redf1

HOS 89 for $113 by our own ramrod (see, it can be done).

For those prices, I expect to see some plastic...but I guess that's the allure of a raw book...the mystery of its true grade hidden until it arrives at the door.

HOS 89 for $113 by our own ramrod (see, it can be done).

You think he is going to send it in for grading? I'd be interested to see whether it comes back a 9.4 or not. Maybe I'll PM him.

This sellers grading is pretty accurate and when ever "Redf1shing" is bidding.. well chances are you won't win and if you do, you just paid multiple guide for it.

There's an echo in here... tongue.gif

The seller needs to understand (for those who don't know his grading) that his cropped scans = fewer bidders.