• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eternals, the new series

17 posts in this topic

JRJR = not buying. I think he's the worse artist marvel has ever had but I know i'm in the minority. I think i would actually buy a liefeld issue over him and i think raking myself over burning coals is more appetizing than a liefeld book.

JRJR = not buying. I think he's the worse artist marvel has ever had but I know i'm in the minority. I think i would actually buy a liefeld issue over him and i think raking myself over burning coals is more appetizing than a liefeld book.

I don't think you are in the minority. I thik it is a real love/hate deal with JRJr. Half the people love him, half hate him. No middle ground thumbsup2.gif

4 different covers devil.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Was considering giving it a try at first. Definitely not now that it's coming out with 4 different covers. foreheadslap.gif

A sure sign that this book is really nothing more than Wizard-like hype targeted for the speculators, as opposed to serious content geared more for the long term readers.

I don't think the fact that Marvel the corporate entity is going to try to wring as much money out of the first issue as possible has anything to do with the quality of the book. I doubt Gaiman called up Joe Q and said,"Listen, I gotta get some scratch to finish off this Miracleman thing so here's what we do...."

When I heard Gaiman was doing Eternals I figured he'd do something cool with it. I've never read anything of his that was less than above-average, much of it first class. But if I had 50 guesses for the artist, JRJR would never have come close to being one of them. I haven't really read any of his books regularly since he took over X-Men from Paul Smith (kind of jarring transition), but the last thing I read, I think a promo book I got at Wizard World, showed some improvement but nothing that turned me into a fan. My impression is that he knows what to do but can't quite pull it off, and his touch with faces always looked odd to me. But, being an optimist, or at least always curious, I took a long look at the sketchbook they put out last week. There seemed to be 2 types of "sketches". First were character sheets with a full body shot and a couple head shots, very sterile. Second were striking full- or double-page spreads of Celestials and all sorts of cool Kirbyesque equipment and stuff. So I don't know. I'll read it for sure, but I'm prepared for the art to be some adequate panel pages punctuated with some nice expansive splashes.

I don't think you are in the minority. I thik it is a real love/hate deal with JRJr. Half the people love him, half hate him. No middle ground thumbsup2.gif

got to disagree on you...

JRJR first years of work were rather interesting/nice ones, presenting some good renditions.

my problem is that nowadays (it's been already a few years) there's simply no evolution and/or dedication on his work. everything looks like a "steryotipe of himself", like as if someone was trying to copie his style and exagerating it.

lack of details, panels that get bigger, all the characters look the same, the geometric reduction of (what one was a "style"), etc... and more important, HOW IN GODS NAME DOES SOMEONE WITH SUCH LOW QUALITY WORK GETS SO MUCH EXPOSURE?!

There's so many new talented persons who can/could present something new/different and specially more rich, and yet these "burned out" fellas still get to do "front row" titles!!!

it shows how the industry isn't concern with the artistic quality of the medium has a whole...just a business that his caracter driven, the art is always in second!!!

too bad, it could improve the audience general interest on new art directions (or something of good quality), but no...

this isn't a love or hate for an artist, more of a love for this form of art that could be several quality levels up if the editors wanted/had a decent artistic cultural level!!!

just my 2 cents

regards

JRJR first years of work were rather interesting/nice ones, presenting some good renditions.

my problem is that nowadays (it's been already a few years) there's simply no evolution and/or dedication on his work. everything looks like a "steryotipe of himself", like as if someone was trying to copie his style and exagerating it.

lack of details, panels that get bigger, all the characters look the same, the geometric reduction of (what one was a "style"), etc... and more important, HOW IN GODS NAME DOES SOMEONE WITH SUCH LOW QUALITY WORK GETS SO MUCH EXPOSURE?!

There's so many new talented persons who can/could present something new/different and specially more rich, and yet these "burned out" fellas still get to do "front row" titles!!!

it shows how the industry isn't concern with the artistic quality of the medium has a whole...just a business that his caracter driven, the art is always in second!!!

too bad, it could improve the audience general interest on new art directions (or something of good quality), but no...

this isn't a love or hate for an artist, more of a love for this form of art that could be several quality levels up if the editors wanted/had a decent artistic cultural level!!!

just my 2 cents

regards

I don't quite see how you disagree with me. You are obviously in that camp that hates the guy, but there are several on here that love him, as was seen in other posts (I specifically remember the Wolverine series discussion thread).

Anyway, I totally agree with you: JRJr lives off his father's reputation, and the semi-decent work he did very early in his career.

just my 2 cents

regards

I don't quite see how you disagree with me. You are obviously in that camp that hates the guy, but there are several on here that love him, as was seen in other posts (I specifically remember the Wolverine series discussion thread).

Anyway, I totally agree with you: JRJr lives off his father's reputation, and the semi-decent work he did very early in his career.

Between the i loving/like and "hating" goes a long way and i never felt that JRJR gathered such clear/abysmal division...so you see my point wink.gif

Hate is a rather powerfull word...i dislike his "current" work/style (the same goes for Scott Kollins as for another artist that imho is of low quality one and yet gets a lot of work), enough for me to turn me away from a title that i might like.

What makes me sad and revolted is the system/mentality that let artists such as him to stay for on and on and on in front of major titles, not presenting/opening the readers to others much more talented.

What i truly hate is the opportunity that is burned down every month to make this medium a more rich and diverse one. That i hate...

(ok i hate liefield, 27_laughing.gif, but JRJR still doesn't go that low...even if those sentry covers are some of the worst recently published)

regards