• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Hey Jeff, I have made up my mind lately that I will never own some of these books in High Grade. It seems like as the prices keep climbing the grade goals I set for myself keep lowering.

You can still enjoy the books without owning them. DC has now really started to churn out the reprints. DC Archives and Showcases are a great way to enjoy the material for pennies. I love just checking out these War threads (free)! I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can still love em without owning them.

The best part of my collection is my super low grade OAAW run I'm putting together. I can actually touch em without freaking out that I'm going to lower the grade some how.

Good Luck in your decision. It is one we will all have to make eventually when we pass on the collection or sell it off.

Larry

Jeff,

Perhaps you can put a hold on buying for a while, really look over your collection, and decide which books you really love and are happy to have, and sell the rest. Especially those that will be easier to reacquire later on.

I have no illusions of completeing a Big Five run but I can tell ya that I am very happy each time I go to the LCS or a show and add a copy or two to my collection. Maybe fewer goals and more love for the individual books as you get them...the goal withh eventuallyu take care of itself.

Good luck

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions guys. Maybe cutting back and focussing on paying off debts is the way to go. That will give me time to re-evaluate.

Sweet books indeed, Andy (thumbs u

I love the whole composition of the 79 and the colors on the 55 are just eye catching. :cloud9:

I think you meant the colors on the #85 are eye-catching, but you're also correct about the colors on the #55 being eye-catching (sorry, couldn't resist).

gic55.jpg

Sweet books indeed, Andy (thumbs u

I love the whole composition of the 79 and the colors on the 55 are just eye catching. :cloud9:

I think you meant the colors on the #85 are eye-catching, but you're also correct about the colors on the #55 being eye-catching (sorry, couldn't resist).

doh! Right, you are!

I couldn't make out the number on the 85 with my old eyes so I took a shot. I should have known to look it up if I wasn't sure!

Yeah, that 55's pretty nice too, dunno bout eye catching, but pretty nice. :grin:. :baiting:

Nice books Andy!! :cloud9: You sure dig up some nice books. (thumbs u

Mick,

WOW!! :o That GIC is stunning. :luhv:(worship) (worship)

Thanks Fay

I love all three of those books. All tough as nails to get in condition. The 55, incidentally, has one nuclear powered Severin interior (one of the FEW DC Severins from that time period) that is just a doozy every step of the way.

Andy, the 79 and 85 are some yowza copies! Those fall into the "Sturdy Thirty" washtone run. I still don't know whether it was Adler or Kanigher who decided that they should just churn out one washtone after another for damnednear 5 years. There isn't another run ANYWHERE in DC (no, Sea Devils wasn't even close) or any other title in any other publisher that can make that claim!