• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

has anyone from DC ever explained why they did this? Seems it would have been an internal accounting nightmare as much as it is a collectors headache for us now!

We still haven't figured out why the first 100 pager is DC 100 Pager #4 much less why they went with dual numbering.

My suspicion on dual numbering is that somebody thought you would get buyers who would get every 100 pager as well buyers who collect every issue of a title. Theoritically, therefore, dual numbering/titles would yield overall higher sales. Then a smart executive heard how confused accounting and the distributors were and stomped all over the innovator. Or something like that.

I dunno, dont have it in hand but I cant complain about the price (yet). Hopefully this is as nice as it looks. I wonder where all the heavy hitters were? $18!!!!!

37999.jpg

Sweet pick-up and I didn't even see it although I probably couldn't

have beaten you in a bidding battle.

I love that cover. :cloud9:

Mick,

Thanks for all the info on the Giants and I'm glad a few of

you are a bit confused by some of DC's numbering also. :gossip:

Man, those Atlas War books have only been on my radar since I joined the Boards, but I still haven't found any in decent grade at all.

That's a great selection Joe, thanks for sharing! #11 has one of the greatest War covers...ever :applause:

CBM had a great article where he speculated on why they started with #4. And also why DC Special Series started with 13 (Binky)... I forgot all the details though.. : (

Me too. :sorry:

And I don't recall it was definitive but since this is a long weekend I'll try to find the article.

That #26 is a rockin' cover. Very iconic. The #13 is interesting if only for the hammer and sickles on the tank hood. I don't recall seeing too many Atlas covers where soldiers were in direct combat with Russian troops. A few of the Atomic Age Atlas superhero revival Caps, HTs, Subbys, Young Men, Men's Adv. had soviet war propaganda covers, though. Strangely, I can't think of too many out and out war comics that did that, though.

Awesome selection of Atlas war books. (thumbs u

I loved # 16 and # 26.

Thanks for posting those classics. (worship)

I wonder if we could convince Buttock to post a few more

of his. What do you say Dan on this July 4th weekend? :acclaim:

:foryou:

That one is the #3 ^

My favorites from above are the #11 , #16 and the #26.

I'd like to see more of this run also if anyone has any to show :thumbsup:

I found a scan (or a picture?) of my #14 on my computer.

WarWar144.jpg

Awesome selection of Atlas war books. (thumbs u

I loved # 16 and # 26.

Thanks for posting those classics. (worship)

I wonder if we could convince Buttock to post a few more

of his. What do you say Dan on this July 4th weekend? :acclaim:

:foryou:

Sorry, I was out of town. Any requests? I'll dig through the scans I have for those with Russians.

That #26 is a rockin' cover. Very iconic. The #13 is interesting if only for the hammer and sickles on the tank hood. I don't recall seeing too many Atlas covers where soldiers were in direct combat with Russian troops. A few of the Atomic Age Atlas superhero revival Caps, HTs, Subbys, Young Men, Men's Adv. had soviet war propaganda covers, though. Strangely, I can't think of too many out and out war comics that did that, though.

I went through what I have, and this (e.g. Navy Combat 9) kind of confirms my suspicion - i.e. that the hammer & sickle wasn't representative of Russians, but rather communists in general. It may be that the respective artists were unaware of the distinction betweeen Russia (hammer & sickle) and Korea (red star) - but I doubt it as one of them is Severin, and he was perhaps the most detail oriented of all the GA artists. It may be what the editor wanted to get a broader appeal of the propaganda. It may also be that the Russians provided equipment to the Koreans with the hammer & sickle on it. But as evidenced by the Navy Combat 9, it's clearly Koreans with the hammer & sickle equipment.

On the other hand, look at the Spy Fighters 7 - you've got Koreans coming around the corner and the wall has a Nazi eagle with a hammer & sickle. This is Heath, another stickler for detail. Mick, if he's going to be in SD this year maybe you can ask him about this.

61458-NavyCombat9a.jpg.3b94b64bfdae18f00ecfcc98d9f32442.jpg

61459-battleground15a.jpg.d1d6e69f34b89965618149b49abd68b1.jpg

61460-spyfighters7a.jpg.ff84e97e1d9e630adfe8cee81091d8f5.jpg

61461-NavyAction4a.jpg.56003859526e07972e66f2a0bf6c76d2.jpg

I went through what I have, and this (e.g. Navy Combat 9) kind of confirms my suspicion - i.e. that the hammer & sickle wasn't representative of Russians, but rather communists in general. It may be that the respective artists were unaware of the distinction betweeen Russia (hammer & sickle) and Korea (red star) - but I doubt it as one of them is Severin, and he was perhaps the most detail oriented of all the GA artists. It may be what the editor wanted to get a broader appeal of the propaganda. It may also be that the Russians provided equipment to the Koreans with the hammer & sickle on it. But as evidenced by the Navy Combat 9, it's clearly Koreans with the hammer & sickle equipment.

On the other hand, look at the Spy Fighters 7 - you've got Koreans coming around the corner and the wall has a Nazi eagle with a hammer & sickle. This is Heath, another stickler for detail. Mick, if he's going to be in SD this year maybe you can ask him about this.

OOBA DOOBA! I just love those Atlas frogmen covers. Nice pair!

Is that Navy Combat #9 a River City?

Bill

Yup. Good eye! I'd probably commit a minor felony to get a real nice Navy Action 4 (or 2 for that matter...) It's a real shame about the marvel chipping on my copy because it's great otherwise.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Yup. Good eye! I'd probably commit a minor felony to get a real nice Navy Action 4 (or 2 for that matter...) It's a real shame about the marvel chipping on my copy because it's great otherwise.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

I hear ya! I have a bunch of BATTLE issues from the same era that have that same chipping defects...still a great book!