• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

low grade, but baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddaaaaaaaaaassssssssss

img391.jpg

Your low grade and my low grade are different. :D

Andy

Don't get me wrong. I just picked this up and I am VERY happy with it. It just looks a little better in the scan than it really is. Sweet book though. I have looked for (any) copy of it for a long time. Twice I found copies which I promptly purchased (online) only to be told it they didn't have the book. Very pleased with this copy.

Congrats, 'musha on this and the other fine pick-ups!!! (thumbs u

low grade, but baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddaaaaaaaaaassssssssss

img391.jpg

:o Awesome books Mike and this is a real Beauty. :cloud9:

Great pick-ups Shep and do you think E-bay has had more DC War

books listed lately with the increase in prices? I love that AAMOW 96

and need a nice copy.

I picked up a few low to mid grade books and the one book in the nicest

shape I wanted and was winning until my E-bay nemesis, Goldust40

swoops in and wins as usual. Hi Andy :hi::frustrated:

Love this cover. :cloud9:

SSWS75.jpg

A couple more I've been looking for:

OFF77.jpg

OFF65.jpg

One more to combine shipping:

SSWS67.jpg

A real solid book from Canadian Andy's last sales thread. :hi:

AAMOW57fc-1.jpg

Nothing HG, but I love them all. :luhv:

Great pick-ups Shep and do you think E-bay has had more DC War

books listed lately with the increase in prices? I love that AAMOW 96

and need a nice copy.

I picked up a few low to mid grade books and the one book in the nicest

shape I wanted and was winning until my E-bay nemesis, Goldust40

swoops in and wins as usual. Hi Andy :hi::frustrated:

Love this cover. :cloud9:

SSWS75.jpg

me too :cloud9:

Edited by Paratrooper

Yeah, me too... I've been looking for that book for a while, and this is the first halfway decent one I've seen. Strange - you'd think there'd be quite a few of these out there, but no.

And Fay, your question about whether or not there's more war stuff on ebay these days... i think there is, actually, particularly 1960 - 1965 material. I've seen a lot of it this year. Not a lot of sharp VF and better, but loads of midgrade.... some at spectacular deals. I've seen completely respectable copies of many SSWS, OFF and AAMOW going for less that $10.00.... so I do think there's more material out there these days.

Anyone else score anything cool lately?

Shep

What's crazy about Heath is that he was drawing very realistic-looking armor and planes back in the 1950s, when everyone made EVERY tank look like a Sherman, and EVERY plane look like a Mustang.

There's just so much craftsmanship and love in every panel that he drew, and he made everything so friggin' TASTY. As the Slings and Arrows Guide to Comics has said, 'Russ Heath seems quite incapable of drawing badly.'

Shep

Sorry to slightly derail this thread but does anybody remember what the Oakland copy of SSWS #138 sold for. I remember it was around December 2006 time as i placed a bid on it myself. It was also mentioned in another thread at the time because a board member here(1 of the main war guys) tried to snipe it but was outbid. If anybody has a link to that discuassion id be pleased to see it because for the life of me i just cant find it. Thanks.

Hey Parkinson,

Was the book CGC graded, and if so what was the grade? And if ungraded, can you remember off-hand what the grade was.

When it comes to pedigreed books of key Silver Age issues, often they get sold to the big-money guys outside of the 'war-only' collector sphere. You might want to ask in the comics general thread, and see if anyone knows.

One guy on these boards who might know is johnnock - he had a sweet CGC collection of the SSWS Enemy Ace books, and in his searching for those, he may well have been involved in the auction for the #138.

Frankly, I didn't even know there was an Oakland of that book. I know there's a Boston, and a Curator (which I'm happy to say that I own through a sale here on these boards).

Great book - good luck in finding the info!

Shep