• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

I don't know if any one here wants to participate but figured I'd cross post this from the GA thread just in case:

Link to the GA Thread

Welcome everyone to this year's Golden Age Forum Memorial Week Post-A-Thon.

This year’s Post-A-Thon will begin on Friday, May 22 and run thru the following Saturday May, 30 (actual Memorial Day).

Rules: (The rules are fairly simple)

1). Make a pledge of however much you want to contribute to the veteran’s Organization of YOUR choice. Typically, we either pledge a dime a cover or a flat pledge is also possible. However, you can make a pledge of time or a donation, your services, or of physical goods as well. Local organizations especially can use volunteers.

2). Contribute during the Post-A-Thon week in the Post thread by sharing your war covers and war-related comic stories from the 30s, 40s and 50s. Please keep the observations and smilies to this thread, so we can keep the Post thread "clean" with just covers/stories.

3). When posting, please no group shots, or limit group shots to 6-8 books max. Afterall, part of the fun of the Post-A-Thon is getting to appreciate these wonderful books in all their individual glory. Also, please make sure the books you are posting are yours, no need to swipe scans from the Heritage archives just to grow the Post Count. This year, we will also include war-related comic stories in the thread (a 10-page story still counts as one post) for those that want to scan or photograph them to share.

4). I will keep a running total of the Post Count throughout the week, and will let you know where we finish at. Once the Post-A-Thon is over, honor your Pledge and make your donation and come back to the thread to let us know you did it. This all works on the Honor System, you do not send your donations to me or anyone else but directly to the vet organization of your choice.

Another quick note:

This is not, and is not meant to be, a political thread. As Golden Age collectors, most of us love war covers and the war-related stories from the 40s-50s, and we are simply sharing that fondness in this thread. Those who pledge are also making trying to make a difference in the lives of the men and women who served, or are still serving, this country. Regardless of political or philosophical beliefs, even the most ardent anti-war American can agree that the service men and women returning home from the current war could all benefit from things like counseling, physical therapy, enhanced job training and further education so that they successfully integrate back into our society.

There are vet groups who provide those services to veterans, and I think their efforts cross over all social and political lines. There are also groups devoted to preserving the history and legacy of our veterans, so that future generations will always remember their sacrifice. There are even "watchdog" organizations who work on behalf of veterans to insure they receive all the care and government benefits they are duly entitled to. So, no matter what your political inclinations, I'm sure you can find a worthy organization whose work will agree with your particular sensibilities.

Some organizations worthy of your pledges:

Disabled Veterans of America

Paralyzed Veterans of America

Operation Gratitude

Homes for Our Troops

Blinded Veterans Association

Walter Reed Army Medical Center

American Veterans Center

National Veterans Foundation

Veterans of Foreign Wars Makes a huge difference with programs like National Military Services, Operation Uplink, and the National Veterans Service Fund.

The American Legion

and there are hundreds more local organizations right in your own community that can benefit from your donation of time and/or money. Check them out...

Thanks everyone and let's make this one heck of a good showing.... :applause:

I wonder why DC waited so long before advertising Sgt Rock in big colorful letters on the covers of OAAW? Prior to 158, the OAAW logo was prevalent and it was only a small mention of "Sgt Rock's Easy Co" In fact, this seemed to emphasize that DC was trying to promote not just Rock but the whole of Easy Co. However, on the cover of 158, Rock gets huge billing in big block letters and the OAAW logo is now smaller.

I understand why they chose to start giving him that kind of attention on the covers, but you have to wonder why it took them 75+ issues to get to that point.

80023.jpg.70138bce45e339869d1037d9badba754.jpg

80024.jpg.71df590d1160a5ef0c419b2d111880eb.jpg

Edited by Jeffro

Jeff,

It's a good question. The only answer I can think of is that because DC war comics were always steady sellers, but not barn-burners, DC management was leery of rebranding an anthology book to a single character until they KNEW that character was going to last.

Sgt. Rock seems like a gimme in hindsight, but in 1966 the character was only 7 years old. And Gunner and Sarge were not selling a ton of OFF, and Johnny Cloud wasn't selling AAMOW. Add that to the fact that Capt. Storm wasn't a huge success, and it might point to the conservative thinking from DC management and editorial. I think the fact that they didn't change the titles of other anthology books look like Strange Adventures and Mystery in Space, even though they flirted with dominant characters (albeit, not ones that were long-lived.)

Sheesh, look at G.I. Combat. Even though the Haunted Tank ran for over 25 years, they never surrendered the masthead to the main character (which might not have been a bad idea - 'Haunted Tank' might have been a more evocative title in the 1980s than 'G.I. Combat'.

Still, in retrospect, Sgt. Rock seemed like such a winner out of the gate. You'd think they would have beefed up the Sgt. Rockness from the get-go.

Man. I loved that tri-colour Sgt. Rock logo!

Shep

Man. I loved that tri-colour Sgt. Rock logo!

Looks like one of those "Space Pops" or something like that. One of those old ice cream or flavoured-water treat. :luhv:

Andy

Still, in retrospect, Sgt. Rock seemed like such a winner out of the gate. You'd think they would have beefed up the Sgt. Rockness from the get-go.

Maybe we can't know unless we see some sale data from those days. (shrug)

One thing I thought of was maybe they were trying to compete more directly with Sgt Fury. Perhaps putting SGT ROCK in the red, white, and blue was an attempt to let more people know that DC had its own (and infinitely better, imo) kick sergeant.