• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

Hi All! I'm Rob the one that got the Russ Heath stuff for FAY!

First of all to hear the pure joy and excitement in Fay for getting these

for her makes it all worthwhile!!

Russ was really cool and talked a bit to me and is quite the comedian too.

He was looking at some of the covers and critiqueing them and saying things like,

"Why would they make the background and the sky pink? Look at the way they

made this explosion look! It makes no sense it looks like two different explosions at the same time! Why would they make my tank Purple?? There's no purple tanks!" He also told me at one point he would stand up and take a bow but he's

too old couldn't get up unless it was to use the rest room.

I bought some other covers of his that I will try to post some time later in this thread. I bought them from Ted of SUPERWORLD. While a heck of a nice guy,

he in my opinion tends to overgrade and is over priced! I got two signed on the

cover and two signed on the inside. While I'm not a big war book buff, I can

definitely appreciate them and his work!

Thanks!! Rob

My friend I met a few years back on e-bay that had Russ Heath sign

OFF 94 for me at the Motor City Con sent on another e-mail tonight

and he said he had another surprise for me. I need to get this baby framed. :cloud9:

I love the way Russ Heath left off the writing on the big rock in

the fore ground and any other writing except for the title and I've

seen two other re-creations by the Master and on both he had done

the same sort of thing. :luhv:

gi1.jpg

:luhv: <3 :cloud9::)

gi2.jpg

Thank You once again Rob and it will be framed as soon as it

arrives. (worship) (worship) (worship)

:foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou: :foryou:

That's gorgeous, Fay! :cloud9:

Andy

Hi All! I'm Rob the one that got the Russ Heath stuff for FAY!

First of all to hear the pure joy and excitement in Fay for getting these

for her makes it all worthwhile!!

Russ was really cool and talked a bit to me and is quite the comedian too.

He was looking at some of the covers and critiqueing them and saying things like,

"Why would they make the background and the sky pink? Look at the way they

made this explosion look! It makes no sense it looks like two different explosions at the same time! Why would they make my tank Purple?? There's no purple tanks!" He also told me at one point he would stand up and take a bow but he's

too old couldn't get up unless it was to use the rest room.

I bought some other covers of his that I will try to post some time later in this thread. I bought them from Ted of SUPERWORLD. While a heck of a nice guy,

he in my opinion tends to overgrade and is over priced! I got two signed on the

cover and two signed on the inside. While I'm not a big war book buff, I can

definitely appreciate them and his work!

Thanks!! Rob

Thanks for posting, Rob. (thumbs u

Would love to see some more of your books if you'd like to post them.

Ted is a great guy, but as you said, tends to overgrade a bit. You can factor that into your price, or just try to get a better price from him. I've found that he is really easy to wheel and deal with.

Andy

Ted is a great guy, but as you said, tends to overgrade a bit. You can factor that into your price, or just try to get a better price from him. I've found that he is really easy to wheel and deal with.

Andy

Ordered a book from him once, It was an early OFF (froget the number, purple cover of a guy on the deck of a submarine) that he had listed as Fine. When I opened the package the entire front cover was separated from the book. He was very friendly and gave me a prompt refund but I'll never order anything from him again sight unseen. I'll gladly buy from him at shows though. As long as I can examine the book, it's all good.

Andy

Ordered a book from him once, It was an early OFF (froget the number, purple cover of a guy on the deck of a submarine) that he had listed as Fine. When I opened the package the entire front cover was separated from the book. He was very friendly and gave me a prompt refund but I'll never order anything from him again sight unseen. I'll gladly buy from him at shows though. As long as I can examine the book, it's all good.

Ted's one of the nicest guys in comics, and if you can buy from him at a show, you're golden. I bought a copy of SSWS #151 that he graded as VF for $80, and it was badly UNDERgraded... easily a 9.2, with a decent 9.4 shot (especially nowadays that 9.2 is the new 9.4!).

Sweet fella, though, and he loves to talk comics.

Oh, and Fay, nice page from Russ!!

Shep

I think I need four more to complete my Captain Storm Run and maybe

you experts can tell me why the one legged warrior seems to get no

respect from collectors.

Navy books in general get no respect compared to infantry and air. Short-run titles find it hard to get respect as well. (Blitzkrieg and Blazing Combat excepted.)

Edited by HouseofComics.Com

I think I need four more to complete my Captain Storm Run and maybe

you experts can tell me why the one legged warrior seems to get no

respect from collectors.

Navy books in general get no respect compared to infantry and air. Short-run titles find it hard to get respect as well. (Blitzkrieg and Blazing Combat excepted.)

Thanks Mark and thanks for the compliments on my new cover

re-creation guys. (worship)

The Bunky Brothers had a nice Atlas Navy Combat I was planning

on binning until the car problems hit. Buttock or Dan posted an

awesome Russ Heath cover of an Atlas Navy Combat # 2 that

was incredible. :luhv:

I see your point though and it makes sense. (thumbs u The Captain

Storm covers seem a little more comical than dramatic like many of

the other DC Big Five.

Edited by Fazybones

My opinion about Capt Storm is basically...........the best thing DC did with the character was cancel that series and put him in the Losers.

Quite a brilliant move by DC to take four characters that couldn't sustain their own titles and put them together in a group. Gave them new life. Of course, Big Al, Little Al, and Charlie Cigar got totally screwed. :mad:

:jokealert: