• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Thanks for the compliments!

And they are in there original non-slabbed glory

For my money, this is the only way to handle them because as nice as the scans and covers appear, they are more impressive in person as you feel like you are holding something that just arrived in a time capsule from 1957.

AAMOW8.jpg

Incredible Salidas. Haven't been treated to a barrage of eye candy of that scale in a LONG time.

And Adam Strange is right when he says you gotta hold 'em in your hand to truly appreciate 'em. I think that's his humble way of inviting us all over to his house to check 'em out, right Adam? If you're extra nice, he'll even make you some chocolate-chip brownies that are nearly as sensational as the Salidas themselves!!!

Andy, I haven't had a chance to check the boards for the last few days.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a bit stunned. I've been in contact with you via email, PM, and a few phone calls over the last few years. Never met you in person, but I feel like you've been my next door neighbor and fishing buddy for decades now. Your presence on these boards is absolutely integral to the community we've built within this thread in particular. I am bummed you're selling them, but once a person has committed to doing it, I understand that it's easier to take the leap. Regardless, I'm hoping you'll stick around in these here parts.

You are unquestionably one of the biggest DC war fan boys that ever walked the planet. Hell, you've completed your collection. There are only 3 other such people that I know of who've done that in more than 20 years of collecting these things. That is a monumental thing.

Hmmm. . .this selling the entirety of one's war collection thing sounds vaguely familiar. Last time somebody purged himself of a DC war collection, he came back to collecting with a vengeance (and he hasn't let up). hm

In all seriousness, I know I ain't the only one who hopes you'll stick around for the long haul. Wouldn't be the same without you, buddy!

Man, I've never been into pedigrees but boy are those sweet. Can't believe the colors on these books,

I love the cover of that OAAW #40.

Thanks for letting us browse your collection Mick!

off51.jpg

Yummy, yummy number fifty-oney! :D

Thank you as well, Mick for your kind words. As I've mentioned before, I'm not really taking off. I'm just selling off my best books and many highest-graded copies. Sounds terrible when I read that aloud. doh!

Having a complete set of the Big Five was a great challenge for me and a lot of fun hunting and putting it together. A fair amount of cash was involved too. Completing my second set was monumental as well, but didn't give me the same feeling as the first time around. As I sell off these beauties, I know that in the future, if I want to try to put a run together again, it will be a goal within reach.

I love looking at all of these books. Thanks so much, everybody, for posting them. (thumbs u

Andy

oaaw40.jpg

Gorgeous Mick!!! One of my favorite covers of all time, and one that was a monumental task for me to find in lowly FN condition. Easily one of the tougher pre-1960 covers.

As a side note, the G.I. jumping out of the tree looks JUST like Russ Heath looked back in those days. Russ was fond of using a mirror to get facial expressions... sometimes they came out looking like him, like on this cover.

Great, great, great books these days guys!

Shep