• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Fantastic Grandenetti cover!! :applause:

oaaw37.jpg

Nice Warfronts! Loving your collection...

I loved Lee Elias' artwork - totally underrated. Wish that he drew more DC war than he did.

Another nice series he did was the Kronos tales that were in the back of Warren's 'The Rook'. Great war stuff.

Shep

I agree with you about Lee Elias. He's a much underrated artist.

I vacillated about posting those Warfronts since this is, after all, the Silver Age forum and those are pre-code books.

(shrug)

I post pre-code Atlas books here all the time. I think that when it comes to war comics, Silver is basically anything from 1950 to 1969.

Those are nice copies. Any good art on the insides?

Shep

Those are nice copies. Any good art on the insides?

Overall the art isn't as slick as you find in the DC war books from the late fifties and on. Generally just one out of the four stories in each book is pencilled by Lee Elias.

What's really interesting though is that the stories in Warfront aren't gung-ho "war is a picnic" ones like the ones in Sgt. Fury for example. The feature character of the stories is actually killed sometimes. The stories therefore don't necessarily have happy endings and the Americans don't win every encounter.

Here are scans from my collection of some seldomnly seen Warfront books:

I love the cover references to Red lice!

:cool:

Wow, those are some great books! I hope the stories are 1/2 as exciting as the covers.

Bill

Two great books. The 35 does have a killer cover (thumbs u

Two great books. The 35 does have a killer cover (thumbs u

I love the Heath story in 35. He does a brilliant job depicting the desert heat and, even better, it takes place around the Sphinx. (thumbs u