• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

It is inDEED truly amazing what Keith's scored in the last 5 years. A Herculean task to be sure.
Also true for another DC War collection put together by a Boardie. :whistle:

There are so many great collections here. I wish I could get Matt B. to join the boards as well.

I decided that completeness was not an important enough reason to buy bunches of comics that I had no interest in buying.

True. Your collection; you define the runs you want.

(thumbs u

It is inDEED truly amazing what Keith's scored in the last 5 years. A Herculean task to be sure.
Also true for another DC War collection put together by a Boardie. :whistle:

There are so many great collections here. I wish I could get Matt B. to join the boards as well.

(thumbs u

With 10¢ers, virtually every one of 'em is truly tough in grade, but for some reason there are a few that just can't seem to find a home [because all the serious collectors ALREADY have a copy?????]. For some reason, I've seen OFF 12 in 8.0 or better numerous times. Not sure if it's the SAME OFF 12, but there's an example of a fantastic 10¢ book in grade that just can't find a good home. Does each of the high grade collectors on these boards have that? I'd be all over it if it were a couple issues above or below it, but I have a copy of #12 so I don't need it.

collections for decades, but do these collectors have the war books?

I'd say that a lot of the same books are circulating again and again. OFF 12 CGC 8.0 is one for sure. I'd say that there are many. Perhaps they came from Keith, then me, then eBay, then ComicLink. Around and around they go. :ohnoez:

For some reason, I've seen OFF 12 in 8.0 or better numerous times. Not sure if it's the SAME OFF 12, but there's an example of a fantastic 10¢ book in grade that just can't find a good home. Does each of the high grade collectors on these boards have that?

One of my favs...

off12.jpg

Newsboy (thumbs u

A Salida beauty (thumbs u

The book is common in high grade! :o

I don't actually think that's the case. Just an example where we are probably seeing the top 2 copies (lovely Newsboy!) that happened to be owned by Boardies.

A Salida beauty (thumbs u

The book is common in high grade! :o

I don't actually think that's the case. Just an example where we are probably seeing the top 2 copies (lovely Newsboy!) that happened to be owned by Boardies.

Agreed, though obviously having just a few extra copies in higher grades can affect the perception of availability.

a question for the guy's and gal's of this great war forum; how many of you have tried to complete the big 5 titles. i have been working on it seriously for a while and my,what a undertaking,esp. with limited funds.

I'm only working on portions of the Big Five and other DC war books.

The first title I decided to peck away at was Capt. Storm quite simply because it was the only DC war comic I actively bought as a kid. I've been at it for 25 years and I still need seven of the eighteen issues.

Twenty years ago I decided to pick up the All-American Men of War Battle Aces of 3 Wars books. I've picked up only four.

About fifteen years ago I decided to start working on two more runs - Enemy Ace and Capt. Hunter in Our Fighting Forces. I'm within one issue of completing the run of books where Enemy Ace is the title character but I'm stalled out on the Capt. Hunter run with only four books.

About eight years ago I decided to go after the dinosaur cover Star Spangled War Stories books. I'm nearly half complete.

Two years ago I decided to peck away at Our Army at War/Sgt. Rock and G.I. Combat books featuring work by Joe Kubert, Russ Heath or Ross Andru since I really like the artwork of these fellows. I've only picked up a very few because my income has nosedived recently.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

A friend of taste and distinction, for sure! :applause:

A gift from a very good friend...

oaaw103.jpg

LCS. This same dealer let go of a GI Combat 87 in similar shape (maybe a touch worse) for $60. I missed it by 10 minutes.

The guy that bought that $60 G.I. Combat 87 has agreed to sell it to me.

For $60! :whee:

I think a complete collection can be put together. And a high grade one (7.0 or better) at that. You just have to be diligent. And really throw some money at it. That is what Keith did. He put that collection together in a relatively short amount of time (under five years). He made it very clear that he would pay more than anyone. He never turned a book down either. Because of that, for the years preceding his sale, every high grade war book that went anywhere near a dealer was immediately offered to Keith. And he was over 90% complete through the 12 centers when he sold. He has since completed the G.I. Combats and Rock Our Army at Wars again, all in killer shape. So it can be done.

I have been amazed at what he has been able to acquire as I believe this 2nd or 3rd attempt at the collection seems to be even higher grade than the first.

I don't understand the guy. Why would he sell his collection and then immediately start pecking away at the same books?

???

I think a complete collection can be put together. And a high grade one (7.0 or better) at that. You just have to be diligent. And really throw some money at it. That is what Keith did. He put that collection together in a relatively short amount of time (under five years). He made it very clear that he would pay more than anyone. He never turned a book down either. Because of that, for the years preceding his sale, every high grade war book that went anywhere near a dealer was immediately offered to Keith. And he was over 90% complete through the 12 centers when he sold. He has since completed the G.I. Combats and Rock Our Army at Wars again, all in killer shape. So it can be done.

I have been amazed at what he has been able to acquire as I believe this 2nd or 3rd attempt at the collection seems to be even higher grade than the first.

I don't understand the guy. Why would he sell his collection and then immediately start pecking away at the same books?

???

His personal circumstances changed and the comics were used to take care of more important matters.

LCS. This same dealer let go of a GI Combat 87 in similar shape (maybe a touch worse) for $60. I missed it by 10 minutes.

The guy that bought that $60 G.I. Combat 87 has agreed to sell it to me.

For $60! :whee:

Congrats!!! :whee: :whee:

???

His personal circumstances changed and the comics were used to take care of more important matters.

A lot of times we sell books when we really don't want to. Its the realty of holding high dollar books. But as they say, "C'est la vie."