• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

OAAW#83 cgc 8.0 for $17K ?!?! at Heritage

I know the DC war is kind of a niche market, but this was a hefty price.

This is the second best one out there, but for the long-term is this really blue chip and reasonable ?!

Understandably, a first Rock doesn't come up for auction every week (less than 50 cgc'd)... but to think X-Men#1 at 8.0 can be grabbed up for "only" $12K these days and may be more of a staple in the long-term collectors market (?)

Just a thought. Sorry, I was just stunned by this one.

My question is... if a cgc 8.0 goes for $18K, what does the solid raw 5.0 that us mere mortals typically have rate? Do we think the prices on the high end will start affecting the mid-grades on that particular book?

Love to hear the thoughts...

This is the second best one out there, but for the long-term is this really blue chip and reasonable ?!

Understandably, a first Rock doesn't come up for auction every week (less than 50 cgc'd)... but to think X-Men#1 at 8.0 can be grabbed up for "only" $12K these days and may be more of a staple in the long-term collectors market (?)

My question is... if a cgc 8.0 goes for $18K, what does the solid raw 5.0 that us mere mortals typically have rate? Do we think the prices on the high end will start affecting the mid-grades on that particular book?

Love to hear the thoughts...

my thoughts are all #83s are the book to own. Grade is unimportant. Well, what I mean is, the price jump should be across the board. The highest graded will always be nosebleed high. A 5.0 is a thousand bucks (ish).

I'm stunned too. That's my old copy picked up a long time ago when a collector liquidated his DC war collection. I traded it a couple years after I got it or I would still have it. It's a very sharp looking 8.0 -- great colors and eye appeal.

Heritage's auction of Keith's books is on right now live.

I picked this beauty up:

gic55cgc94.jpg

Wish I were more in the market. There are some absolutely amazing books going for relatively un-amazing prices. Books you may never see again in these kinds of grades.

Andy

That book is smoking hot Andy. :cloud9:

Killer!!!! :headbang:

I'm stunned too. That's my old copy picked up a long time ago when a collector liquidated his DC war collection. I traded it a couple years after I got it or I would still have it. It's a very sharp looking 8.0 -- great colors and eye appeal.

I think the pent up demand bubbled up with the last CLink auction where a 7.5 went for $9k. There were obviously some large bidders locked out of that book. So, when the 8.0 showed up this month, I'm assuming some folks decided that this one was a "must have". Price may be a little steep, but I think the market is saying that OAAW #83 is the first true appearance of Sgt Rock, on of DC's most popular characters of all-time (somewhere on the list anyway :) )

True that first Rock is a tough book to get, but I'm thinking Sgt Rock is not a household name (?).... and it's such a strange market with us war collectors ! .... Is this price sustainable in 20 years or is it just a crazy bubble in the short-term ?

I'm thinking a B&B#28 (1st Justice League) or Showcase#22 (1st GL) in 8.0 is much more solid in the long-term. Proven characters in the broad sense.

On the other hand, I can appreciate those elite collectors who want the high-end OAAW#83 since it is the holy grail of DC War, so they will pay through the nose for it.

The 4.5 on C-Link should go for at least $2K if it's that tough a book that hardly comes around.

True that first Rock is a tough book to get, but I'm thinking Sgt Rock is not a household name (?).... and it's such a strange market with us war collectors ! .... Is this price sustainable in 20 years or is it just a crazy bubble in the short-term ?

I'm thinking a B&B#28 (1st Justice League) or Showcase#22 (1st GL) in 8.0 is much more solid in the long-term. Proven characters in the broad sense.

On the other hand, I can appreciate those elite collectors who want the high-end OAAW#83 since it is the holy grail of DC War, so they will pay through the nose for it.

The 4.5 on C-Link should go for at least $2K if it's that tough a book that hardly comes around.

In my opinion, the war books have nowhere to go but up, in terms of popularity. It's an untapped market that is just beginning to catch on. I really don't see this as a phase that's hot for the time being.

Andy 2c

I agree with Andy... this is THE monster book to have if you collect war comics, with nothing but upward potential. And I personally think that it solidifies OAAW #83 as the first appearance of Sgt. Rock in the minds of collectors at large.

One thing that's interesting to look out for is if these prices continue to pull quality books into the market, and if this jump start war book prices again.

As a collector of silver books in mid grade, I'm always interested in the affect that the high-end sales have on the books a bit further down the food chain.

I agree with Andy... this is THE monster book to have if you collect war comics, with nothing but upward potential. And I personally think that it solidifies OAAW #83 as the first appearance of Sgt. Rock in the minds of collectors at large.

One thing that's interesting to look out for is if these prices continue to pull quality books into the market, and if this jump start war book prices again.

As a collector of silver books in mid grade, I'm always interested in the affect that the high-end sales have on the books a bit further down the food chain.

Sgt Rock has name recognition even from folks that don't know that he came from comics. I don't think there's any fictional character in the war genre (movies/books/comics/etc) that is anywhere close to Rock today or likely to gain similar or greater recognition.

Sgt Rock has name recognition even from folks that don't know that he came from comics. I don't think there's any fictional character in the war genre (movies/books/comics/etc) that is anywhere close to Rock today or likely to gain similar or greater recognition.

1) Folks know who Rock is.

2) The facts are finally getting straightened out and accepted on the progression of Rock's origin. OAAW 83 is the key.

3) At this time the darn book is incredibly tough in grade. And the fact that it is a late fifties DC (scarcer across the board) from a long overlooked and under appreciated (uncollected) genre with a dark colored cover leads most to believe that there won't be many high grades turning up in the future.

It will always be a sort of niche market book. A key niche market book though. And look at what some of the other niche books are doing these days. Archie? Richie Rich? Phantom Lady 17? Spirit 22?

Heck, the nicest Sgt. Fury 1 just went for a ton of dough.

"Heck, the nicest Sgt. Fury 1 just went for a ton of dough."

the 9.4 yesterday? I thought it would crack 50K because 9.4 #1s don't show up all that often. Feels like Sgt Fury #1 hasnt shot up in value like all the other Marvel first appearances that are, in the census, many times more plentiful in HG.

I'm about to start a 'show us your OAAW #83' thread, just for fun!

I'm in!

BTW, here are the books I got from yesterday's auction...

gicombat69.jpg

gicombat83.jpg

oaaw82.jpg

oaaw107.jpg

I'm about to start a 'show us your OAAW #83' thread, just for fun!

I'm in!

BTW, here are the books I got from yesterday's auction...

gicombat83.jpg

]

I think I was the under bidder on this book. Didn't push it further because its not really in my collecting interests but I do appreciate great art and tough high grade books from that era. Sorry I ran the price up a bit on you. :(