• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I think I've reached my goal for collecting DC war comics, and then I wondered, what's the goal of the rest of you folks? Are you collecting keys, washtones, certain runs, etc.? :gossip: I'm very curious if anyone wants to share! Have any of you reached your end goal, or do you keep trading and selling?

That's a tough question and when two more packages arrive next week I

will have added 116 DC War books to my Big Five and WWT collection

this year. I love them all and might take a small break from DC War for a

little while because there are so many other cool books out there. I've tried

to purchase any OAAW or GIC books and covers that I think are cool from

the other three titles. I always tell myself to buy less and buy better quality

and I lack the patience for this it seems. :makepoint:

I'm really sorry to hear Keith lost some cash on his wheeling and dealing

and to each his own I guess and he is a great seller and a pleasure to deal

with and I hope to buy some more books from him. I don't think I will ever

be a wheeler dealer and I'm terrible at the financial side of this hobby and I

collect strictly for fun and to meet other collectors. I already have a great job

and a decent part time job on the internet and I just can't see myself worrying

if pressing a book will get that grade bump I need to make money and all the

other worries involved in trying to make money off our wonderful hobby. I'm not

criticizing anyone for doing this and in many ways I'm jealous and wish I could

do the same on a small scale.

Here's a few books that have arrived recently and the few on the way.

SSWS7580.jpg

OFF9370.jpg

GIC12470.jpg

AAMOW113CGC85.jpg

AAMOW9975.jpg

AAMOW10080.jpg

AAMOW9580.jpg

AAMOW10485.jpg

OFF2060.jpg

OAAW4350.jpg

OAAW5760.jpg

OAAW7550.jpg

OAAW7950.jpg

Edited by Fazybones

I think I've reached my goal for collecting DC war comics, and then I wondered, what's the goal of the rest of you folks? Are you collecting keys, washtones, certain runs, etc.? :gossip: I'm very curious if anyone wants to share! Have any of you reached your end goal, or do you keep trading and selling?

That's a tough question and when two more packages arrive next week I

will have added 116 DC War books to my Big Five and WWT collection

this year. I love them all and might take a small break from DC War for a

little while because there are so many other cool books out there. I've tried

to purchase any OAAW or GIC books and covers that I think are cool from

the other three titles. I always tell myself to buy less and buy better quality

and I lack the patience for this it seems. :makepoint:

I'm really sorry to hear Keith lost some cash on his wheeling and dealing

and to each his own I guess and he is a great seller and a pleasure to deal

with and I hope to buy some more books from him. I don't think I will ever

be a wheeler dealer and I'm terrible at the financial side of this hobby and I

collect strictly for fun and to meet other collectors. I already have a great job

and a decent part time job on the internet and I just can't see myself worrying

if pressing a book will get that grade bump I need to make money and all the

other worries involved in trying to make money off our wonderful hobby. I'm not

criticizing anyone for doing this and in many ways I'm jealous and wish I could

do the same on a small scale.

Here's a few books that have arrived recently and the few on the way.

SSWS7580.jpg

OFF9370.jpg

GIC12470.jpg

AAMOW113CGC85.jpg

AAMOW9975.jpg

AAMOW10080.jpg

AAMOW9580.jpg

AAMOW10485.jpg

OFF2060.jpg

OAAW4350.jpg

OAAW5760.jpg

OAAW7550.jpg

OAAW7950.jpg

:gossip: .....I've got some bad news, Faye......ALL of them have cool covers. :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

lol Very true Jim and I'm sure my plams will fail and that explains why I keep buying so many issues from all of the Big Five. :insane:

my plans keep failing also,faye. started out just collecting big 5 from 1959 on,then to try to get all of them. down to around 90 issues to complete

I was going through some 10 cent books last night and the thought of letting some go (as I stated previously in this thread) was troubling, to say the least. lol Maybe I'm just not ready.

It's funny, when I first stated collecting I was, like a lot of people I think, into superheroes in a big way. Now, 20-30 years later, the vast majority of those books in my collection mean almost nothing to me. I could sell them without batting an eye. My war comics, on the other hand, would be a bit more difficult.

This is the same case for me. I still have some non war books, but it's maybe 5%-10% of the superhero books that I used to have. My war books however I have no intention of selling anytime soon. I do have to control my spending better, and I am happy that very soon I will have the run that I set out to collect, and can put them away and take a break from collecting/spending. I have been selfish at times over the years spending money that I know I shouldn't, but I am not going to sell the books now to rectify it. If I stop spending money on more books, I can have the books I have collected and still have money to do more things with my family.

I went from all Big 5 grey tone covers/cool covers that I liked, to focusing on just early Sgt Rocks, Sgt Rock Prototype books, & Big 5 10 cent frogman covers. I believe I have all of the 10 cent Big 5 frogman covers. Some are low grade and I would upgrade them if I could, but I am not really actively looking for them.

I need 3 more issues to finish my mini run of Our Army at War 78-113 (103-105 F or better if anyone has them for sale) I have a number of Sgt Rock prototypes, but I'm still missing a bunch.

When I get the last 3 OAAWs I need I am going to take a break from buying comics all together. When I start up again, I plan to expand the OAAW run in small pieces. Maybe will look to add 114-128, and then look to expand further once that is completed. When I have a range of books spread out over too many issues, I start selling them off to buy other books. I have to keep my collecting to small runs.

Hello fellas (and Fay),

Thanks to everyone for sharing! I appreciate the insights and the collecting stories. I might be the only one from this group who collected the Signature Series DC war books. Now that the great Joe Kubert has passed on (may he rest in peace), I have stopped. I was feeling sad for that, as he and Russ Heath represent a connection to the WW2 era and to the guys who served with my late grandfather in that war. It's hard to realize how the WW2 generation is leaving us, and the DC war books and these great artists and writers are a way to keep that connection for me. But it cheers me up to read about the passionate collectors in this thread, as these books represent an "honoring" of the men and women of the greatest generation. (thumbs u

Rather than start a new thread i was wondering if anybody here feels that there are some War books that are still undervalued compared to the guide. I always thought that OAAW #83 was seriously undervalued but now this has caught up. The other book i was thinking of is OAAW #151 1st Enemy Ace. A key character with regards to DC War and rarely turns up in high grade probably due to the black cover. If anybody has a 9.4 id love to see it. (thumbs u

2 very undervalued books in high grade-

SSWS 84

OAAW 168

G.I. Combat 138

OFF 123

John

All great choices and have you guys seen that CGC 9.4 SSWS 82 on

C-Link right now? That cover and that book is sweet and it would look good

in Mike's Frogman collection. (thumbs u

I see a bunch of sweet additions to C-link and are those Richard's or Keith's

books? I hope they're not Richard's and it nice having him drop by this section

once in a while.

Here's that SSWS 82 and I bought an extra Loto-Max ticket for tonight's draw. :wishluck:

SSWS82.jpg

2 very undervalued books in high grade-

SSWS 84

OAAW 168

G.I. Combat 138

OFF 123

John

All great choices and have you guys seen that CGC 9.4 SSWS 82 on

C-Link right now? That cover and that book is sweet and it would look good

in Mike's Frogman collection. (thumbs u

I see a bunch of sweet additions to C-link and are those Richard's or Keith's

books? I hope they're not Richard's and it nice having him drop by this section

once in a while.

Here's that SSWS 82 and I bought an extra Loto-Max ticket for tonight's draw. :wishluck:

SSWS82.jpg

That is a sweet book :cloud9:

I would love to have it, but my VG/F copy is gonna have to do. Just don't have much money right now for books. If I came across a nice OAAW 103-105 I would tap into some funds for it, but everything else is off limits. There is a beauty OAAW 103 on C-Link right now, but it is higher grade than I want to pay for right now and it has Cream pages. Many of my books are C/OW, but none of them are just Cream like that book is.

My vote for an undervalued books are OAAW 90 & OFF 20 :cloud9:

Very nice books you have been picking up Fay (thumbs u

If you hit the Loto-Max could I get a low interest loan :wishluck:

A lot of people say that SSWS 84 is undervalued, but is it really? Mlle Marie may be the most minor or all the Big 5 war characters. (Well, maybe Balloon Buster is more minor) I'm not ragging on the book or the character, I'd love to own one on high grade (duh) but I'm just not seeing the undervalued part. The character, importance wise, is not even on the same planet as Rock, Haunted Tank, Unknown Soldier, or even The Losers.

I tend to agree more with bronzejohnny. A beautiful copy of SSWS 84 went for cheap a couple years ago in Andy's Heritage auction. I was kicking myself for not bidding on it. I have a nice copy, but in my mind, that's a significant enough book that I wouldn't have minded tying up my $$ in a dupe for trade at some point down the line. Jeff, if you're saying she's "minor" because of her initial appearances in SSWS being so few, I tend to agree, but she tended to pop up in titles all over the place pretty regularly. OAAW 115 is actually the first EVER war crossover. She appeared numerous times in GIC and in the B&B #52 story (where she was THE pivotal character in the story). She appeared in SSWS with Unknown Soldier, and I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) that she made an appearance in the OFF Losers issues somewhere. I don't think that she was just an anomaly. Among the war collectors I know, she's definitely well-known and her appearances are coveted. But I'll admit that DC's apathy in giving her her own series means that they must have known something at the time that we don't. IMO, that doesn't seem to have hurt her notoriety amongst war collectors, though. . .which is why I think all of those SSWS Mlle. Marie apps are relatively cheap in guide AND in the market.

Dunno if that was a general question, but it's been awhile since I've looked, so not sure. As I recall, it's either VF+ or VF/NM. I always thought that WAS relatively cheap in guide considering how legendary that character is. Arguably, Enemy Ace, has greater crossover appeal than Rock to a whole variety of collectors. The POV of the enemy was largely uncharted territory at that time in comics history and it was pretty groundbreaking. The blacks on that cover make it a little tougher in grade than the rest, too.

Edited by Comick1

No it was actually directed at you because i thought if anybody had one it would be you and i totally agree with what you have said. Enemy Ace appears in more crossovers than any other DC War character and any black cover is usually a nightmare to find in high grade.

I'll try to scan the OAAW 151 in the next week and post it her. Just for everybody's info, I haven't forgotten about the Glanzman art and I'll be doing an auction on the boards for it soon. When I do, I'll make sure everybody in this thread gets a heads-up.

Question for you war experts. Is OAAW #168 really the first appearance of the Unknown Soldier? I've always thought it was more of a prototype, considering it came out four years before his series began in SSWS. You know, it's an unknown soldier, not the Unknown Soldier. Having read the issue, I don't see anything in the story that leads me to believe otherwise.

However, I'm wondering if DC later retconned this into his first appearance in one of the Sgt. Rock / Unknown Solider crossovers later on, because everyone seems to be pretty convinced OOAW #168 is his first appearance. Is this the case? Did one of those crossovers have Uknown Soldier explicitly say that he first met rock in that OOAW story?

It just doesn't seem to me like the OOAW story was intended to be an ongoing character or anything. SSWS #151 feels and reads like his true first appearance to me.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?