• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Hey Warriors,

Check out the Charlton War 50s books I currently have on ebay. One big 102 book lot! :gossip:

Cool starting bid of 9.99. (thumbs u Now that's what I'd call confidence in the bidders!

Good luck with the auction. :applause:

I ran a check of BIN (189,311) to total S.A. books (202,983), which computes to 90 % of books being auctioned are Buy it Now. :eek:

I've always wondered why Pedrin acknowledges GIC 45 as significant in the Sgt Rock development realm but Overstreet never has. I mean, OS lists all the other Rock related issues pre-OAAW 83, why not GIC 45?

Ive always wondered this as well. Ive misplaced my copy but is GIC #45 listed as significant, highly significant or fairly significant in Pedrin's book?

He lists it as Highly Significant.

According to Pedrin, in the story "Fireworks Hill," one of the characters stands there "...like a rock." In the face of enemy fire, I'm guessing?

I haven't read the issue.

I think we need the War Report guys to chime in here. (They don't mention the issue in the latest OSPG.)

Highly Significant really? When i wrote my post i was about 90% sure it was just fairly significant. This book is then definitely a must have for those collecting all the Sgt.Rock prototypes but how many collectors are actually even aware of this. With the way the current auction stands i think someone is going to get the 'deal of the year' so far.

Edited by parkinson

I've always wondered why Pedrin acknowledges GIC 45 as significant in the Sgt Rock development realm but Overstreet never has. I mean, OS lists all the other Rock related issues pre-OAAW 83, why not GIC 45?

Ive always wondered this as well. Ive misplaced my copy but is GIC #45 listed as significant, highly significant or fairly significant in Pedrin's book?

According to Pedrin, in the story "Fireworks Hill," one of the characters stands there "...like a rock." In the face of enemy fire, I'm guessing?

I think we need the War Report guys to chime in here. (They don't mention the issue in the latest OSPG.)

Highly Significant really? When i wrote my post i was about 90% sure it was just fairly significant. This book is then definitely a must have for those collecting all the Sgt.Rock prototypes but how many collectors are actually even aware of this. With the way the current auction stands i think someone is going to get the 'deal of the year' so far.

Well, his input may or may not transfer into how the "market" reacts to certain books. This may be an excellent example.

Well, his input may or may not transfer into how the "market" reacts to certain books. This may be an excellent example.

I'll say this. Have OS note GIC 45 as a Rock prototype issue and the market will react.

I'll say this. Have OS note GIC 45 as a Rock prototype issue and the market will react.

GIC 45 came up peripherally during war report discussions on the significant Rock issues. This was at the same time that we were finalizing all of our suggestions for what became the new way Overstreet is listing and describing those books. The fact that there were no changes to that issue should suggest how much weight it carried during the discussions. I'm not dismissing it. Just saying we were all aware of it and didn't think it that significant then.

No doubt about that

GIC 45 came up peripherally during war report discussions on the significant Rock issues. This was at the same time that we were finalizing all of our suggestions for what became the new way Overstreet is listing and describing those books. The fact that there were no changes to that issue should suggest how much weight it carried during the discussions. I'm not dismissing it. Just saying we were all aware of it and didn't think it that significant then.

Are there any other books noted by Chris Pedrin as Sgt.Rock prototypes that do not appear in Overstreet as such? .

The war boards have been a little slow recently and I think I've posted most of these before and they are some of my favorite books. :cloud9:

OAAW11560.jpg

OAAW11870.jpg

WarComics23Tupenny12500.jpg

Picture1544.jpg

SSWS2050.jpg

CaptStrom894.jpg

Picture1356-1.jpg

SSWS77.jpg

....I see you're branching into Atlas......cover specific or runs ? There's a LOT of Heath in them, along with some top notch Reinman, Colan, etc. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....I see you're branching into Atlas......cover specific or runs ? There's a LOT of Heath in them, along with some top notch Reinman, Colan, etc. GOD BLESS...

Jim,

I do grab the odd Atlas without a Heath cover and I'm mainly going after all

of his Atlas war covers and it's slow going trying to find books in FN/FN+ or

better condition. Here's a few more and I would love to buy more of his Atlas

horror books and they seem to be a lot more expensive. :P

BattleFront27-Heath.jpg

BattleFront2855-Heath.jpg

NavyAction450-heath.jpg

Combat5-Heath.jpg

NavyCombat1445.jpg

WarComics34Phdog.jpg

Picture664.jpg

Picture699.jpg

Battle_38.jpg

WarAdventures13.jpg

NavyAction6.jpg

The one and only Russ Heath horror I have and my scanner is broken down

and the seller cropped off the edges of the book. I would say it's about a 7.0

and this cover is cool IMO.

Astonishing875.jpg

:sorry: About cluttering up the War boards with a rotten horror book. :blush:

WarComics23Tupenny12500.jpg

Love that cover. (worship)

Spectacular books Fazybones!

Thanks Guys, :)

I'm hoping after next weekend I have a few more Atlas Russ Heath books

to add from the VCC. This month's C-link auction has some pretty nice ones

in mid grade but I will have to pass until a time payment deal is paid off. ;)

This hobby is all about timing unless you have an unlimited budget or a budget

a lot better than mine. :pullhair: I hear many collectors say the hunt of a certain

book is most of the fun and in my case many times it depends if a certain

auction ends or book appears for sale around a payday. :wishluck:

I can't complain and many members are very willing to wait a week or two

for payment unless it's bigger purchase and then the time payment option

might kick in and I have to thank many of you that have helped me grab

some awesome books. (worship)

Jim,

BattleFront27-Heath.jpg

NavyAction450-heath.jpg

Combat5-Heath.jpg

NavyCombat1445.jpg

WarComics34Phdog.jpg

Picture664.jpg

Picture699.jpg

Battle_38.jpg

WarAdventures13.jpg

NavyAction6.jpg

Astonishing875.jpg

So many cool Heath books, Fay! I NEVER get tired of looking at those! Nice scores!

Jim,

BattleFront27-Heath.jpg

NavyAction450-heath.jpg

Combat5-Heath.jpg

NavyCombat1445.jpg

WarComics34Phdog.jpg

Picture664.jpg

Picture699.jpg

Battle_38.jpg

WarAdventures13.jpg

NavyAction6.jpg

Astonishing875.jpg

So many cool Heath books, Fay! I NEVER get tired of looking at those! Nice scores!

....NICE, Fay......you're going to end up with a real world class collection at this rate....seriously. I'm impressed. The DC material is great.....very great.....but these Atlas books are so challenging to even find. GOD BLESS....

Great books, Fay!

Here's my NYCC pickups.

Beat but complete, hanging onto the staples by the skin of its teeth...

OAAW82.jpg

Anybody else have a copy of OAAW 82 with that strange printing error on the SMG?

Picked up this one from Dale Roberts. Dale had a great selection of war books this time around...

OFF71.jpg

And finally...

GIC113.jpg

There were alot of GICs at the show, the same batch of OAAW everywhere I looked, alot of Gunner & Sarge era OFF, the usual dino/enemy ace SSWS books (with not a single sighting of M. Marie), and only a handful of AAMOW for some reason.

Grey tones and early Rock appearances seemed to be the "wall" war books, with the odd Atlas book here and there.

Dale had a great selection, Bob Storms had a new OO collection with some very early issues in the VG/FN range, and Worldwide had a nice selection of HG OAAW, but, man, they were not going cheap!

Edited by MisterX