• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

I just got an Atlas Battle Nr. 67. I didnt know it contains so much great art: Kirby Cover, Kirby Art, Severin Art, Davis Art & a Williamson/Crandall story. Unusual for an Atlas War books, isnt it? And not expensive at all (paid 10$ in vg+),

Thomas

Nice! I'm not too surprised as there were so many great artists who ended up at Atlas. You'll see Atlas horror books all the time with multiple heavyweights and even one of the Battles has Kirby and Ditko.

Marc

BATTLE #70 also has a great Kirby/Ditko team-up...

BATTLE_70.jpg

I just got an Atlas Battle Nr. 67. I didnt know it contains so much great art: Kirby Cover, Kirby Art, Severin Art, Davis Art & a Williamson/Crandall story. Unusual for an Atlas War books, isnt it? And not expensive at all (paid 10$ in vg+),

Thomas

Try also # 68 with Heck, Severin, Kirby, Kirby / Ditko or # 63 for a different but no less interesting line-up: Sinnott, Maneely, Ayers, Ditko, ...

Hey guys, I got the first one in. This is the e-bay auction that was listed as 6.0 to 6.5. I will also post in PGM comic.

GIC87front60.jpg[/img]

GIC87back60.jpg[/img]

Thanks for taking a peek! Let me know what ya think.

Larry

Edited by Hedge

Here is another book you dont see very often in high grade...

SSWS_90.jpg

After 15 years of searching and countless disapointments, I have finally found my grail book. I was able to secure this copy at the NYCCon yesterday - which now completes my HG SSWS dino collection..

Ahh.. Hmm. So now what do I do?..

Bill

Thomas

Try also # 68 with Heck, Severin, Kirby, Kirby / Ditko or # 63 for a different but no less interesting line-up: Sinnott, Maneely, Ayers, Ditko, ...

Good observation, GermanFan. That collection of artists is unusual for an Atlas book. #67 is near the end of the run (#70). The Battle run from #62-70 have a different feel compared to the earlier books. In June of 1958, the Atlas artistic mainstay, Joe Maneely, had just been killed in a subway accident. There's a month where Severin, with some help from Davis, does a lot of cover work and then there's a big shift in House Style. Kirby and Ditko return to what was Atlas and the company begins a steady metamorphosis into Marvel with the December/January 1959 issues (only the six teen/romance titles remain unaffected). Goodman is then (as always) experimenting with genre. With #70 (June 1960, cover date; February 1960 newsstand date) Goodman retires his company's last war book. Not until 1963, with Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, do Lee and Kirby seek to reinvent the war comic in the Marvel image.

Hey guys, I got the first one in. This is the e-bay auction that was listed as 6.0 to 6.5. I will also post in PGM comic.

GIC87front60.jpg[/img]

GIC87back60.jpg[/img]

Thanks for taking a peek! Let me know what ya think.

Larry

So much nicer with a big scan. That sure looks like a 6.5 to me. Good luck with it Larry!!! (thumbs u

Andy

Here is another book you dont see very often in high grade...

SSWS_90.jpg

After 15 years of searching and countless disapointments, I have finally found my grail book. I was able to secure this copy at the NYCCon yesterday - which now completes my HG SSWS dino collection..

Ahh.. Hmm. So now what do I do?..

Bill

This is a tough book to find in nice shape. What to do now? Add another DC war title or run to your collection. Impressive! (worship)

Andy

Thomas

Good observation, GermanFan. That collection of artists is unusual for an Atlas book. #67 is near the end of the run (#70). The Battle run from #62-70 have a different feel compared to the earlier books. In June of 1958, the Atlas artistic mainstay, Joe Maneely, had just been killed in a subway accident. There's a month where Severin, with some help from Davis, does a lot of cover work and then there's a big shift in House Style. Kirby and Ditko return to what was Atlas and the company begins a steady metamorphosis into Marvel with the December/January 1959 issues (only the six teen/romance titles remain unaffected). Goodman is then (as always) experimenting with genre. With #70 (June 1960, cover date; February 1960 newsstand date) Goodman retires his company's last war book. Not until 1963, with Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, do Lee and Kirby seek to reinvent the war comic in the Marvel image.

Very interesting to hear the story behind the scenes. That was a nice introduction for me, not knowing too much about the history of Atlas books. Thanks. :foryou:

Andy

Too tired to be doing anything that follows a logical sequence. Thoid time's the charm.

gic80-1.jpg

...and with this book posted, that is the dreamiest copy of GIC #80 I've ever flippin seen! Wanna trade down to a lower grade copy? :insane:

Andy

Ahhhh, Mick - so nice to see that copy of G.I. Combat #80.

I owe that book a big favor... I remember when it came up, on ebay I think. You got it, and you in turn sold me your older copy, which I cherish... Thanks again bro!

That turned out to be a SMOKIN' copy you got.

For what it's worth, I think that GIC #80 may well be the single toughest GI Combat Greytone to find in nice grade (with the possible exception of #44). How often do you see that book come into the market in decent shape?

Next to never.

For the sake of old times, here's the copy I got from you. I love it to death...

th_gic80.jpg

Hey guys was thinking about some books for sale at the NYCC, here are the books and my assesment of the grades. Which would you pick? Our Army at War # 81 grade fair price $250, Our Army at War # 1 grade good price $ 320, Our Fighting Forces #45 grade g-vg price $110 and G.I. Combat #87 grade g-vg price $350. Which one would you get and why?