• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how the Savannah sales should or will affect future prices. I'm not sure they should affect anything, as it was basically a small number of collectors battling for some very specific books in an auction setting (the perfect storm). But we all know that they will be taken into account on some level by all who buy or sell DC War from this point forward.

I pledge to take them into account every time I sell, and to ignore them every time I buy.

So nothing really has changed.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how the Savannah sales should or will affect future prices. I'm not sure they should affect anything, as it was basically a small number of collectors battling for some very specific books in an auction setting (the perfect storm). But we all know that they will be taken into account on some level by all who buy or sell DC War from this point forward.

I pledge to take them into account every time I sell, and to ignore them every time I buy.

:acclaim:

:acclaim:

(worship)lol

Here are scans of a few more of my DC war books featuring the Commies as the enemies:

All-American95.jpg

All-American98.jpg

All-American101.jpg

All-American111.jpg

(thumbs u

Really nice copies - I've found those books to be notoriously hard to find in grades above FN.

Tail end of the runs, probably lower circulations... or reader interest back in the day.

Hey guys,

Just scored a totally respectable copy of Star Spangled War #6, which Pedrin's Guide lists as 'Extremely Rare'.

That was, of course, written before ebay, online forums, Heritage Auctions and the like. Is that book really as rare as it once was?

And what other books tend to be the hardest ones to find - let's keep grade out of it, just which ones NEVER come up.

In fact, in the era of multiple sources of comics online are there ANY books from these runs which are ungettable?

Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Shep

I saw the original art to this cover at a SD Con in the mid 90s. It was superb! :cloud9:

All-American111.jpg

Hey guys,

Just scored a totally respectable copy of Star Spangled War #6, which Pedrin's Guide lists as 'Extremely Rare'.

That was, of course, written before ebay, online forums, Heritage Auctions and the like. Is that book really as rare as it once was?

I think Mr Greenham could provide some useful input on this. I can't really help. I've had a copy of SSWS 6 for years that I stumbled on one time at a local con. I was shocked when I got my Pedrin and saw that he listed it as extemely rare.

In fact, in the era of multiple sources of comics online are there ANY books from these runs which are ungettable?

With the advent of the internet and especially ebay, I would say no. You may have to wait awhile but a copy will show up eventually.

Hey guys,

And what other books tend to be the hardest ones to find - let's keep grade out of it, just which ones NEVER come up.

Shep

Hey Shep,

Congrats on the copy of SSWS 6. Because Pedrin's guide listed that book as "extremely rare", I bought every copy I ever stumbled upon, unless the price was ridiculous. I ended up with 7 copies.

I did the same with G. I. Combat #87, and I ended up with 21 copies. I did the same with SSWS 151 and I ended up with about 35 copies.

Is SSWS 6 "extremely rare"? I doubt it. Tough to find? Yes. I don't have a copy anymore and I other than my last copy that I sold in 2010, I don't think I've seen another one in 2010 or 2011 so far. It is tough.

Andy 2c

Hey Andy and Jeff,

I think you're right - it seems that with a little patience, everything is gettable these days.

Not sure if I like that! It's always been about the hunt.

Talk soon,

Brian

Hey Andy and Jeff,

I think you're right - it seems that with a little patience, everything is gettable these days.

Talk soon,

Brian

who the hell's Brian? ???

Sorry Andy! :grin:

I recently got an ipone4 (it's awesome!) but when I'm writing messages the apple has an auto correct that turns 'Shep' into 'Sheep'. So I've been signing off with Brian lately.

Friggin' technology.

Shep

There's always high grade for that. :grin:

No joke. Truthfully, I'll take the pre 1955 books in any complete, not-too-beater shape I can find them in. High grade on them? Forget it...

Shep

Hey guys,

Shep

Hey Shep,

Congrats on the copy of SSWS 6. Because Pedrin's guide listed that book as "extremely rare", I bought every copy I ever stumbled upon, unless the price was ridiculous. I ended up with 7 copies.

I did the same with G. I. Combat #87, and I ended up with 21 copies. I did the same with SSWS 151 and I ended up with about 35 copies.

Is SSWS 6 "extremely rare"? I doubt it. Tough to find? Yes. I don't have a copy anymore and I other than my last copy that I sold in 2010, I don't think I've seen another one in 2010 or 2011 so far. It is tough.

Andy 2c

SSWS3.jpg

Hey guys,

Shep

Hey Shep,

Andy 2c

SSWS3.jpg

It's extremely rare because no child could get past the ridiculous cover!

Shep, you'll always be sheep to us now.

Hey guys,

Shep

Hey Shep,

Andy 2c

SSWS3.jpg

:ohnoez:

Hey! How come there's so little love being shown for Capt. Storm in this thread? His was one of the few war comics I bought regularly as a kid. Here are scans of some of the ones I have these days:

CaptStorm2.jpg

CaptStorm4.jpg

CaptStorm6.jpg

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat