• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

These are great photos in remembrance of the great Joe Kubert and his work. Here is a link to my story of how I met him and was able to get a bunch of his books signed. It's from a while back and has lots of pics. What a tremendous talent, and a very kind person.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3974779&fpart=1

Nice Kubert story there. I was nodding my head through the whole thing because that's EXACTLY the way the man was. A class act every step of the way!

Thanks for reading Mick, and thanks again for helping me at SDCC this year. (thumbs u

Also, I will soon be known as the "Man among men" in this very thread. ;) You will have to ask Andy (thirdgreenham) and Mike (lizards2) to know how this has happened. (thumbs u

Kubert didn't do the cover of #83 either. The interior of #85 is pure Kubert-gold and first Ice Cream Soldier. Hen's tooth of a book in grade, too.

Good point Mick. But, it’s still an awesome action cover à la Grandenetti!

And since this is my 85th post... Here’s my copy:

oaaw85_cgc8.5.jpg

Great Barrier Reef!! :o(worship)

These are great photos in remembrance of the great Joe Kubert and his work. Here is a link to my story of how I met him and was able to get a bunch of his books signed. It's from a while back and has lots of pics. What a tremendous talent, and a very kind person.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3974779&fpart=1

Dang Mervin – that’s an awesome story! Thanks for (re)sharing! And thanks to your entire family for their service!!

Yes, your description of Kubert’s actions and words are a perfect description of how he held himself. Damn, they just don’t make them like that anymore. What a gentleman.

That reminds me of something that happened this summer…

Some of you know that I have an executive assistant named Nati. Aside from strategic aid, she provides support for me both at the office and at events. So it should be of no surprise that she was instrumental in the coordination and management of the “Dichotomy of War” panel with Joe Kubert recently. Aside from ensuring I had all my materials, aiding in promotion, and handling overall logistics, she made sure that audio-visual was operating correctly. The resultant undertakings required Nati to be up on stage (really a large riser) and she sat behind where Joe and I were presenting. At the end of panel, as several attendees were approaching us, she stood up to move our microphones and unfortunately got her foot tangled in the cabling. Being that she was wearing heels, she lost her footing completely and began to fall backwards and uncontrollably several feet above a concrete floor. I was at the far end of the table watching it happen in slow motion and watched helplessly as she fell. And even though there were several men standing nearby her, they just were not quick enough to break her fall. When suddenly—a big hand jettisons out, grabs her arm firmly, and reels her back to complete safety!

I’ll give ya one guess whose big hand that was…

That’s right girls! From a sitting position, and facing the wrong direction, an 85 year old Joe Kubert took action. In one fluid motion he brought Nati back upright, onto her feet, and out of danger. It was amazing! He looked completely unfazed, held her steady, and queried a flustered …and now blushing Nati; “You alright miss?”

She turned to jello.

All I heard for the next few days was: “Oh what a gentleman!” “What an amazing man!” “What chivalry!” “I looooove him!” and on and on… Jeeeesh.

Ha! She was 190% right. What a man.

Here’s a picture of Joe and Nati about 15 minutes after her mishap. Kubert is busy giving the useless guys the stank-eye, as Nati grins uncontrollably in the arms of her knight in blue denim.

Joe_Nati.jpg

I’ll be telling this story for a long, long time.

My 86th post begets:

oaaw86_cgc9.2.jpg

Thanks for reading Mick, and thanks again for helping me at SDCC this year. (thumbs u

Also, I will soon be known as the "Man among men" in this very thread. ;) You will have to ask Andy (thirdgreenham) and Mike (lizards2) to know how this has happened. (thumbs u

You're welcome, Mervin!

Re: Man among men. . .anybody who's showing off their Andy G. limited ed. AAMOW 94 duds is definitely ANY among ANY ! (thumbs u

Matt, that Kubert story is a classic if I ever did hear one. Totally quintessential Kubert every step of the way. I didn't notice until a couple other pics that were posted recently, that Kubert was sporting a nice ponytail that Glanzman would be stoked to have. Man, I think about Kubert and what his art means to me EVERY day of my life. It's a consolation to know that he did SOOOOO much, over more than 70 years in the industry, that I can never run out of opportunities to check it out, but there's still a sadness I feel for his family and legions of fans who won't get a chance to speak with the man any more.

What's funny, though, is that his faces--whether Hawkman & Hawkgirl, Tarzan, Rock, Enemy Ace, Viking Prince, Tor, etc--those faces create a virtually cinematic resonance that I carry around in my head. . .a cast of Kubert images bumping around the bean for a host of reasons throughout any given day. Don't mean to sound like a slobbering fanboy (and I certainly am), but it truly is a gift that I think few artists could possibly ever hope to bestow upon their readers. I challenge people to come up with ANY artist--outside of maybe Jack Kirby--who struck a balance between sublimely stylized art AND a body of work that could be measured literally by the ton.

People knew Kirby as "King" as much for his incredible work as for his famous affability and generosity. A king of his humility and kindness would be the first to insist that his principality could be shared with another fellow who's surname ALSO lends itself to alliterative licence. . .King Kubert.

Edited by Comick1

Dang Mervin – that’s an awesome story! Thanks for (re)sharing! And thanks to your entire family for their service!!

Yes, your description of Kubert’s actions and words are a perfect description of how he held himself. Damn, they just don’t make them like that anymore. What a gentleman.

That reminds me of something that happened this summer…

Some of you know that I have an executive assistant named Nati. Aside from strategic aid, she provides support for me both at the office and at events. So it should be of no surprise that she was instrumental in the coordination and management of the “Dichotomy of War” panel with Joe Kubert recently. Aside from ensuring I had all my materials, aiding in promotion, and handling overall logistics, she made sure that audio-visual was operating correctly. The resultant undertakings required Nati to be up on stage (really a large riser) and she sat behind where Joe and I were presenting. At the end of panel, as several attendees were approaching us, she stood up to move our microphones and unfortunately got her foot tangled in the cabling. Being that she was wearing heels, she lost her footing completely and began to fall backwards and uncontrollably several feet above a concrete floor. I was at the far end of the table watching it happen in slow motion and watched helplessly as she fell. And even though there were several men standing nearby her, they just were not quick enough to break her fall. When suddenly—a big hand jettisons out, grabs her arm firmly, and reels her back to complete safety!

I’ll give ya one guess whose big hand that was…

That’s right girls! From a sitting position, and facing the wrong direction, an 85 year old Joe Kubert took action. In one fluid motion he brought Nati back upright, onto her feet, and out of danger. It was amazing! He looked completely unfazed, held her steady, and queried a flustered …and now blushing Nati; “You alright miss?”

She turned to jello.

All I heard for the next few days was: “Oh what a gentleman!” “What an amazing man!” “What chivalry!” “I looooove him!” and on and on… Jeeeesh.

Ha! She was 190% right. What a man.

Here’s a picture of Joe and Nati about 15 minutes after her mishap. Kubert is busy giving the useless guys the stank-eye, as Nati grins uncontrollably in the arms of her knight in blue denim.

Joe_Nati.jpg

I’ll be telling this story for a long, long time.

My 86th post begets:

oaaw86_cgc9.2.jpg

Thanks Wild Bill, and thanks for sharing your story, that's a great one. (thumbs u You guys are a good bunch, I'm very glad to be able to read and view all your posts. :foryou:

Great Kubert stories you guys and it's a pleasure to read them.

Awesome books Matt. More please!! :luhv::wishluck:

nice pick ups,faye! if you like aamow 24,check out aamow 20!!

Bill,

I was racking my brain trying to remember the cover of AAMOW 20 and I

couldn't seem to find a scan of it anywhere on line. I was checking through

my box of slabs and I came across this awesome cover. :cloud9:

Picture1540.jpg

Great Kubert stories you guys and it's a pleasure to read them.

Awesome books Matt. More please!! :luhv::wishluck:

nice pick ups,faye! if you like aamow 24,check out aamow 20!!

Bill,

I was racking my brain trying to remember the cover of AAMOW 20 and I

couldn't seem to find a scan of it anywhere on line. I was checking through

my box of slabs and I came across this awesome cover. :cloud9:

Picture1540.jpg

thats the one!! my next pick ups will be aamow 9 and 11 sometime in the future. i like some of those obscure covers,and besides,i am down to 17 issues to complete that run! nice books wild bill

Kubert didn't do the cover of #83 either. The interior of #85 is pure Kubert-gold and first Ice Cream Soldier. Hen's tooth of a book in grade, too.

Good point Mick. But, it’s still an awesome action cover à la Grandenetti!

And since this is my 85th post... Here’s my copy:

oaaw85_cgc8.5.jpg

My man got a scanner!!!!!!

I think we should all observe a moment of silence for one of our own...fellow collector Keith Marlow.

The poor guy got his kicked last night on C-Link.

I think we should all observe a moment of silence for one of our own...fellow collector Keith Marlow.

:eek:(shrug)

Consignments with expectations and costs much, much greater than results.

I was just looking at the results on the GICs. I would have expected quite a bit more for the 9.0 than $1189. $550 for the 8.0 is fairly strong though.

I was just looking at the results on the GICs. I would have expected quite a bit more for the 9.0 than $1189. $550 for the 8.0 is fairly strong though.

The 9.2 OAAW 112 for $2200 was a ridiculous steal for someone.

The 9.2 OAAW 112 for $2200 was a ridiculous steal for someone.

:censored::pullhair::tonofbricks:

Man, my heart sunk when I read that first sentence, Richard. :(