• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I wish I'd known that. When I scored that one--after about 20 years of searching--I scored another one within a couple months and it was almost as nice. I sold it to Keith M. about 4 years ago, but I think he flipped it as well. That ish eluded me forever. Even in lower grades, it's not all that common. . .and for good reason.

ssws78_zpse860b1d4.jpg

That SSWS #78 is also incredibly cool. It's the ONLY issue in ALL of the Big-5 to include TWO (!!!!!!) Drucker stories. Just a joy to behold every step of the way. When I opened it up, it was like me as a 5-year old opening a Festivus Gift.

Edited by Comick1

ssws78_zpse860b1d4.jpg

That SSWS #78 is also incredibly cool. It's the ONLY issue in ALL of the Big-5 to include TWO (!!!!!!) Drucker stories. Just a joy to behold every step of the way. When I opened it up, it was like me as a 5-year old opening a Festivus Gift.

Thanks for posting this one and the earlier batch, Mick. It's awesome seeing these high grade beauties!

I wish I'd known that. When I scored that one--after about 20 years of searching--I scored another one within a couple months and it was almost as nice. I sold it to Keith M. about 4 years ago, but I think he flipped it as well. That ish eluded me forever. Even in lower grades, it's not all that common. . .and for good reason.

Keep me in mind for next time! Definitely not something I would flip.

Andy got me inspired. I'm posting a few SSWS that preceded the Marie and Dinosaur runs:

ssws78_zpse860b1d4.jpg

ssws79.jpg

ssws81_zpse5a8d58e.jpg

ssws82_zps27564602.jpg

ssws83_zpsd033bc65.jpg

...I always thought the 83 looked like a Drucker cover...... Is Mort sill with us ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So, this was shared on Facebook-I'll reserve my comments until after y'all have had a chance to read it. Definitely interesting.....

The 16 Best War Comics

Some interesting takes on some of those. I have to confess ignorance on the "War is Hell" series. It looks interesting. I weighed in amidst the other comments. Mostly chiming in on USS Stevens and scratching my head over the inclusion of the Vertigo Haunted Tank series--truly one of the most abysmal comics I've read in a REALLY long time. . .although I was more reserved with my comments in that forum.

Andy got me inspired. I'm posting a few SSWS that preceded the Marie and Dinosaur runs:

ssws83_zpsd033bc65.jpg

...I always thought the 83 looked like a Drucker cover...... Is Mort sill with us ? GOD BLESS...

The 83 cover is by Grandenetti.

The inking doesn't look at all like Grandanetti to me...... I'm not sold on that one. There are a few others that I can't recall at the moment that seem to have this different feel as well. I'm thinking there may have been some moonlighting on occasion ? I still think, for example, that Drucker may have inked many of the Gene Colan Atlas stories.... but no proof. I've also often wondered if Giordano may have squeezed in some inking for D.C. before he officially jumped ship from Charlton.... GOD BLESS....

The inking doesn't look at all like Grandanetti to me...... I'm not sold on that one. There are a few others that I can't recall at the moment that seem to have this different feel as well. I'm thinking there may have been some moonlighting on occasion ? I still think, for example, that Drucker may have inked many of the Gene Colan Atlas stories.... but no proof. I've also often wondered if Giordano may have squeezed in some inking for D.C. before he officially jumped ship from Charlton.... GOD BLESS....

Everything about this cover is Grandenetti. . .except the eyebrows which look more like Novick's work than either Grandenetti or Drucker. I'm leaning 85% in the direction of Grandenetti who rarely had other people ink over him (to my knowledge), but may have had an assist or inks from Novick (but that seems unlikely).

Everything about this cover is Grandenetti. . .except the eyebrows which look more like Novick's work than either Grandenetti or Drucker. I'm leaning 85% in the direction of Grandenetti who rarely had other people ink over him (to my knowledge), but may have had an assist or inks from Novick (but that seems unlikely).

Yeah, I would go with Grandenetti as well. I'm not going to worry about the eyebrows. The rest of the page looks just like him to me.