• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Maybe a separate thread, but I am more thinking 50s and later war comics sought because of great covers. I know some grey tones get a big pop like the one with the soldier and dog l(gunner and sarge) looking terrified (gi combat ..)

Edited by the blob

On 9/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, the blob said:

So did someone swap insides or could this be real? Do the dates of the covers line up with insides?

No, Milton Caniff's Steve Canyon #939 is cover-dated September 1958 and was on sale in October of that year, while OAAW 83 has a cover date of June 1959 and an on-sale date of April 1959.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:35 AM, the blob said:

Maybe a separate thread, but I am more thinking 50s and later war comics sought because of great covers. I know some grey tones get a big pop like the one with the soldier and dog l(gunner and sarge) looking terrified (gi combat ..)

Our Fighting Forces 71. 

Gunner 

Image result for gunner war dog

Gunner

Gunner with his handler Percy Westcott
Species Dog
Breed Kelpie
Sex Male
Born c. August 1941
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Died Unknown
Nation from Australian
Employer Royal Australian Air Force
Years active 19 February 1942 - 1945
Known for Air-raid early warning during World War II[1]
Owner Percy Westcott
Named after Gunner (rank)

Gunner (born c. August 1941) was a male kelpie dog who became notable for his reliability to accurately alert Allied air force personnel that Japanese military aircraft were approaching Darwin during the Second World War.[1]

Edited by 1950's war comics