• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, jimjum12 said:

I wish I could have asked him if he inked Gene Colan stories from time to time at Atlas …. I see his touch in many of Colans better stories from then …. and Weissinger was notorious for throwing freelancers who moonlighted for the competition off the roof of the D.C. offices, so naturally it wouldn't be noted. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Definitely.
Kanigher even admitted to blowing it with Drucker (and Kanigher wasn't a guy who was predisposed to making missteps) by not recognizing how great he was. By the time he started to realize, Drucker'd bailed the war stable for MAD.

A good portion of Drucker's and Colan's stuff was virtually interchangeable in the 1953-1958 time period.
What's REALLY confusing to me is the Hopalong Cassidy's that are attributed to one or the other. I think there's an inker in some of those that stuck to a house style that made their work very difficult to differentiate from each other.

i know some of these are Golden age , but Atlas Battle comics was their longest running war title .. 70 issues going into the silver age..

i am bored with the virus lockdown and everything so am posting a few photos..

i have my Battle 187304926_DSCN4932-Edited.thumb.jpg.178f59cfa4c6a8b8c9fab699652c0c2a.jpgcomics in a tub i bought from Walmart , these tubs fit around 100 comics , they come with a lid but i didn't need the lid..

almost every cover is memorable in the Atlas Battle run !! i just grabbed a couple random issues..

this cover shows a group of exhausted guys but they have no time for rest because here comes a mass enemy charge ..

DSCN4936 - Edited.jpg

Edited by 1950's war comics

On 5/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, Robot Man said:

A few OAAW War books that came in a large storage locker many years ago. A nice long, spotty run of about 50 of them. Including #81 and #83. These are some of my favorites. NFS...

comourarmyatwar82.jpg

comourarmyatwar94.jpg

comourarmyatwar99.jpg

Heckuva storage locker find!