• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you organize your collection?

96 posts in this topic

Everything on shelves, alpha by title, regardless of whether they're mini-series or continuing titles. Slabbed books are in the wood chest, except for the expensive stuff, which lives at the bank...

stash1.jpg

stash2.jpg

stash3.jpg

Where did you get your book cases for those? Please tell me you didn't have them custom made.

Nearmint inspired my comic room. Mine looks Exactly like his...well almost. You don't need to get custom shelves...bought mine at Wal-mart for like 20 bones apiece.

Everything on shelves, alpha by title, regardless of whether they're mini-series or continuing titles. Slabbed books are in the wood chest, except for the expensive stuff, which lives at the bank...

stash1.jpg

stash2.jpg

stash3.jpg

Where did you get your book cases for those? Please tell me you didn't have them custom made.

Nearmint inspired my comic room. Mine looks Exactly like his...well almost. You don't need to get custom shelves...bought mine at Wal-mart for like 20 bones apiece.

Yee Haw!!!! I think, I will head to Wal-Mart Today. Thanks John.

Anfield, I definitely start with #1 in the front. Always drives me nutz when I run into an LCS that has it the other way.

I may have to start the cataloguing process soon so I don't have to move issues around all the time. Just takes so long.

Only other thing is selling issues but that's been so slow lately.

Pat

My books run from #1 in the back with subsequent issues in front. I do it that way because the comic store I used to work for did it that way. I've contemplated switching them around, though...

How sturdy are the shelves that you use John? Also how many books do you think fit on each case or shelf?

They are very sturdy. The backs a stiff cardboard like substance. They probably fit about a long box and a half per shelf.

Thanks for that info. I may go buy one this weekend because I am running out of room to store my long boxes.

Yeah, I really don't like just having my long boxes stacked up in a corner of a tiny bed room. But I really don't have any other options right now, unless I tried the legal filing cabinet idea 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mostly short boxes, with some long boxes. GA /Atom Age organized by genre, then title, sometimes publisher, SA/BA by publisher, then title, Copper/ Modern - the bulk of my collection physically - Publisher(sometimes) then title. Undergrounds boxed alpahabetically, but 1960s - current kept together.

Pulps have their own box.

Magazines & mag. sized comics - probably divided into too many catagories - I sometimes end up looking through 3 different boxes to find a book.

I have many non-comic boxes of odd-sized stuff - not really that organized

I buy maybe 15-20 new comics, magazines, trades or hardbacks a month - they stack up on top of my comic boxes in a closet, and a bout once ayear I sort through stuff and reorganize the boxes - usually takes a whole day.

Older material that I buy will also usually sit on top of boxes for months before I sort it away.

That means you have your comic outside many months? If a Invincible's Story Arc last 5 months, you have the invincible comics outside that long?

Sometimes I read an issue within that month and then store it in a short box with Mylar and Halfback or don't read it but store it at the same box with polybag and backboard (that box is only for comics waiting for been stored in my collection).

Sometimes I sell some comics that I don't like directly from this box.

Thanks for that info. I may go buy one this weekend because I am running out of room to store my long boxes.

Yeah, I really don't like just having my long boxes stacked up in a corner of a tiny bed room. But I really don't have any other options right now, unless I tried the legal filing cabinet idea 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have mine covered to look like a table on Friday and Saturday night when i entertain the ladies. Nothing puts a girl off more than the sight of 25 short boxes! grin.gif

Anfield, I definitely start with #1 in the front. Always drives me nutz when I run into an LCS that has it the other way.

Thanks Pat. I have to admit i've always started with the #1 at the back as it's come as second nature but have recently thought about changing it.

I have mine covered to look like a table on Friday and Saturday night when i entertain the ladies. Nothing puts a girl off more than the sight of 25 short boxes! grin.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Just make sure they don't spill their drinks wink.gif

27_laughing.gif Yeah, and I can't imagine what these "comic rooms" we've seen pictures of would do to the ladies. (I hope those collectors are already married gossip.gif )

Thanks Pat. I have to admit i've always started with the #1 at the back as it's come as second nature but have recently thought about changing it.

I don't mean this as offensive to collector's who use the practice, but I always felt that LCS' did it as a means of hiding a poor back issue selection. The viewer sees a bunch of the previous month's book but there are rarely books past the 90's. Not saying that an LCS with the other sorting methodology have a better selection, just always felt more honest to me.

Pat