• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you organize your collection?

96 posts in this topic

Ivanko , that's a optimal form to protect your comics, but it's practical to find an issue? because the issues are too thick otherwise they fall and they bend, right? confused.gif

The books don't bend; there is an adjustable metal divider in the back that you can pull forward to keep less air in the drawer. I would say there is as much chance of bending as there is with any short box or long box.

With a cardboard divider in the center, it makes two rows, which can accomodate silver age books at the largest; no golden age; that's with a two row configurement.

As far as finding an issue, I have "A" starting at the top left front, and "Z" ends on the bottom right back of the second cabinet. I can find any book in under 10 seconds.

Outside measurements are:18 3/8"W, 52"H, 26 1/2"D popcorn.gif

About 25 comics in one wooden box.

They came from IKEA.

For my needs, I really like this storage solution. Any downsides to storing them in these besides cost?

I need a cabinet with a lock though: kids 893naughty-thumb.gif

Yeah, and I can't imagine what these "comic rooms" we've seen pictures of would do to the ladies. (I hope those collectors are already married).

Actually, the comic room was the wife's idea. cloud9.gif

And she's cute, too.

About 25 comics in one wooden box.

They came from IKEA.

For my needs, I really like this storage solution. Any downsides to storing them in these besides cost?

I need a cabinet with a lock though: kids 893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree, it's very aesthetic, and to date i do not see any problem with this storage method.

And yes, my cabinet have a lock of protection against too curious children...

Ivanko , that's a optimal form to protect your comics, but it's practical to find an issue? because the issues are too thick otherwise they fall and they bend, right? confused.gif

The books don't bend; there is an adjustable metal divider in the back that you can pull forward to keep less air in the drawer. I would say there is as much chance of bending as there is with any short box or long box.

With a cardboard divider in the center, it makes two rows, which can accomodate silver age books at the largest; no golden age; that's with a two row configurement.

As far as finding an issue, I have "A" starting at the top left front, and "Z" ends on the bottom right back of the second cabinet. I can find any book in under 10 seconds.

Outside measurements are:18 3/8"W, 52"H, 26 1/2"D popcorn.gif

Are these the same?

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores...C2:CG34:CL70400

Using the plastic magazine holders was an idea I got from this board years ago. It's great because it keeps them upright and easy to go through by a block at a time.

The cabinet was a lucky find. It's a VERY beautiful oriental-style cabinet, and I liked the glass doors to keep dust out. The drawer at the bottom is great for storing mylars, boards, and old price guides. I got it here:

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Wuchow_42W_Six-Shelf_Bookcase_with_Glass_Doors/210/

I use the AF15 tapestry to block sunlight during the day, but my wife and I are also going to add a layer of window heat film to the inside of the glass, since that will block about 98% of UV.

I, uh, have a stack of short boxes sitting in front of some off my book cases. Nothing special. I also have two small, home made shelving units that I keep meaning to replace with boxes. And, of course, the assorted stack of comics lying loose waiting for a home in a box.

I have three sets of longboxes:

DC Comics

Arranged A-Z by title, and then all DC mini-series are placed all the way at the end in a 'DC Mini-Series/One-Shot' section.

Titles like Batman, Superman etc. Who have a lot of Mini's get their own Mini series tab, after their self-titled comic.

Marvel

Same way as DC.

Independents (Dark Horse, Epic, Wildstorm, Image, etc.)

I don't divide by company, because a lot of titles jump around... so it's entirely alphabetical by title.

Humor Books

All Marvel/DC/ Archie/Disney/ Dell etc. Funny animal, humor cartoon comics are sorted together, by series. All the Disney books stay together, all the marvel Star comics, the Archies are together. These are alphabetical by 'set' so Archie comes first, followed by Disney, followed by Star, and so on....

Independents (Dark Horse, Epic, Wildstorm, Image, etc.)

I don't divide by company, because a lot of titles jump around... so it's entirely alphabetical by title.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think that's a great way, I have many titles that are the only one of a company, I think that's my new form of manage my indy comics. Thanks!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Using the plastic magazine holders was an idea I got from this board years ago.

From this thread? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep! I thought it was a terrific idea. I just wish they made magazine holders that were wide enough so the comics could face the front instead of lining up side-by-side. It'd be nice to see a row of covers instead of a row of edges.