• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing experiment #50020021
6 6

244 posts in this topic

I agree, the Avengers square bound looks like an improvement. Did you notice any loss of gloss or color at all?

I noticed the opposite since I started the use of Mylar instead of SRP. If you go back to the 1st one I did you can see a dramatic difference in shine. It was so shiny one boardy called it un-natural. Now that I am using cooler temps its not as dramatic but still comes out with a nice natural shine to it. If you go too hot you can lose color.

UpgradeScene.jpg

hm Upgrades? New materials, tricks and some insight and I am close to settling into a permanent routine.

c1ba1.jpg

c1ba5.jpg

c1ba6.jpg

c1ba2.jpg

c1ba3.jpg

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

Nice job in removing the wrinkles from the book. However, it looks like there's still a spine roll, based on the positioning of the staples and what looks like a former spine fold at the bottom of the book. Is it difficult to get the spine to be refolded at its previous location?

Nice job in removing the wrinkles from the book. However, it looks like there's still a spine roll, based on the positioning of the staples and what looks like a former spine fold at the bottom of the book. Is it difficult to get the spine to be refolded at its previous location?

Its not easy but it can be done. I decided it wasn't important enough to the grade of the book to bother.

Plus, the books look like he's still pressing them with Mylar. That super glossy look is not good. Stop it.

Plus, the books look like he's still pressing them with Mylar. That super glossy look is not good. Stop it.

Are you talking about the x-men book or both of them Scott?

The X-Men book. The Conan book is still warped, but that's a separate issue. How did you press that one?

The X-Men book. The Conan book is still warped, but that's a separate issue. How did you press that one?

The x-men was the last experiment at higher tempature (185F) and that is where the high shine came from.

Conan was pressed at 160F with SRPF and no backboard between the platen like you suggested. I aslo followed your suggestion and used a humidity chamber instead of steam and the Conan was in there for 6 min but the water was a little too warm I think. I have a FF64 I am about to post with cooler water and I think it looks better. I am also using very little pressure.

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

The x-men was the last experiment at higher tempature (185F) and that is where the high shine came from.

Conan was pressed at 160F with SRPF and no backboard between the platen like you suggested. I aslo followed your suggestion and used a humidity chamber instead of steam and the Conan was in there for 6 min but the water was a little too warm I think. I have a FF64 I am about to post with cooler water and I think it looks better. I am also using very little pressure.

Yeah, 185 is too hot. You used SRP with that? Amazing. It looks just like the ones you did with the Mylar before.

The Conan looks like it was too moist and that it was removed from pressure before it dried out completely. Having your humidity chamber too warm can waterlog a book in a very short time.

Yeah, 185 is too hot. You used SRP with that? Amazing. It looks just like the ones you did with the Mylar before.

The Conan looks like it was too moist and that it was removed from pressure before it dried out completely. Having your humidity chamber too warm can waterlog a book in a very short time.

This is interesting information. I find that on the press I've been experimenting with (looks too be polished cast iron or stainless steel platens on top and bottom), the results vary based on the length of time taken to preheat the platen. Meaning, in such cases a controlled experiment would need to factor in heat-up and cooling times of the platen so that the book isn't over/under exposed.

I've often brought it up to 180 (with slight variances of 5 degrees lower/higher based on the preheated details above) and have been using mylar silicone release paper for the front/back covers and regular silicone release paper for the interiors. I find with the mylar it produces a scoring effect on the brighter and more reflective inks on the cover. It looks quite nice in some cases, but in other examples you have to be cautious about using mylar because it creates too much (sheen) contrast on titling and subtle uses in composition elements if the cover is otherwise overwhelmed by (matted) opaque/dull colour schemes and backgrounds.