• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing experiment #50020021
6 6

244 posts in this topic

Hey do you have any Pics of the previous 10100101552 experiments??

Hey there, I knew it was only a matter of time before that question came up as people are curious. Taking all these photos and compiling them in a post takes me a fair amount of time. I also always seem to forget at least one before pic I should have taken. Typically I select the comics with the chance of the most dramatic change for my detailed experiments. If its examples of comics not so lucky you want to see I can dig up some of my cadavers for you. I don’t take before photos of every comic due to the amount of work that would add on my already limited amount of free time I have. Plus sometimes I’m just plain lazy.

I thought every comic was sacred,in whatever shape it was in. You people condone someome who at best would be called a rank beginner mutilating comics just for the thrill of it?

Maybe next,Kenny can write and draw an issue of Miracle Man. How hard can that be. After all,he knows how to cut stainglass.

Shad, you crack me up. How do you think people in the restoration business got to the point where they are called professional? They spent alot of time, and ruined alot of books, that's how. Those who get better at it are the ones who learn from their mistakes. We are all guilty of being ignorant of diffrerent things until we spend the proper steps required to be considered otherwise.

Mutilating comics?... rank beginner? The Thrill of it?.. 27_laughing.gif...you crack me up! Shad, I was once rank I suppose...but I have around 30 hours of actuall on hand pressing experience under my belt already.I have made paper from scratch during my art school days, I have read as much as possible about this topic. I am only doing this with the sole purpose of learning more about it through different types of pressing excersises, there is no thrill involved. I am taking it to the next logical step...when do I qualify to become a full jedi?..let me know your criteria, ok?

Your analogy comparing pressing books and drawing comics is laughable at best. Drawing takes skill, even other forms of real restoration takes a degree of artistic skill. Sure you can get better at both with practice, but I know for a fact I could spend 5 hours a day drawing and never draw anything of worth...On the other hand pressing comics is more about tools, and the knowledge of how to best utilize those tools...oh.. and practice, practice, practice.

I work with my hands, I have a way with tools. Pressing involves tools and materials I am familiar with.. Why is that so hard for you to understand? I know my limitations, this is not one of them.

You should know yours too and stay out of my threads unless you actually have something worthwhile to contribute.

And thnx for my 1 star rating!!

acclaim.gif

Ze-

Bravo Ze-man...that guys post gave me gas! :applause:

Glad to see you making progress Mike, and having fun while you are learning.

The real test is to hold the book by the spine and let the outeredge hang down.

Waggle it back and forth a bit and see if the covers corners flare up, or get what is called the "fly away wing effect" This is a typical when too much heat, or moisture is exposed to one side and not dried/cooled properly.

If not then you are on the right track.

It's amazing how much can be fixed and made to look much better with this process. Stunning really.

Thanks Logan, I am glad you find this process interesting. I buy allot of low grade comics that look like that so it's nice to get them looking better.

Glad to see you making progress Mike, and having fun while you are learning.

The real test is to hold the book by the spine and let the outeredge hang down.

Waggle it back and forth a bit and see if the covers corners flare up, or get what is called the "fly away wing effect" This is a typical when too much heat, or moisture is exposed to one side and not dried/cooled properly.

If not then you are on the right track.

Thanks for the encouraging words Kenny and yes I am having fun. I am still more interested with restoration in general but pressing is an important part of that. I haven't done that type of test yet but I have noticed when I take it out of the press the next day it is not fully dry and I have been running in my mind what I can do to fix that. I think I need to use even less humidity for one. The other idea I had was after it comes out of press is to put it between 2 blotters under pressure to grab the remaining moisture. I was thinking multiple pressings or more heat but what you just said tells me thats the wrong idea.

Mike, if I could suggest a product for drawing out any excess moisture,

and to be honest, I'm not sure of a manufacturer, but years ago when I

was actively collecting stamps, a company named THOR, made a

stamp press that I used when I'd soak stamps off envelopes. The buffer

pads used were a very high grade white felt. I know at one time they

were available in 11inch X 17inch pads for about $2 a sheet, though

that was 20+ years ago. Would probably work quite nicely on drawing

out any excess moisture during an overnight cooldown process. I also

used ultrasmooth 18X18 inch ceramic flooring tiles. Black tiles heated

up quite nicely here in the Texas sun, and I'd place a stack near a window

that allowed the sun in most of the day. Broke a leg one summer and

spent many many days enjoying that hobby.

Ya know.. I've pressed a book or two in my day ( :preach: ) but I've never seen results like the ones you've posted -- even after humidifying the book first. I find it very hard to believe that you only used one quick pass of steam on the front and back of the book. In my experience, the book would have to be quite damp to squeeze out those wrinkles. Are you giving us the whole story?

Mike, if I could suggest a product for drawing out any excess moisture,

and to be honest, I'm not sure of a manufacturer, but years ago when I

was actively collecting stamps, a company named THOR, made a

stamp press that I used when I'd soak stamps off envelopes. The buffer

pads used were a very high grade white felt. I know at one time they

were available in 11inch X 17inch pads for about $2 a sheet, though

that was 20+ years ago. Would probably work quite nicely on drawing

out any excess moisture during an overnight cooldown process. I also

used ultrasmooth 18X18 inch ceramic flooring tiles. Black tiles heated

up quite nicely here in the Texas sun, and I'd place a stack near a window

that allowed the sun in most of the day. Broke a leg one summer and

spent many many days enjoying that hobby.

Thanks for the tips towards, I welcome the input. The sun wont work for me though as I live in Oregon. :kidaround:

Ya know.. I've pressed a book or two in my day ( :preach: ) but I've never seen results like the ones you've posted -- even after humidifying the book first. I find it very hard to believe that you only used one quick pass of steam on the front and back of the book. In my experience, the book would have to be quite damp to squeeze out those wrinkles. Are you giving us the whole story?

Jeewhiz Cheesewhiz, I thought my "story" was very detailed. :) I even showed the steamer I used. Regardless of what you and I consider to be a quick pass, I already determined my 1st attempt to be too much humidity and 2nd attempt as well and will keep trying less and less until I don't get these good results. (thumbs u Why you are not getting the same results as me I cannot say but no doubt we are doing it differently with different presses,paper, type of humid exposure, temperature ect. As my pressing positivly evolves you can count on me posting the details. :insane:

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

but I have noticed when I take it out of the press the next day it is not fully dry

Well this is obviously not good. Still damp after a heat press? wtf :(

Sounds like this is due in part from using mylars to prep the book with(which also is responsible for the unnatural flatness), and too much moisture to start with.

Applying moisture directly is typically a big no no because it can be applied unevenly. Scott touched on this earlier.

Was the Silver Surfer book still damp after pressing?

I would actually agee with Cheesy, the results you posted are not typical for the minimal approach you said you took. But results can vary greatly from person to person so don't take it personally.

Consider the audience, we know you want to make a good showing and many are still skeptical. Keep at it and keep posting your results if you enjoy it.

I will just watch from afar now because I am the poopy head who wont talk openly about what might or might not work better. :shy:

I would actually agee with Cheesy, the results you posted are not typical for the minimal approach you said you took. But results can vary greatly from person to person so don't take it personally.

Consider the audience, we know you want to make a good showing and many are still skeptical. Keep at it and keep posting your results if you enjoy it.

I will just watch from afar now because I am the poopy head who wont talk openly about what might or might not work better. :shy:

I totally understand, and understand others are going to ask questions and I don't have a problem with that. If its a debate of how much humidity is being used I try to convey how much I am using but that is hard. As far as leaving out any steps I took there are none. I don't think your a poopy head Kenny, you have to do what you have to do and I appreciate what feedback you do give.

is there a clfif notes on whats best to use? supplies and all. i'm curious on doing some experiments too

Cheap option:

steam_iron.jpg

Paper_Ream_4979cf8767df8.jpg

Real cheap option:

obesenv1.jpg