• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Some Advice

16 posts in this topic

Hi all. I was wanting your opinions on a deal I have in the works. The pages are on hold for me so I don't mind posting the details.

I'm interested in pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 here: http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Details=1&GSub=451

The asking price is $915. I made an offer and the counter to my offer is $815 + $15 shipping. That's $166 per page average.

Do you guys think this is a fair price? I really like the artist, the comic, and I love the five page sequence. Should I take the offer? What would you do?

Well I have never heard of the artist, and I am not familiar with the book in question.

So I can't help you there.

If you love the pages, and the artist and you are getting $100 off it is hard to find a downside.

Chris

Frusin has done quite a bit of work on Hellblazer. I like his work and rate him right up there with Manco. I don't think this will be a bad deal at all but I don't know if you are looking at it as an investment. If you are, well that's up to you. If you aren't it's pretty nice to get the pages you want at that price. Me, I would have said $815 shipped and called it good. But I am one cheap 893censored-thumb.gif bastiche!!!

I think it's an ok deal. They'd probably go for a little less on ebay, but they obviously arent available there, so this is your only option. It probably hurts a bit that the main character isn't featured in the pages.

Frusin is the rare artist whose art looks much better in color to me. I was planning on buying a few pages from Loveless, but they just don't do it for me in b&w.

If you love the pages, and the artist and you are getting $100 off it is hard to find a downside.

I agree.

Perhaps you could get a few pages from Loveless cheaper somewhere else like Ebay, but not in a sequence like that. If I had the money and could get a run of several pages from a book and artist I liked, I wouldn't think twice about it. But I'm also impulsive, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

OG,

It might be an okay offer depending on what the aritst wants for them. A lot of the guys that Mark reps tell him a set price they want from a piece. Mark then adds a little juice and tries to move it. My guess is that he only bumped these 10% or so.

OG,

It might be an okay offer depending on what the aritst wants for them. A lot of the guys that Mark reps tell him a set price they want from a piece. Mark then adds a little juice and tries to move it. My guess is that he only bumped these 10% or so.

Mark helps the artist determine the price. Based on his counteroffer ($815), his markup has to be more than 10% ($915-10% = $823.50). My guess would be 15-20%. Regardless, the markups aren't usually very much...they're so low that most reps can't even absorb PayPal fees (see also Spencer Beck).

As to the question that started this thread...for now, this is the only way you can get the art, so it's up to you if it's worth it or not. I don't know what Frusin art typically goes for, but you can compare his page prices with other artists on the SplashPage site as well as other new art sites, to get an idea of what current art goes for. If you pass this up, it is very unlikely you will ever be able to get the entire sequence later after they've been sold to others. It's a cool 5 page sequence. If the reason you like this art is for the sequence in its entirety, then I would go for it. Good luck!

If the reason you like this art is for the sequence in its entirety, then I would go for it.

I second that.

I'm finding that collecting OA is a personal thing, and is hard to quantify strictly in dollars and cents. The "X factor" is how you feel about this sequence, and how you would feel a little while down the road if you passed on it. If you're a fan of this artist, and are just looking for examples from his work, patience can pay off and you may find a better piece later on. But if you find yourself drawn to this particular sequence, and feel it's the kind of example you've been looking for, then I say go for it.

For what it's worth, the few pieces of art I've picked up over the last couple of months required NO internal debate, even though I know I overpaid for a couple of them. There were, however, A LOT of pieces that I was considering but ultimately passed on. Maybe this isn't the same for everyone, but to me certain pieces just "feel right", and I've decided that if I don't get that feeling, I don't buy.

My choice was made easy for me.

My daughter is coming to live with me for ten weeks this summer (she gets here Saturday). After talking with her last night I decided that I would rather take a week long vacation with her while she is here then spend the money on OA. OA can come and go, but my daughter is 16 and will be out on her own very soon so I'm going to take every chance I get to spend time with her while I'm still the only man in her life.

I love those art pages, and think the price is fair, but a week long vacation with my daughter is priceless. Who knows, maybe I can pick up the pages down the road or maybe something even better will come along. Either way, it'll all work out for the best in the long run, of that I'm sure.

My daughter is coming to live with me for ten weeks this summer (she gets here Saturday). After talking with her last night I decided that I would rather take a week long vacation with her while she is here then spend the money on OA. OA can come and go, but my daughter is 16 and will be out on her own very soon so I'm going to take every chance I get to spend time with her while I'm still the only man in her life.

I love those art pages, and think the price is fair, but a week long vacation with my daughter is priceless. Who knows, maybe I can pick up the pages down the road or maybe something even better will come along. Either way, it'll all work out for the best in the long run, of that I'm sure.

893applaud-thumb.gif

you 893censored-thumb.gif softie. "pugnacious" my 893censored-thumb.gif

btw, i haven't forgotten about you wrt that Comics Journal or whatever. it's been sitting on my desk for a week; no time to read it yet.

but the day after i do read it i'll send it off