• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Its the primary colors that make them zing...Actually, Fine did not do any of the Weird covers. Number 1, at one point attributed to Fine is by Tuska...(followed by Simon, Ashe, Rice/Casaneurve and Patenaude)

Gotcha, my bad. I did think #1 was a Fine cover.

Of the run (which I have), I think #20 is about the toughtest to secure.

I believe you. I've never seen a copy for sale!

I thought Fine did the cover to #2?

Great book BTW, P5!! Any WEIRD is good!!

Any WEIRD is good!!

Especially when taken out of context!

Its the primary colors that make them zing...Actually, Fine did not do any of the Weird covers. Number 1, at one point attributed to Fine is by Tuska...(followed by Simon, Ashe, Rice/Casaneurve and Patenaude)

Gotcha, my bad. I did think #1 was a Fine cover.

Of the run (which I have), I think #20 is about the toughtest to secure.

I believe you. I've never seen a copy for sale!

I thought Fine did the cover to #2?

Great book BTW, P5!! Any WEIRD is good!!

I believe it is Simon. Eisner et. al. had no hand in post April 1940 Fox, covers.

Again for those who are interested, i post again the link to my article on early Fox books to give a rough idea on the chronology and timing.

Check out the gallery, in which the covers are posted chronologically as a group by month....

http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

jon

Hi all,

Ryan asked me an interesting Fletcher Hanks question off-thread that I would like some help with. I beleive that Hanks did several Buzz Crandall stories in Planet Comics, but I have only seen one of them from Planet #7 which I am using in the book (and from which the tile of the book is derived: "I Shall Destroy All of the Civilized Planets").

I believe that the Buzz Crandall stories from Planet 2-8 were done by Hanks under the name "Henry Fletcher", but I have not seen them except for #7. Planet # 3 &4 may not have Buzz Crandall stories at all and I have seen the Crandall story in #5 creditted to Nick Cardy (how old was he? 12?)

If you have any of these issues, would you mind posting a couple of panels? I can tell the group immediately if they are by Hanks or not.

Hey Paul, nice to "see" you and eagerly awaiting the book.

It was a surprise to me (and great news!) that Hanks did work for Planet Comics. While we're in the neighborhood so to speak, do you know which issue of Jungle was the last to carry a Hanks story?

Hey Paul, nice to "see" you and eagerly awaiting the book.

It was a surprise to me (and great news!) that Hanks did work for Planet Comics. While we're in the neighborhood so to speak, do you know which issue of Jungle was the last to carry a Hanks story?

I don't think he did that many for Planet but Paul can confirm that. I only see the # 7 as Hanks work. Here go the scans -

Planet 5 Splash -

1823975-Planet5-BZSplash.jpg

Planet 5 Page -

1823975-Planet5-BZ1.jpg

Planet 5 Page -

1823975-Planet5-BZ2.jpg

1823975-Planet5-BZ2.jpg.19ec5f788751c16657b5b92870334f67.jpg

Wow! you guys are quick!!

O.K. We can scratch Planet #5 & 6 as NOT by Hanks. Planet #7, the one you show above, is by Hanks and appears in my book.

I think that the final Fantomah story by Hanks was in Jungle #15. It contains an amazing transformation triptych (that I am putting on a t-shirt) of Fantomah turning from Jean Harlow to Skull Face via Mrs. Pruneface. After that issue, Fantomah, was continued by some other guys who gave up the business of her turning grusome when provoked. She just wasn't the same Queen of Jungle Retribution after that.

There are a few of these Jungle tales that I have not seen. does anybody have Jungle # 5, 6, 8, 11,12, 14?

Again, some of these may NOT be by Hanks, but I do not know for certain 'til I see 'em.

In the book I am reprinting Fantomah stories from Jungle #3, 7,9,10 &15.

Thanks for the info Paul. thumbsup2.gif

There are a few of these Jungle tales that I have not seen. does anybody have Jungle # 5, 6, 8, 11,12, 14?

Just picked up Jungle #12 and it's definitely Hanks...

1823791-jungle12hanks.jpg

I will try to get my bits and pieces together as a definitive checklist within the next few days.

I am really hoping that someone has Planet #2. For some reason I have in my notes that there is a tale in it that might be by Hanks featuring a character named Tiger Hart. Tiger Hart, eh? I can only imagine...But given that it is by Hanks, usually he trumps imagination.