• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

There are a few of these Jungle tales that I have not seen. does anybody have Jungle # 5, 6, 8, 11,12, 14?

Again, some of these may NOT be by Hanks, but I do not know for certain 'til I see 'em.

In the book I am reprinting Fantomah stories from Jungle #3, 7,9,10 &15.

I have Jungle #'s 5 & 6.

Wow, thanks for posting those pages, Scrooge!! Can't wait to go through them in detail!! That Hanks' story looks incredible...

As always, when i see Hanks work I haven't previously seen, it makes me itch for the new book coming out!!

...As always, when i see Hanks work I haven't previously seen, it makes me itch for the new book coming out!!

A while back I read a fascinating interview with Hanks son. He's lead an incredible life himself. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember his father very fondly. I suppose details of all that will be in the book.

No pictures right now, but I did check my available books today and here's what we have:

Planet 2 [February 1940] - "Tiger Hart of Crossbone Castle on the Planet Saturn" 5 pg story by Fletcher Hanks (signed 'Carlson Merrick').

Planet 3 [March 1940] - no Hanks.

Planet 4 [April 1940] - no Hanks.

Jungle 5 [May 1940], Jungle 6 [June 1940], and Jungle 11 [November 1940] all have Fantomah stories by Hanks (signed 'Barclay Flagg').

Great Stuff...

STEVE

Fantastic (Comics), Steve.

Please post a page or two when you get a chance.

There will be plenty in my book from Hanks' son. "I Shall Destroy All of the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks", is a collection of 15 Hanks stories followed by a comics story by myself that recounts my meeting with Hanks' Jr. and explains (in part), "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks".

The book is back from the printer and in the warehouse. It will be in bookstores in a few weeks. The fastest way to get a copy, I am told, is to order through Fantagraphics (this way you also support the guys who are doing more for the preservation of old comics than anyone else!).

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/bks.html

Thanks Steve! I was dying to see what that story looked like... if it didn't say it was set on Saturn at the beginning, I wouldn't know it was supposed to be a sci-fi story!! Thanks so much for posting this rare gem.

Is Tiger's head really small, or is his body really big?

Your #2 looks to be absolutely killer, as are all your books. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Incidentally, for anyone interested in seeing a bio of another artist as unique as Fletcher Hanks; I'd recommend the DVD, In the Realms of the Unreal.

Here's the Netflix summary:

By day, Henry Darger was a reclusive janitor who had few -- if any friends. But at night, he became a literary artist with a unique vision. Darger's 15,000-page novel is a wonderland of imagination as it details the exploits of seven angelic sisters who lead a rebellion against child enslaving men. Featuring the voices of Dakota Fanning and Larry Pine and the work of talented animators, this film tells the story of Darger's hidden world.

Incidentally, for anyone interested in seeing a bio of another artist as unique as Fletcher Hanks; I'd recommend the DVD, In the Realms of the Unreal.

Here's the Netflix summary:

By day, Henry Darger was a reclusive janitor who had few -- if any friends. But at night, he became a literary artist with a unique vision. Darger's 15,000-page novel is a wonderland of imagination as it details the exploits of seven angelic sisters who lead a rebellion against child enslaving men. Featuring the voices of Dakota Fanning and Larry Pine and the work of talented animators, this film tells the story of Darger's hidden world.

Wonderful recommendation, BZ. The film itself is incredible, and Darger's story even more so. True naive art.

Thanks for posting that, Steve. I have a strong suspision that the Tiger Hart story was penciled and inked by Hanks, but written by someone else, perhaps "Carlson Merrick". Does anyone recognize this name from other comics? For a Hanks story, it lacks a certain weirdness. For one thing, the quality of the graphics seems strictly dictated by the plot. Often in Hanks own tales there is a feeling that the picture came first and then the text.

Kirby-Lee stories have a bit of the same feeling. Lee would outline a story which Kirby would then draw. Lee would then take the finished drawings and put words in the balloons.

It is interesting that you bring up Darger. Over at the Comics Journal Messae Board I began a thread simply announcing the Hanks website. The thread got detoured into a discussion about the merits (or lack their of) of Darger's work. I love Darger's stuff and understand why people might want to connect the dots between the two artists.

Darger, however, really is the classic definition of the "Outsider Artist". He worked in a vacuum solely for his own needs, amusement, or personal therepy. Hanks was a trained cartoonist who delivered the work to a publisher with the full knowledge that it was to be published and that he was to be paid for it.

It is interesting that you bring up Darger. Over at the Comics Journal Messae Board I began a thread simply announcing the Hanks website. The thread got detoured into a discussion about the merits (or lack their of) of Darger's work....

Thanks for the tip about the Comics Journal Message Board. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

After checking it out, I must say that I found Craig Yoe's assessment of Darger's work being creepy and sick, while finding Hanks work happy and joyous, at odds with my own opinions.

An interesting interview with Hanks son, can be found at the following URL.

Fletcher Hanks Jr Interview

Thanks for posting that, Steve. I have a strong suspision that the Tiger Hart story was penciled and inked by Hanks, but written by someone else, perhaps "Carlson Merrick". Does anyone recognize this name from other comics? For a Hanks story, it lacks a certain weirdness. For one thing, the quality of the graphics seems strictly dictated by the plot. Often in Hanks own tales there is a feeling that the picture came first and then the text.

My pleasure, and you echo my own thoughts - though I certainly enjoy the story, it does have the air of strictly being a modified filler piece.

The Hanks story is becoming more interesting by the day. Really looking forward to the book...

STEVE

Hi guys,

I believe that the Hanks book may now be available at your local comics store.

-Paul

Diamond shipped them to stores yesterday. We got it in and it looks great!

There will be plenty in my book from Hanks' son. "I Shall Destroy All of the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks", is a collection of 15 Hanks stories followed by a comics story by myself that recounts my meeting with Hanks' Jr. and explains (in part), "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks".

The book is back from the printer and in the warehouse. It will be in bookstores in a few weeks. The fastest way to get a copy, I am told, is to order through Fantagraphics (this way you also support the guys who are doing more for the preservation of old comics than anyone else!).

http://www.fantagraphics.com/recent/bks.html

Paul,

Just finished reading "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks" from your book. I gotta say it was pretty amazing and very touching. Not what I was expecting at all. Since I don't want to give anything away, I will say only that the book is beautifully packaged (the usual high quality Fantagraphics spoils us with), the reproductions are awesome, and your afterword was well done and moving. Everyone head out to your LCS and get it, or demand that they order it for you.

Thanks,

Richard

Paul,

Just finished reading "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks" from your book. I gotta say it was pretty amazing and very touching. Not what I was expecting at all. Since I don't want to give anything away, I will say only that the book is beautifully packaged (the usual high quality Fantagraphics spoils us with), the reproductions are awesome, and your afterword was well done and moving. Everyone head out to your LCS and get it, or demand that they order it for you.

Thanks,

Richard

C'mon spill the beans.

What happened? popcorn.gif