• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,178 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I had asked a question about Joe Simon's Fox covers that arose from a comment so I'm bringing it here. First I'll be honest and say I don't know the exact difference between the terms "Inks" and "Colors". I was wondering who may have done the colors and/or inks on his Fox covers in May/June/July 1940. Especially May and June. 

To me the cover colors especially on most of the May and June covers look very similar to the colors of the Lou Fine and George Tuska covers that preceded them, but I think it's a fact that Fine and Tuska were both splitsville from Fox after April 1940.  Kind of sad that many of the colorists on so many great covers of the era are unknown today. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-30_005619_www.comics.org.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-30_005716_www.comics.org.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-30_005753_www.comics.org.png

On 5/30/2024 at 7:34 AM, Straw-Man said:

some wonderworld and blue beetle covers belong in that search.

Yeah you're right. I thought most of the ones I posted up there were the most Lou Fine'esque examples.......color wise. I guess I was trying to figure out if anyone from the Iger, Eisner, Fine crew might have stuck around after what I believe was a bad break from Victor Fox. Simon said Kirby was already at Fox when he arrived there , but I doubt he was  doing any cover art even after Joe got there. Whoever it was I suppose was trying to emulate the styles of Fine and Tuska in those first 2 or 3 months.

On 5/30/2024 at 1:00 AM, Professor K said:

Hey everyone. I had asked a question about Joe Simon's Fox covers that arose from a comment so I'm bringing it here. First I'll be honest and say I don't know the exact difference between the terms "Inks" and "Colors". I was wondering who may have done the colors and/or inks on his Fox covers in May/June/July 1940. Especially May and June. 

To me the cover colors especially on most of the May and June covers look very similar to the colors of the Lou Fine and George Tuska covers that preceded them, but I think it's a fact that Fine and Tuska were both splitsville from Fox after April 1940.  Kind of sad that many of the colorists on so many great covers of the era are unknown today. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-30_005619_www.comics.org.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-30_005716_www.comics.org.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-30_005753_www.comics.org.png

Save for MM #10, I'm not a fan of these color designs, even after seeing Church/high grade copies of most of them.

MM 3,6,7,8 good color designs.  WW 7,8,11,12, same.  Fant 1,3,4,5, same.

From what I see, color designs deteriorate after the departure of Fine, which is consistent with Berk's speculation of Fine's involvement.  (Note:  There are some nice designs scattered among later issues.)

Books after these don't do much for me.

On 5/30/2024 at 3:20 PM, adamstrange said:

Save for MM #10, I'm not a fan of these color designs, even after seeing Church/high grade copies of most of them.

MM 3,6,7,8 good color designs.  WW 7,8,11,12, same.  Fant 1,3,4,5, same.

From what I see, color designs deteriorate after the departure of Fine, which is consistent with Berk's speculation of Fine's involvement.  (Note:  There are some nice designs scattered among later issues.)

Books after these don't do much for me.

Oh I don't think the ones after these do much for anyone, except for a few toward the end of the series('s). I think Mr. Berk was correct about Fine doing his own. I think who ever took over the duty the first few months after Fine left was doing their best to look like him. 

You have a better eye for detail that I know. It was nice to hear you say that about MM 10 because I have one :yeehaw:

1940-5 Mystery Men 10.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 9/29/2023 at 10:25 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

Another Fox that didn’t make an appearance in this amazing auction

F0AFF1D0-B3C5-45FF-801B-7614D395690C.jpeg

I picked up a copy a little while ago and as soon as I get a repro cover made, I'll crack it and stack it! I know a coverless with a replica cover isn't some people's cup of tea, but some books are so rare ... ya take what you can get. 

U.S. Jones 2 NG c-ow.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

Rather surprised that there's been absolutely zero talk at all by the Fox aficionados here about the highest graded set of 10 Church/Berk Wonderworld's from Wonderworld 4 and the later issues in the run through to Wonderworld 30 that is about to hit the 3-minute extended bidding buzzer later today in CC's Event Auction:  :cloud9:  :luhv:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/?filtertype=&search=wonderworld&save=submit

Especially since these are clearly not the type of books that come available on a regular basis which definitely makes it interesting to see what happens by the time it's all said and done.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap: