• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

:signfunny:

'Foxes' are on the way... :cool:

Jon will have 2c to his name after all the books he's been buying lately. :applause: Congrats on the books!

lol

Did my wife tell you to write that? hm

It's true, I have been on a rampage this year. Especially since I've never had a better sales year (many thanks to the VCC!), and have taken on quite a chunk of freelance work on the side. It's gotten easier to talk myself into books I've always wanted, and to not miss the chance when a very scarce book comes around.

:signfunny:

'Foxes' are on the way... :cool:

Jon will have 2c to his name after all the books he's been buying lately. :applause: Congrats on the books!

lol

Did my wife tell you to write that? hm

It's true, I have been on a rampage this year. Especially since I've never had a better sales year (many thanks to the VCC!), and have taken on quite a chunk of freelance work on the side. It's gotten easier to talk myself into books I've always wanted, and to not miss the chance when a very scarce book comes around.

:applause:

Thanks!

(Plus, getting to know Ryan through the forums has been a true inspiration. Every time he buys a $2000 book, I buy a $200 one, and then come home and tell Elena "boy, you'll never guess how much Ryan spent on comics today!")

Thanks!

(Plus, getting to know Ryan through the forums has been a true inspiration. Every time he buys a $2000 book, I buy a $200 one, and then come home and tell Elena "boy, you'll never guess how much Ryan spent on comics today!")

Wrong approach:

"Boy, you'll never guess how much I saved on comics today!"

The Hanks story from Witty is anoither lumberjack story like the Big Re McLane tales from the first few issues of Fight. In fact, he even swipes from himself! there will be examples from the upcoming interview in The Comics Journal (where Haks and the interview will be featured on the cover of the Best of 2007 issue! That's a scoop, for anyone who gives a hoot.)

I am fairly certain that the 1945 story was drawn later based on my knowledge of Hanks rendering style.

Does anyone have any suggestion where I should turn to ask this question (other message boards? other experts?) ?

Just for the record, here is the front and back covers to Witty Comics #1. Without thinking about it much at the time i was grading this puppy, i thought the lumberjack story to be pretty good,

WittyComics001.jpg

WittyComics01BACK.jpg

another 7/40 and before fox book bites the dust. thanks mike.

cgc10-20027.jpg

Very nice Billy, congrats...I have a low grade #1 and #2, I was going to put in the market place tomorrow, to help pay for some of the other books I've been grabbing, but now after seeing your's ..I don't know if I can part with mine...They are just lovely... and I blame Jon, I was only collecting a FEW issues, till I started talking to him about some Science books a few months ago..;):cloud9:

Saturday evening, I went to a book signing here in NYC by Paul Karasik, author/editor of the new Fletcher Hanks compilation. Paul gave a wonderful slide presentation on Hanks (hey Ryan, you would've loved it!), centered mainly around his Stardust stories in Fantastic Comics and his Fantomah stories in Jungle, and afterwards my wife and I got to chat with him for a bit. What a pleasure to meet such a nice guy and such a passionate Hanks enthusiast.

Thanks again Paul, and don't be a stranger around here! :hi:

Jon

49061-FletcherHanksTalk.jpg.1d00ee8cb5f1ba6ddb7ffec1b121ff9a.jpg

These books are plenty rich whether they have Lou Fine or Joe Simon covers! :applause:

Edited by adamstrange