• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Looking at the dates on the books in the Gerber guide, it doesn't appear that Weird Comics was on the stands any earlier than any other Fox books. However, what I might speculate is that as Weird was a new title at that time that Fox may have had the cover already drawn up by Fine in order to ensure that the second issue made it to the stands. Given Fox's legendary cheapness that may be a bit much to speculate, but I'm quite certain that Weird 2 is Lou Fine. (as another comparison, look at Mystery Men 9 with the alien skeleton's showing through their skin, a la the woman on Weird 2)

I don't think that the publication date poses any problems with it being a Lou Fine cover. The firing of Eisner/Iger would have been sudden and acrimonious leaving the shop without it's key editing and creative team. It's very possible that a planned cover had already been drawn or that a cover had been lost in the stacks. It definitely has some very nice qualities and could be Lou Fine -- that's who I thought the artist was when I was considering buying the Larson. But, as I noted earlier, I don't have a copy of the book now so hard for me to offer a confident opinion.

Interesting. Have you looked into whether or not Fine really drew the cover for Fantastic #4 also? That one never looked like Fine to me.

Me either :juggle:

FantaticFour4.jpg

Hah! I specifically put the "#" in there to prevent that! Bwahahahaahaahhaaaa

Looking at the dates on the books in the Gerber guide, it doesn't appear that Weird Comics was on the stands any earlier than any other Fox books. However, what I might speculate is that as Weird was a new title at that time that Fox may have had the cover already drawn up by Fine in order to ensure that the second issue made it to the stands. Given Fox's legendary cheapness that may be a bit much to speculate, but I'm quite certain that Weird 2 is Lou Fine. (as another comparison, look at Mystery Men 9 with the alien skeleton's showing through their skin, a la the woman on Weird 2)

I don't think that the publication date poses any problems with it being a Lou Fine cover. The firing of Eisner/Iger would have been sudden and acrimonious leaving the shop without it's key editing and creative team. It's very possible that a planned cover had already been drawn or that a cover had been lost in the stacks. It definitely has some very nice qualities and could be Lou Fine -- that's who I thought the artist was when I was considering buying the Larson. But, as I noted earlier, I don't have a copy of the book now so hard for me to offer a confident opinion.

In the future, please forward all attempts to buy Fox Larson's to me. :foryou:

Interesting. Have you looked into whether or not Fine really drew the cover for Fantastic #4 also? That one never looked like Fine to me.

Me either :juggle:

FantaticFour4.jpg

Hah! I specifically put the "#" in there to prevent that! Bwahahahaahaahhaaaa

:censored: Foiled again! :frustrated:

I will go with a sketched out Tuska cover before I go with Fine....It was Eisner who left. He did not get the heave ho....His Tudor City gang was set up in Dec. 1939.....Actually the guy who is great on recognizing art style is Ron Goulart.....jb

. It definitely has some very nice qualities and could be Lou Fine -- that's who I thought the artist was when I was considering buying the Larson.

Not to mix it up with the experts, but I agree Weird 2 has strong Fine elements to my eye.

. It definitely has some very nice qualities and could be Lou Fine -- that's who I thought the artist was when I was considering buying the Larson.

Not to mix it up with the experts, but I agree Weird 2 has strong Fine elements to my eye.

There are a number of covers with "strong Fine elements"- it is called "swiping" (check out Charles Sultan swipes or Bob Kane)-----okay here is Weird 1 and 2. The #1 is Tuska

70249.jpg.4f5c2f40d5e8968c7988a106f89b017f.jpg

70250.jpg.638145481d98ee816803a650cdbe71ce.jpg

Weird #2 is a great book, and perhaps the toughest of the run. I have what would be a pretty nice copy, except for the foxing and handwriting on the cover:

Do you have any other Weird's RHG?

I think this is the toughest Weird to locate...

Must be....because I have never seen a copy before. I normally don't care for the later issues but that one is very nice.

Great book Jon! (thumbs u

Weird #2 is a great book, and perhaps the toughest of the run. I have what would be a pretty nice copy, except for the foxing and handwriting on the cover:

Do you have any other Weird's RHG?

I think this is the toughest Weird to locate...

Must be....because I have never seen a copy before. I normally don't care for the later issues but that one is very nice.

Great book Jon! (thumbs u

last one i located....it is the Rockford copy.....Eagle 4 is in the same category (also the Rockford copy). It says something when they are only in 'pedigree' collections...i.e. the distribution of these last issues must have been abysmal, with only those hardcore guys securing copies.....

They say advise is what you pay for it, so 'free' advise is worth 'nothing'. But here goes. Pre-war Fox collectors, don't over look the last three or four issues of these Fox runs....Patenaude ( a lady) did some terrific covers!!!!

70270.jpg.3623cbb13171847278404482160d4e9a.jpg

Swiping....

Still is too crude for Fine and the timeline just does not work for me...but hey who knows....again Weird 1 and MM 6 were Fine covers until they got correctly attributed to Tuska.

Oh heck nice covers whoever did them....

Jon

Are you saying/thinking Hit #5 cover is not Fine?

Isn't the Scoop #2 cover by Sultan?