• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

I love these large scans -- they really show off these amazing copies!!!! (worship)

138754.jpg

A question for the Fox fans. One of the mysteries of the Atom Age I've wondered about is the distribution of the Fox properties in the mid 50s. Around 1954 Ajax-Farrell appears to have picked up a few Fox characters, The Flame, Samson and the Phantom Lady, but around the same time Charlton starts publishing the Blue Beetle.

My guess is that given their relative obscurity Ajax and/or their packagers at the Iger shop figured the characters were up for grabs and didn't formally acquire them, but the BB was better known, and Charlton, which was also picking up titles from Fawcett, Mainline and Comic Media around the same time, actually did formally gain the rights to the character.

The March one. The only notes on my May label are "Earlier issue #14 exists." Zoot 16 also has a "classic cover" notation.

They both had march listed as the date on them... I think it was just a mistake on the part of cgc to list them the same because my photo journal has your cover listed as 14a with a date of May.