• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:
On 7/25/2017 at 3:45 PM, MrBedrock said:

mysterymen4.jpg

MMen4Larson.png

Steve;

Not sure if it's just the lighting or the angle, but the colors on your Larson copy seems to "pop" a lot more than the colors on the Church copy.  :cloud9:

Congrats on another absolutely gorgeous eye-popping winner for sure!   :applause:

Would you happen to have one of those Mystery Men 7 or 8 wrapped in a Larson that's coming up?  hm  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if it's just the lighting or the angle, but the colors on your Larson copy seems to "pop" a lot more than the colors on the Church copy.  :cloud9:

Would you happen to have one of those Mystery Men 7 or 8 wrapped in a Larson that's coming up?  hm  :taptaptap:

I saw the Church at SDCC, and it absolutely pops (blazing, in fact) - I would just say it's the lighting/flash.

I do own the Larson Mystery Men 7, but it is raw.

I don't know where the Larson Mystery Men 8 is (never seen it).

35 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I do own the Larson Mystery Men 7, but it is raw.

Then you should give some thought to having your Larson copy of MM 7 graded.  hm

I believe this plus the MM 11 are both relatively tough to find in terms of the early Mystery Men run.  Especially with respect to finding MM 7 in grade, as I believe the Church copy was only a CGC 8.0 graded copy and one of the only Church MM's to finished out of the 9's in terms of grading. 

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Then you should give some thought to having your Larson copy of MM 7 graded.  hm

I believe this plus the MM 11 are both relatively tough to find in terms of the early Mystery Men run.  

The Larson MM 7 is gorgeous (eye-popping colors), but it has a coupon clipped out of the back cover so it'd come back Qualified. I'm quite happy with it raw.

MM 7 is tougher than MM 11, in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The Larson MM 7 is gorgeous (eye-popping colors), but it has a coupon clipped out of the back cover so it'd come back Qualified. I'm quite happy with it raw.

MM 7 is tougher than MM 11, in my opinion.

That's really unfortunate about the clipped coupon, but I am sure the book must be an absolute stunner other than that.  (thumbsu

Yes, I would agree that MM 7 is tougher than MM 11 in grade, although I do believe there is no Larson copy for the MM 11.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I do believe there is no Larson copy for the MM 11.  hm

Lamont hated the cover on MM 11.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I do believe there is no Larson copy for the MM 11.  hm

Since the Oriental villains all looked similar to Lamont, he simply thought he already had a copy of the book when it was really that inferior drawn copy of MM 10 that he was actually thinking about.  doh!

Why anybody in the world would want a copy of MM 10 when they could have a copy of MM 11 is beyond me.  :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:
2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

the guy in allentown liked it okay.  the guy on the bayou does, too.

mysterymen11.jpg

A real beauty here, and an Allentown to boot.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Well, it looks like you was lucky to be able to snag a real winner in this pedigree copy at a steal of a price when the Fox books were going through their decades plus extended period of deep freeze.  Perfect timing, I might say.  :applause:

A highest graded copy still to date at CGC 9.0 VF/NM and one that will probably stay that way going forward.  Especially since there is no Larson copy out there and the Church copy is most likely only in the Fine range (well, Chuck had it there anyways) or thereabouts due to the spine splits.  hm

Unless there's another pedigree copy out there that we don't know about, I pretty much doubt we will see anything better than this CGC 9.0 copy unless one of the lower graded copies decides to give itself a loveable squeeze of massive proportion, assuming that hasn't been tried already.  lol

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

the guy in allentown liked it okay.  the guy on the bayou does, too.

mysterymen11.jpg

Reminds me of the old Billy Joel song:

We're living here in Baton Rouge

And our comic books are really huge

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Reminds me of the old Billy Joel song:

We're living here in Baton Rouge

And our comic books are really huge

We're living here in Lafayette,

And we haven't mastered third grade yet.

On 7/30/2017 at 4:56 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks to the Berk auction, I was able to complete my run of the first issue of each of Fox's 5 flagship titles.  The Fantastic is the Denver copy.  The Wonder is an unrestored non-pedigree.  

WonderComics1.png

MysteryMen1(MH).jpg

WeirdComics1(Church).jpg

Science1(BW).jpg

Fantastic1(Den).JPG

On 7/30/2017 at 5:34 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks.  And it only took 26 years to complete the set.

Oh my, that's an incredible set of books!!! I have no words, except for these sixteen words.

So 26 years for these 5 books. What 5 books are you targeting for the next 26 years?