• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2021 at 4:07 PM, Spyder! said:

I'll never understand the obsession over 9.9's.  Talk about buying the label and not the book.  What's the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9?  Nothing.  There is no difference.  I'd challenge any grader to look at 9.8's and 9.9's out of the holder and accurately pick which was which.

Give me 1.0 Fox books all day!

As a grader, I can tell you there IS a difference, however, that does not mean the difference is worth the price!

The difference is SO tiny, that dollar-wise it really doesn’t make sense. There is a much bigger difference in defects between an 8.5 and a 9.0 than there is between a 9.8 and a 9.9... and to me, that’s where the real disparity lies!

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Here are the 3 Fox full covers I have that I am still looking for the guts too so I can bring them back to life!! What a Stable of cool artists too between Fine, Patenaude, and Simon!!

3387FF24-282E-46FE-BD70-218C6F2995D6.jpeg

Having the covers are the best part and always on the lookout :headbang:

17 hours ago, Timely said:
On 3/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, Spyder! said:

I'll never understand the obsession over 9.9's.  Talk about buying the label and not the book.  What's the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9?  Nothing.  There is no difference. 

As a grader, I can tell you there IS a difference, however, that does not mean the difference is worth the price!

So, are you saying that we missed our chance to grab that 9.9 graded copy of Transformers 1 for our personal collection.  lol  :p

Seriously though or kind of, as a long time grader who has worked for both companies, how am I supposed to submit a book such as this for grading?   Especially if I as a submittor probably couldn't tell the difference between a 9.2 book from a 9.8 worthy book, or if there was a dot of color touch on the cover even if my life depended upon it.  Because after all, that's exactly what I am paying the big bucks for you guys to tell me.  :wink:

Should I be submitting this book at the lowest possible tier on the assumption that it'll grade out as only a 9.2 copy or even worse, the book is absolutely worthless because some fool drop a dot of color touch on the cover?  Or should I be subbing it in one of the middle tiers since it just might be a HG copy that migth possibly be worth a few hundred bucks?  Or should I be going all out and doing it as a same day walkthough hoping that the grading company will take the bait and everybody will make some nice money after we find some crazed fool astute bidder buy the book for $44,000 big ones.  :devil:   :screwy:  :whee:  :banana:

Not sure if I do, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if I have one or two of these books somewhere in my personal collection which I had cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS back in the day.  Especially since being the mindless collector that I was back in the 70's and early 80's before I found GA, I threw my loonie down for the first few issues of some of these seemingly neverending onslaught of Marvel titles hoping against hope that one day there would be even a bigger fool than me who would actually pay me more for the book than what I had paid for it.  :facepalm:  :wishluck:

To tell you the honest truth though, it would never ever occur to me to get one of these books graded as I would much rather go for even a low grade copy of one of these HTF Fox book, as opposed to a uber HG copy of these "common as dirt" Marvel CA books with thousands of them slabbed already.  Then again, if somebody's willing to pay $44K for a copy, it could buy a really nice GA Fox book or possibly even a few of them.  hm  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

I’m not quite sure what you are asking, but no one submits for a 9.9. There’s a reason the highest prescreen is for 9.8. Anything higher is rare... and gravy!

I can tell you, in general, for me a 9.9 has to be centered virtually perfectly, no spine stress and only 1 tiny corner issue can be present... and by tiny I mean like the size of a pinhead. A 10 wouldn’t even have that as it should be flawless to the naked eye.

By comparison 9.8’s can have several more tiny defects such as a few light spine stress or 1 moderately sized one. 

Most books are not worthy of 9.9 on printing defects alone, such as tiny production tears at the spine corners, production edges creases, and on ultra moderns, production bends on the front and back cover. Many brand new books also have light circular indents near the corners, like the size of a nickel.

Hope that helps people know what to look for... in general! 

Oh, and Transformers #1 is notorious for a production rough cut, usually to the top edge of the back cover.

Edited by Timely

4 hours ago, comicjack said:
5 hours ago, Spyder! said:

It was a good St. Patrick's day for Spyder!

Absolutely love this cover.

weird02.jpg

Expand  

Love books that present greater than the grade i was watching that one :banana:

Not sure about this, but I think it would have received a grade commensuarate with its actual condition level if it had been slabbed with  Green Qulaified label.  hm

Then again, not sure about this since I thought a missing coupon usually means an "incomplete" book and automatically graded as a 0.5 Poor if slabbed witha blue Universal label.  Or are they basically saying here that the heavy accumulation of defects including the clipped coupon justifieds the 1.0 Fair condition grade. (shrug)