• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man Printing Plate?

41 posts in this topic

I've got the plates to a complete Legion Adventure story. In the mid-80s,Phil Seuling had boxes full ofthem,and would hand them out whenever we were waiting for the comic truck to arrive.I thought they switched the printing process before that Spidey was made.

cool.gif Cool shadroch can you post a few pictures I would love to see them especially the cover popcorn.gif that Spectacular Spider-Man #61 is from Dec. 1981 what do you mean by switching the printing process?

He means switched from a "letter press" to an "offset press".

No, that switch was not complete until the early '90s.

I don't have the cover. I'll see if I can dig them out next time I'm in my Moms garage. They are from the 1960s,and very different from the one shown.They are quite rigid with very sharp edges.

Dicex-would there have been different colored plates back then? All Mr Seuling ever distributed were plain silvery ones,although some had ink spills on them.He also had some four layered coloring guides but not for the same plates.

I sold most of the ones he gave me for a few dollars back in the 80s. Doubt I got $5 a page.Of course,thats when Joe Rubenstein used to be hawking his SA art for 10-15 a page.

I don't have the cover. I'll see if I can dig them out next time I'm in my Moms garage. They are from the 1960s,and very different from the one shown.They are quite rigid with very sharp edges.

Dicex-would there have been different colored plates back then? All Mr Seuling ever distributed were plain silvery ones,although some had ink spills on them.He also had some four layered coloring guides but not for the same plates.

I sold most of the ones he gave me for a few dollars back in the 80s. Doubt I got $5 a page.Of course,thats when Joe Rubenstein used to be hawking his SA art for 10-15 a page.

I can answer your question,even though I'm not DiceX,They don't make differant color plates,plates used now are usually a real light grey and the image is green or orange,after the plate has been on the press awhile it turns silver from wear and such.

The plates themselves are not different colors. The plates are all made of the same material. The ink that is put on them to print is what made the others shown above look to be different colors.

You have to have 4 plates to create a full color image.

Here are a few plates from another cover that do not have ink on them. This was a backup set that was created but never used.

These plates are made of lead with a nickle coating and are roughly 1/8" thick.

The plates used in offset printing today are only .013" thick and are made of light weight aluminum. Depending on the manufacturer, the image area can be various colors, which is actually just a chemical photopolymer.

1273439-P1010024.JPG

1273439-P1010024.JPG.b27af736d05c3a571f301a388b6c49c8.JPG

These plates are made of lead with a nickle coating and are roughly 1/8" thick.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif does this include the ones I have confused-smiley-013.gif Mine look like Tin and are fairly thin and light probably 1/16" Maybe 1/8" on some of the thicker parts confused-smiley-013.gif Don't think they are Lead or Nickle as their are a few spots of rust on them frown.gif.

The plates used in offset printing today are only .013" thick

When did they go to these in the 1990's?

cool.gif those Witching Hour plates you posted do not have the back cover attached just one side, when did they start making ones with both the front and back covers together on the same plate like mine?

I've seen these plates ...none however for Marvel..

bought some about 10+ years ago at the SD show

Captain Blue Hen had a bunch of Whitman plates..

very cool..especially when framed with the original comic.

Back then I think I paid about $25-50 for it...

in actuality it was 1/4 of the plate

they were usually made in what is called a 4-up format

4 per complete page...

I lucked out and got the first page with the indicia (publishers information)

on it.

I believe that the guy selling the Iron Man

plate must have been sniffing the printers ink...