• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man Printing Plate?

41 posts in this topic

hi.gif Might not be the right place to post this but I just got this Printing Plate to the Cover of Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #61 and had some Questions. Are these very Collectable does anybody on hear have any of these? if they do I would like to see them 893crossfingers-thumb.gif. I have been collecting comics for years and this is the first one I have ever seen 893scratchchin-thumb.gif . I kind of thought they were destroyed after the comics were printed is this not the case? Do they have much value? Any way hear it is I though others might like to see it I think it is very Cool cloud9.gif.

1272484-PeterParkerPrintingPlate.jpg

1272484-PeterParkerPrintingPlate.jpg.422ce9b051e4c9c9d7b429c4a5734d59.jpg

Nice Black Plate!

You could probably name your price to the right collector...

Do you have the Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow?

There are 4 plates to each spread...

I used to have a blast with this type of stuff in printmaking classes in college...

hail.gif

I actually have the printing plate to one of the original star wars posters. ( I am sure lucasfilm would like it back but not a chance) Often times the print shops sell these to a recycler. I got mine from a recycler who kind of knew he had something so I got it for 40 bucks. When I told steve Sansweet about it but didn't have it for him to confiscate ( he works for lucasfilm) he basically wrote it off as not being worth much maybe 100 bucks.. But honestly I think they worth 2 to 3 hundred Though I believe my starwars one is worth more.

I actually have the printing plate to one of the original star wars posters. ( I am sure lucasfilm would like it back but not a chance) Often times the print shops sell these to a recycler. I got mine from a recycler who kind of knew he had something so I got it for 40 bucks. When I told steve Sansweet about it but didn't have it for him to confiscate ( he works for lucasfilm) he basically wrote it off as not being worth much maybe 100 bucks.. But honestly I think they worth 2 to 3 hundred Though I believe my starwars one is worth more.

POST THAT PUPPY!

thumbsup2.gif

Do a search on printers plates on Heritage and you will see that a few come up every now and then and go for anything from 20 - 50 bucks. Given that it is spidey you may get 100 - 150 for it. I think they are cool display pieces, thumbsup2.gif

Do a search on printers plates on Heritage and you will see that a few come up every now and then and go for anything from 20 - 50 bucks. Given that it is spidey you may get 100 - 150 for it. I think they are cool display pieces, thumbsup2.gif

Most of the plates that have sold in the $20-50 range were relatively uninteresting plates for things like Little Lulu and stuff like that. This Spider-Man plate IMO would sell for more than $150. My guess is that it's probably worth a few hundred bucks. I know I'd pay $200 for it in a heartbeat.

Most of the plates that have sold in the $20-50 range were relatively uninteresting plates for things like Little Lulu and stuff like that. This Spider-Man plate IMO would sell for more than $150. My guess is that it's probably worth a few hundred bucks. I know I'd pay $200 for it in a heartbeat.

Little Lulu has a very ardent following and those plates are more significant historically than SSM #61. IMHO if you pay $200- then you are paying way over the odds. I know what I have had to pay for other SSM and Copper age spidey production art and the GA stuff goes for way more (unless they are keys like the giant size x-men and x-men #94 that went for crazy money on heritage).

Little Lulu has a very ardent following and those plates are more significant historically than SSM #61. IMHO if you pay $200- then you are paying way over the odds. I know what I have had to pay for other SSM and Copper age spidey production art and the GA stuff goes for way more (unless they are keys like the giant size x-men and x-men #94 that went for crazy money on heritage).

Yeah, but Spidey collectors like me have more money than sense. insane.gif

Do you have the Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow?

frown.gif No really wish I did then I could make some copy's grin.gif I did however get two more black cover plates 893whatthe.gif

Nice Black Plate!

Thanks I was real Happy to find it cloud9.gif.

You could probably name your price to the right collector...

devil.gif

I used to have a blast with this type of stuff in printmaking classes in college...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Sounds like you may have some knowledge on these. Have you worked with plates like this? How do they make them and what are they made of? these appear to be tin confused-smiley-013.gif. Do they still make plates this way? Another thing I have wondered about how do they apply ink to the plates in the printing process? I just find this very interesting any info is appreciated 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Where is DiceX hail.gif

I actually have the printing plate to one of the original star wars posters.

I would really like to see that, post it if you can 893applaud-thumb.gif. One of the other plates I got was a Marvel STAR WARS issue cloud9.gif

Often times the print shops sell these to a recycler.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif So do they Destroy most of these then? if so they would be quite Rare smile.gif. Is your plate made of Tin and How big is it Poster Size?

Sounds like you may have some knowledge on these. Have you worked with plates like this? How do they make them and what are they made of? these appear to be tin confused-smiley-013.gif. Do they still make plates this way? Another thing I have wondered about how do they apply ink to the plates in the printing process? I just find this very interesting any info is appreciated 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yep I have actually HAND MADE one of these plates kind of like this...

When I was in college, I dreamed of being an illustrator (before I went the design route)...

I took a print making class that showed us how to create one. One tone (Black)

(I'm sure the big magazine companies have machiens that do all below electronically)

Step One: Create the drawing in various levels of shaded detail.

Step Two: With a plan, brake down the levels of detail on how light to dark the detail is.

Step Three: Transfer the drawning via transfer wax paper to inverse the image to the metalic

side of the plate.

Step Four: Get your acid bath ready to do a timed dip for the different levels of dark to light

Step Five: Paint the lightest areas with a special coating that doesn't let the acid though

Step Six: Drop plate into acid for a timed bath

Step Seven: Pull it out, rinse it and paint the next level of lightness

Repeat 5-7 until the whole range of light to dark is created.

Remove the anti etiching paint, let it dry then and vol'a you're ready to ink with a roller

and pull it with a nice piece of quality press fiber paper through a roller press.

** NOTE this is the very old school method and is used today to make fine art only...

I created my wedding placement print with this method

and a nice art piece of General Lee in combat that won a few awards...

( I wonder if I could find that plate)

- You are right about the material - the plates are tin/alluminum.

In today's print world about the whole process is mechanized.

Where they take these plates of CMYK and do what they call a "Make Ready"

this is a linning up of all four plates to create the image.

The color spectrum can be created with this CMYK 4 color process.

The birth of the design field that work in is due to this process...

Alphonsa Mucha (to me one of the best line artist ever) created posters for advertisement

in europe and plastered them everywhere. Many of the comic book illustrators owe him

for not only technique but the method for producing the material!

Any more questions?

This is cool stuff!

893applaud-thumb.gif

I've got the plates to a complete Legion Adventure story. In the mid-80s,Phil Seuling had boxes full ofthem,and would hand them out whenever we were waiting for the comic truck to arrive.I thought they switched the printing process before that Spidey was made.

I'll get back to read the entire thread later.

Yes these are real printing plates.

No idea how much they are worth, but they are not common.

Here's a full set of all 4 colors...

1272980-P1010018.JPG

1272980-P1010018.JPG.2a27da5d2fc345cc53aa362c60eb7891.JPG

893applaud-thumb.gif Very Cool DiceX the other plate I have is a Wonder Woman too, I will try to get some more pictures up soon cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif Also thanks nerfherder-3 that is some great info I love that stuff is that the same way the comic company did them back in the day? and how did they apply the ink to the plate before it went onto the comic? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've got the plates to a complete Legion Adventure story. In the mid-80s,Phil Seuling had boxes full ofthem,and would hand them out whenever we were waiting for the comic truck to arrive.I thought they switched the printing process before that Spidey was made.

cool.gif Cool shadroch can you post a few pictures I would love to see them especially the cover popcorn.gif that Spectacular Spider-Man #61 is from Dec. 1981 what do you mean by switching the printing process?