• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C-Link's GA Auction

69 posts in this topic

I was surprised how cheap the Gaines file copies went.

Do you think that's cheap? Thanks to the grade inflation of ECs because of the incredible quality and quantity of the Gaines copies, a 9.2 copy of an EC is like a 8.5 for a normal book.

crazy.gif

I typically avoid any high priced ECs because I have no idea of the supply.

Experts on the Gaines copies can correct me, but weren`t there 15-20 copies of each issue? Based upon the grades that I`ve seen, the average grade appears to be 9.6.

Think it was 12 max. Some books have less. The Vault of Horror 12, I believe, has only one copy - CGC 9.2 poke2.gif

Yes, this sounds to be correct.

CBM had a write-up on the Gaines copies in a very early issue of their magazine. I believe it was probably in issue #2 and if I am right, was written by Overstreet himself.

Interesting to hear him talking about going to Gaines's closet and opening up all of these bundles of books and then having to rank them in condition order. Seems that some of Overstreet's condition order does not line up with CGC's grading order.

I was surprised how cheap the Gaines file copies went.

Do you think that's cheap? Thanks to the grade inflation of ECs because of the incredible quality and quantity of the Gaines copies, a 9.2 copy of an EC is like a 8.5 for a normal book.

crazy.gif

I typically avoid any high priced ECs because I have no idea of the supply.

Experts on the Gaines copies can correct me, but weren`t there 15-20 copies of each issue? Based upon the grades that I`ve seen, the average grade appears to be 9.6.

Think it was 12 max. Some books have less. The Vault of Horror 12, I believe, has only one copy - CGC 9.2 poke2.gif

Yes, this sounds to be correct.

CBM had a write-up on the Gaines copies in a very early issue of their magazine. I believe it was probably in issue #2 and if I am right, was written by Overstreet himself.

Interesting to hear him talking about going to Gaines's closet and opening up all of these bundles of books and then having to rank them in condition order. Seems that some of Overstreet's condition order does not line up with CGC's grading order.

Gaines had the printer set aside 12 of each of issue, but over time Gaines raided the stash to hand out/sell the books. This is the standard explanation for why you see an issue or two missing from random issues -- I don't think it explains VOH 12.

The Gaines family initially kept 4 sets of copies. I don't know whether any of those sets have subsequently been sold.

Overstreet had to rank 3500+ books in a couple days -- and the copies looked virtually identical to each other. The mind must go numb after awhile. Further, he didn't have or always take the time to examine the back cover very carefully. The intervening years may influence the final CGC grade as even slight handling defects that took place after the initial sale could easily alter the relative ranking.

Just a few hours into the auction on Sunday, and the More Fun #69 was at $14,000 already 893whatthe.gif

Well, it looks like this More Fun #69 didn't move off from this early bid price of $14,000. Did end up meeting reserve which basically works out to 4X guide for this copy of More Fun #69. Not sure if this is a strong price or not considering that it is the Church copy and it is a 9.4 highest graded copy.

Interesting to note that the Rockford copy of Adventure Comics #73 with the classic Manhunter cover failed to even reach half of its condition guide price. Maximum bid of only $7,500 with a list of 18 bids. Is this an overrated book or just overpriced in the guide? I know that I would much rather have this book as opposed to the almost equally pricey Adventure Comics #72.

A little suprised to see that the Canadain edition of Jughead #1 was able to fetch just a shade over the condition guide at $1,555. Must be a pretty healthy market for the early Archies out there, since I thought Canadain editions normally go for a pretty large discount to guide.

Archies and MLJ always surprise me with the prices they garner. Though, I have to admit, that sometimes I wouldn't mind buying one or two because they great reads for the most part.

I was a bit surprised on the Canadian Jughead #1 as well. It would be interesting to me to know if the person buying it was primarily a Canadian book collector or an Archie collector.

On a side note, I see that the Archie 1-3 just sold by Heritage have all turned up on ComicLink...

I was a bit surprised on the Canadian Jughead #1 as well. It would be interesting to me to know if the person buying it was primarily a Canadian book collector or an Archie collector.

On a side note, I see that the Archie 1-3 just sold by Heritage have all turned up on ComicLink...

I screwed up when I saw them on CLINK and placed a buy on the Archie 1. Turned out the pictures were swapped and it was really the #3. I guess $900 for a low grade Archie 1 was too good to be true, but CLINK allowed me to cancel my buy.

hello all...

It looks like the Tec 38 is for sale on clink at $20,000 (Metro has a 7.5 at $35K)....both seem a bit strong, even for that nice of a book?...what is the price concensus out there, as I am looking to pick one up, but just not "sure" yet if the price is warranted...

rick