• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War Art - Speculation and Spoiler Warnings

86 posts in this topic

yeah, that's about right. It was somewhere between 9-10k and if I'm not mistaken, it sold on Ebay. Someone else may know more details....

Not sure about 9-10K, I had thought closer to 5-6K. But, nevertheless, many were shocked at the price realized. The high/winning bidder was someone with a handle 'deadpool' (or something like that), so there you have it.

The guy is a really big deadpool fan. I've sold a couple of pages to him in the past. His website is http://www.ultimatedeadpool.com/ .

yeah, that's about right. It was somewhere between 9-10k and if I'm not mistaken, it sold on Ebay. Someone else may know more details....

Not sure about 9-10K, I had thought closer to 5-6K. But, nevertheless, many were shocked at the price realized. The high/winning bidder was someone with a handle 'deadpool' (or something like that), so there you have it.

The guy is a really big deadpool fan. I've sold a couple of pages to him in the past. His website is http://www.ultimatedeadpool.com/ .

Yup, that's him. And, the cover is on the site, if you guys want to look.

Hey Chris, where did you hear that the last page was sold? I saw the site the moment it was posted and was already listed as Not Available. Did Spencer tell you as such? Just curious...

Chris

Yeah it is sold.

I asked about that. He said that it was sold that morning when the page was shown in the New York Post. Steve wanted to keep the pages, but he got an offer he could not refuse. Someone contacted Spencer before the pages could even be posted and threw a large enough number at Steve that he could not say no. The pricing was going to be pretty much, STOOPID MONEY ONLY, and someone stepped up on day one and said takeit.gif before the price could even be set or the pages offered out.

I have seen artists do this with pages that they would like to keep but that there is great demand for. Ask a huge number and if no one takes it you get to keep it, if someone takes it they can hardly feel bad with what they got for it.

In this case the price was set by the buyer before the artist could even put the pages up for sale with a number. So I guess the buyer set the bar before the seller ever did.

As for whether or not this is an historic event, this is something that has never happened to Spidey before, he has never voluntarily shown his secret identity to the world. So in that sense it is historic. However, this event will have to continue and not be wiped by Dr. Strange, or shown as a dream sequence ala Bobby in the shower on Dallas, to remain historic. The spidey-reveal is historic right now because of what has come before, but it will only continue to be referenced that way if it matters in the future. Which is why Bane and Doomsday are sad footnotes in history instead of historic events. DC found a way to make those events irrelevant and thus prevented those events from being historic in the long run.

Chris

Now we know where it ended up:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=195196&GSub=13651

It will certainly be interesting to see what (if any) repercussions this will have in Marvel continuity. We'll see.

Does anyone know what it sold for ??

Spencer was asking (minimum) $7500 each for the lesser pages in this sequence, so my guess is that it sold for at least that much. Maybe more as it was the first page that sold and presumably set the market.

McNiven's art is great. thumbsup2.gif But I fell Steve should just say..."Not For Sale" and hold on to the pages he wants to keep. Simple.

As far as the "historical" statement...not in my book...but then again I'm not a fan of Civil War. Besides a year from now Marvel is just gonna come up with another "Historic" idea (death of Spider-Man maybe!?!) in order to make a buck.

McNiven's art is great. thumbsup2.gif But I fell Steve should just say..."Not For Sale" and hold on to the pages he wants to keep. Simple.

As far as the "historical" statement...not in my book...but then again I'm not a fan of Civil War. Besides a year from now Marvel is just gonna come up with another "Historic" idea (death of Spider-Man maybe!?!) in order to make a buck.

You can't shame the guy for making a buck.

This was what I was saying. Time will tell whether or not this is important....I tend to think it won't be ; due to the track record of these type of events...All one has to do is look at the Death of Superman and the Death in the Family.....or any number of "events"

This was what I was saying. Time will tell whether or not this is important....I tend to think it won't be ; due to the track record of these type of events...All one has to do is look at the Death of Superman and the Death in the Family.....or any number of "events"

]

I would argue that I could find a large amount of people that would pay more than 7.5 K for the pivotal pages from Death of Superman or Death in the Family though too.

I would argue that I could find a large amount of people that would pay more than 7.5 K for the pivotal pages from Death of Superman or Death in the Family though too.

I've heard offers of as much as 10k for the right page from Superman 75...and said offer was rejected.

But Spider-Man didn't die...this 'event' is not really all that special is it? confused-smiley-013.gif

But I would argue that this is almost on par with it., if not on par with it. And honestly, his identity being revealed will probably have a much longer lasting effect on the Marvel Universe.

I've heard offers of as much as 10k for the right page from Superman 75...and said offer was rejected.

I could see that page going for 20-25K to the right buyer. That era will be nostalgic for many people with money quite soon...

I would pay stooopppiidd money for the Death in the Family stuff......I just meant that it's looked down upon now, as is the Superman death.....It doesn't carry the same weight as it used to....maybe I'm wrong, but that's my preception.

I don't think that its looked down upon at all - maybe that's a generational thing. I think you'll have some pleasant sales surprises in the next decade or so.

These events from the Big Two have always been gimmicky. My feeling is that nothing ever happens that truly add or subtract from the core of the characters...even dead characters come back!

But regarding CIVIL WAR specifically, here's what Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada had to say about it:

When asked if anything would erase the damage done to the Marvel Universe after the events of "House of M" and "Civil War," Quesada said "The point is that these toys are meant to be broken." Quesada said if the stories stuck to the status quo he'd be out of a job. He cited Spider-Man as an example: "Ruin his life, give him stuff, take it all away again."

I take this to mean that there will ALWAYS be some "major" or catastophic event foisted on these characters. Next year, something else will happen to Spidey, and the fact that he revealed his identity in CIVIL WAR will just be yesterday's news.

You can read the whole story here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8327

I could see that page going for 20-25K to the right buyer. That era will be nostalgic for many people with money quite soon...

I would hope so, as I believe when the book was auctioned the following year it sold for mid-five figures then.

I would hope so, as I believe when the book was auctioned the following year it sold for mid-five figures then.

Was the book sold as a whole?