• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

V for Vendetta record???

14 posts in this topic

Movie hype can do crazy things to people. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the initial frenzy for the movie is well over. There have been PLENTY of V art the last few months, I suspect all seeing the light of day as a result of the movie. None of them were as nice as this one and none of them reached anywhere near the $$ level this piece did, so I think the price realized here had more to do with the quality of the piece than any residual movie hype.

That said, I can personally confirm that other V pieces have sold in the last year through private sales that eclipsed the final bid in this auction (in two cases, well OVER this amount).

Felix

gulp!!

I've talked to many long-time collectors who can't get over what V art is commanding these days...considering that the series is almost 20 years old (in the US, over 20 years in the UK) and the art had always been priced at a much lower level during that time.

For me, I see it this way: There is much less of it than WATCHMEN, and it is finally getting the recognition it deserves as one of Alan Moore's greatest works. So why shouldn't the values be catching up to WATCHMEN?

Either V has been undervalued or WATCHMEN has been overvalued. Maybe that's too simple, that's just my thought in general terms.

I was/am a big fan of WATCHMEN. But I was absolutely blown away by V when I read it as a teen way back when. To me, it is the only major work from Alan Moore's prime period that was wholly his own creation...SWAMP THING, MIRACLEMAN, WATCHMEN all had roots in other people's characters. V was clearly a more personal statement.

Re-reading V again in recent years has proved that it still holds up for me (as does WATCHMEN, but unlike many of my other favorite comics from the 80's). It has its flaws, there are some silly moments, but it's also more timely than ever. Glad to see it get a boost from the movie.

For me, I see it this way: There is much less of it than WATCHMEN, and it is finally getting the recognition it deserves as one of Alan Moore's greatest works. So why shouldn't the values be catching up to WATCHMEN?

Either V has been undervalued or WATCHMEN has been overvalued. Maybe that's too simple, that's just my thought in general terms.

I was/am a big fan of WATCHMEN. But I was absolutely blown away by V when I read it as a teen way back when. To me, it is the only major work from Alan Moore's prime period that was wholly his own creation...SWAMP THING, MIRACLEMAN, WATCHMEN all had roots in other people's characters. V was clearly a more personal statement.

Re-reading V again in recent years has proved that it still holds up for me (as does WATCHMEN, but unlike many of my other favorite comics from the 80's). It has its flaws, there are some silly moments, but it's also more timely than ever. Glad to see it get a boost from the movie.

This may all be true, but we are talking about the art here NOT the Alan Moore story. For me, the art from V for Vendetta is pretty pedestrian. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This may all be true, but we are talking about the art here NOT the Alan Moore story. For me, the art from V for Vendetta is pretty pedestrian. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, people buy comic book art for different reasons. There's not a lot of comic book art that would appeal to mainstream art (or "fine art") collectors, no matter who drew it, or how pretty the picture they drew.

I've spent a lot of money on comic book OA, but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking it has any sort of appeal outside this rather insular collecting community. Therefore, whether the art is pedestrian or not is a secondary consideration. First and foremost (for me) is the comic story it came from and what it meant to me.

From a purely artistic standpoint, I think Lloyd's art is at least comparable to Dave Gibbons' stuff on WATCHMEN for better or for worse. I don't think it's the greatest art ever from the world of comics, but that hasn't stopped me from getting pieces from both series.

Movie hype can do crazy things to people. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the initial frenzy for the movie is well over.

Which follows the patterns since movie hype usually begins and ends before a film is released.

gulp!!

I'd agree with Felix. I think V has been overshadowed by all the attention focused on Watchmen. It was only a matter of time until it was re-evaluated and I think that for a lot of people that co-incided with the run up to V the film. If key V pages weren't so scarce I suspect the prices wouldn't be jumping this high. There are a number of collectors who've been half looking for a decent V page for a while and when one finally pops up they jump on it in case its their only chance. Despite the film, the number of pages that have come to light is still relatively small.

For the record, I personally don't think this page was exciting enough to have forseen that price, but if a no characters page goes for $1600, who's to say. Richard's certainly not going to argue.

I'm still looking for 2 pages and going by this I'm not sure I'd want to guess the going price.

V does have its flaws as a comic but after all it was one of Moore's earliest works.

Joseph

There was that two month period around the film's release where every lackluster page fetched over $1000. Now the market has settled down on those lower quality pages, as we saw when that recent batch hit the 'Bay. Apparently, the demand for high quality pages featuring V prominently is holding nicely.

J

gulp!!

I'd agree with Felix. I think V has been overshadowed by all the attention focused on Watchmen. It was only a matter of time until it was re-evaluated and I think that for a lot of people that co-incided with the run up to V the film. If key V pages weren't so scarce I suspect the prices wouldn't be jumping this high. There are a number of collectors who've been half looking for a decent V page for a while and when one finally pops up they jump on it in case its their only chance. Despite the film, the number of pages that have come to light is still relatively small.

For the record, I personally don't think this page was exciting enough to have forseen that price, but if a no characters page goes for $1600, who's to say. Richard's certainly not going to argue.

I'm still looking for 2 pages and going by this I'm not sure I'd want to guess the going price.

V does have its flaws as a comic but after all it was one of Moore's earliest works.

Joseph

This particular page is part of the opening sequence, and I suspect that is the reason it fetched such a high price. That initial opening sequence with the first meeting of V and Evey is phenomenal. I have one page (page 3), and Ken Danker has one page (page 6), and now someone else has one page (page 5). If page 4 ever pops up, I would go as high as it takes to get it.

And, with Alan Moore, you're buying the art mostly for the story. Although, in this case, I happen to like Lloyd's art as well. It's dark and moody, and perfectly fitted to the ambience of the graphic novel.

Reading V (one of life's pleasures), is rather like listening to "Strawberry Fields Forever" - once you know that the song was a composite of two separate performances, the second slightly sped up to match the first, and you first hear the join, you'll wonder how you didn't notice it in the first place and you'll never be able to not hear it on future listenings. V, also an epic composed in two parts, also barely disguises the hiatus which went between its initial publication and its DC-sponsored conclusion. It gets more "Moore-y" each chapter, and for me is probably the real gem amongst some dazzling treasures.

As for not liking Lloyd's art, whilst definitely not your average spandex fare, it's 70's Britain on a page. Marvellous stuff.

Crazy price for a page though, glad I've got one already :-)

I'm glad to see OA from V finally getting the respect that it deserves. There are few writers that have written such a strong story that the OA commands a premium. I think Sandman is a great example. The appeal of the OA would be quite limited without Gaimen behind it. I still can't understand why it took so long for V to command the respect that it seems to finally be garnering. It just goes to show - buy what you love - and you'll never be disappointed.