• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is this forum starting to feel like Ebay? *DELETED*

171 posts in this topic

Then there are the who hijack threads. Here's my overgraded underpriced NM Avengers 57 for sale only $60... devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Did I forget $8 postage? Ah just kidding y'all.

Link

all you have to do is not buy if you don't like condition or price. I would much rather sell or buy here and avoid the ebay fees plus overall the customer base is much better.

I've sold on Ebay and I sell here too. I tend to offer up stuff here first, because I feel like it's a community of people who I (to some degree) know, have interacted with, and, dare I say, trust. In recent listings I've tried to offer some stuff very cheap and have had success. I've listed stuff at "market price" in the past and had variable results. The crowd here is looking for deals or unusual or key items.

The people on these boards are pretty savvy so I agree that if someone tries to pass off overpriced overgraded books, they're going to get some resistance. But since many of the people on the Boards I would consider friends, I have no problem throwing some stuff out cheap and let somebody here benefit, rather than a total stranger on Ebay. thumbsup2.gif

And if it doesn't sell here, I can always still post on ebay and see what happens. The benefit to selling here is there are no listing fees and no commissions charged, which is why a lot of people are trying to pass stuff off here.

As others have said, if it don't sell here, there's probably a reason. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

'Nuff said!

I've sold on Ebay and I sell here too. I tend to offer up stuff here first, because I feel like it's a community of people who I (to some degree) know, have interacted with, and, dare I say, trust. In recent listings I've tried to offer some stuff very cheap and have had success. I've listed stuff at "market price" in the past and had variable results. The crowd here is looking for deals or unusual or key items.

The people on these boards are pretty savvy so I agree that if someone tries to pass off overpriced overgraded books, they're going to get some resistance. But since many of the people on the Boards I would consider friends, I have no problem throwing some stuff out cheap and let somebody here benefit, rather than a total stranger on Ebay. thumbsup2.gif

And if it doesn't sell here, I can always still post on ebay and see what happens. The benefit to selling here is there are no listing fees and no commissions charged, which is why a lot of people are trying to pass stuff off here.

As others have said, if it don't sell here, there's probably a reason. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

'Nuff said!

well said thumbsup2.gif

Sad but true. A buyer in the marketplace really does have to watch himself now. frown.gif

You have to do that anywhere. I still think these boards are one of the nest places to buy and sell books.

While it's bad form to craaap on someone's marketplace thread by taking issue with a grade or price, I have REALLY had to restrain myself as of late.

How is that bad? It ensures a generally accepted marketplace here. I took some heat on my Avengers #4 grade, and as a result of not coming to an agreement with the board I removed it. That was easy. Nobody seems to have a problem with any of my other books though. Maybe board members should voice their opinion in threads where they believe books are overgraded. It gives it that 3rd party grading effect.

Sellers are not the only problem. There is a lot of talk behind the scenes of bidders not honouring their purchases at an alarming rate. I know because it's happened to myself as well and i rarely sell here and it seems im not the only one. If you are "in the loop" you'll have heard about this.

Furthermore the best sellers, the likes of Nikos and comicdey, are just not wasting their time on us anymore frown.gif

Isn't that just a fact of life in this business? That will happen constantly at any CON. What makes it any different here? confused-smiley-013.gif As a salesmen you have to ensure they don't leave your booth without your book. If they do, then don't expect them to come back. I've had some people not honor buying my books. I don't think it is a big deal. I think if it happens constantly, then you might be reluctant to do business with them in the future. But that's about it. juggle.gif

Sad but true. A buyer in the marketplace really does have to watch himself now. frown.gif

You have to do that anywhere. I still think these boards are one of the nest places to buy and sell books.

While it's bad form to craaap on someone's marketplace thread by taking issue with a grade or price, I have REALLY had to restrain myself as of late.

How is that bad? It ensures a generally accepted marketplace here. I took some heat on my Avengers #4 grade, and as a result of not coming to an agreement with the board I removed it. That was easy. Nobody seems to have a problem with any of my other books though. Maybe board members should voice their opinion in threads where they believe books are overgraded. It gives it that 3rd party grading effect.

It's simply bad form. The market isn't the place to disagree with something because the seller isn't soliciting opinions, they are trying to make a sale. Your Avengers 4 was posted in the grading forum, which is totally different. I can tell you right now that I would not be pleased if you or anyone else took issue with my grades or prices. Of course there are exceptions to any rule, but having people (including UNINFORMED people) post whatever opinions they might have is simply a bad idea. If you want this place to degenerate into constant flame wars, feel free to dog someone else's books....because that's EXACTLY what will happen once you start criticising other people's wares.

The market isn't the place to disagree with something because the seller isn't soliciting opinions, they are trying to make a sale. Your Avengers 4 was posted in the grading forum, which is totally different. I can tell you right now that I would not be pleased if you or anyone else took issue with my grades or prices. Of course there are exceptions to any rule, but having people (including UNINFORMED people) post whatever opinions they might have is simply a bad idea. If you want this place to degenerate into constant flame wars, feel free to dog someone else's books....because that's EXACTLY what will happen once you start criticising other people's wares.

I agree that people shouldn't comment on listings while a sale is ongoing. If you see a scan of a NM book and it looks less than NM, or if you think the price is too high, then don't buy it and move on.

But, I've always thought one of the real benefits of forumites buying and selling from each other is a stricter code of enforcement for buyer and sellers. This means if you've actually bought a book and it was overgraded, or service was really bad, then you're obligated to the other members to say something publicly. Otherwise silence will be interpreted as approval.

As I see it, 2 things may come of this: (i) a well-intentioned seller will learn from this feedback and improve his grading/service, which benefits everybody, or (ii) a not-so-well-intentioned seller, or overly thin-skinned seller, will violently disagree leading to flame wars which will ultimately lead to that seller's departure, which again benefits everybody. The same thing goes for buyers.

You may think you're preserving board tranquility by staying silent, but all you're doing is allowing a bad seller/buyer to foist his cr*p on other unwitting board members.

If I may put my two cents worth here - I have had tremendous success buying AND selling right here on this CGC Forum - far far better than eBay! I intend to keep it up and these last two months have put a lot of fresh fun for me back in the comic book collecting!!!

CAL acclaim.gif

It's simply bad form. The market isn't the place to disagree with something because the seller isn't soliciting opinions, they are trying to make a sale. Your Avengers 4 was posted in the grading forum, which is totally different.

I posted it here in the for sale forum, and there was a debate over it here. That's why I took it off of being for sale.

I can tell you right now that I would not be pleased if you or anyone else took issue with my grades or prices. Of course there are exceptions to any rule, but having people (including UNINFORMED people) post whatever opinions they might have is simply a bad idea. If you want this place to degenerate into constant flame wars, feel free to dog someone else's books....because that's EXACTLY what will happen once you start criticising other people's wares.

Of course you wouldn't be pleased if someone took issue with your grades. I would be too. Rejection of opinions on something we see ourselves as experts on would probably displease anybody. Flame wars aren't great either...but then you've got problems with a forum flooded with junk. I don't oersonally mind, but it seems like some forum members are annoyed by this.

As for starting a flaming war, when I first got here I saw very little flaming going on. In fact, I said to myself this is the least flamed board I've ever been on, and I have been on about 10 other boards in my time, not all related to comics or collecting. IMO, if members suggest posting their comments on grading on other members selling threads, it will escalate into a full flrdged flaming war. Members will wait to retaliate. And more so, I think, for grading comments than selling prices. You can't really fault anyone for trying to to get FMV for their books, at least at first, and besides, you can always let the mad slasher make his move and discount them. That's much easier done than retracting a grade.

The market isn't the place to disagree with something because the seller isn't soliciting opinions, they are trying to make a sale. Your Avengers 4 was posted in the grading forum, which is totally different. I can tell you right now that I would not be pleased if you or anyone else took issue with my grades or prices. Of course there are exceptions to any rule, but having people (including UNINFORMED people) post whatever opinions they might have is simply a bad idea. If you want this place to degenerate into constant flame wars, feel free to dog someone else's books....because that's EXACTLY what will happen once you start criticising other people's wares.

I agree that people shouldn't comment on listings while a sale is ongoing. If you see a scan of a NM book and it looks less than NM, or if you think the price is too high, then don't buy it and move on.

But, I've always thought one of the real benefits of forumites buying and selling from each other is a stricter code of enforcement for buyer and sellers. This means if you've actually bought a book and it was overgraded, or service was really bad, then you're obligated to the other members to say something publicly. Otherwise silence will be interpreted as approval.

As I see it, 2 things may come of this: (i) a well-intentioned seller will learn from this feedback and improve his grading/service, which benefits everybody, or (ii) a not-so-well-intentioned seller, or overly thin-skinned seller, will violently disagree leading to flame wars which will ultimately lead to that seller's departure, which again benefits everybody. The same thing goes for buyers.

You may think you're preserving board tranquility by staying silent, but all you're doing is allowing a bad seller/buyer to foist his cr*p on other unwitting board members.

I hail.gif before you both! Nicely put! thumbsup2.gif

I posted it here in the for sale forum, and there was a debate over it here. That's why I took it off of being for sale.

That is something that bothers me as well, people coming into a seller's thread and bashing the seller's grading......extremely bad form. 893naughty-thumb.gif

If there's a disagreement, PM or move on. The seller can then choose how to handle it by removing it, regradding, asking in the grading forum, ect.

It seems to me the point of the initial post in this thread was that we had lost the specialness of this forum. It's turning into ebay because instead of having almost 100% of the time accurately graded books that people actually wanted at a fair price, we now have a lot of overpriced overgraded [embarrassing lack of self control] that people need to filter thru to find something good. The whole point was lamenting the loss of not having to filter.

To say what's the big deal, we have to do this on ebay or at a con all the time is missing the point. And to say sellers will stop when they don't get a response assumes sellers will get the message. Well, I don't think they will to the point of making this forum the way it was. They certainly haven't gotten the message on ebay, and I don't see a lot of resistance to posting books FS on this site. In fact, I've seen a lot of low# post newbies offfering books, and it's pretty obvious to me that this place is simply viewed by them as a no-cost alternative to ebay. It seems inescapable that we are going have many forum "members" who only visit the boards to sell their books in an ebay manner. I'd much rather have a Luxxcorp, who was at least passionate and amusing, than these types.

I agree that non-informed grading opinions are not welcome, but I have no problem with others speaking up when someone is abusing this site by acting like an irresponsible ebay seller.

It's turning into ebay because instead of having almost 100% of the time accurately graded books that people actually wanted at a fair price, we now have a lot of overpriced overgraded [embarrassing lack of self control] that people need to filter thru to find something good.

A "Post-1980 For Sale Forum" would get rid of half of this problem, IMHO... confused-smiley-013.gif