• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is this forum starting to feel like Ebay? *DELETED*

171 posts in this topic

Sad but true. A buyer in the marketplace really does have to watch himself now. frown.gif

While it's bad form to craaap on someone's marketplace thread by taking issue with a grade or price, I have REALLY had to restrain myself as of late.

Perhaps there needs to be some additional guidelines set for this forum before this gets out of hand.

I definitely sympathize with what you guys are saying, but I don't think it would be worth the bad vibes and arguments it would create to start a feedback system or busting on each other's grading. I've seen the same questionable books you guys have and had to restrain myself too, but at the end of the day it's easy enough just to pass them on by. If a forum member doesn't deliver on transactions at all (as with the lighthouse situation), by all means make it public...but as for grading and pricing issues, seems like it's easy enough to filter out the stuff you don't want and move on. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps there needs to be some additional guidelines set for this forum before this gets out of hand.

I definitely sympathize with what you guys are saying, but I don't think it would be worth the bad vibes and arguments it would create to start a feedback system or busting on each other's grading. I've seen the same questionable books you guys have and had to restrain myself too, but at the end of the day it's easy enough just to pass them on by. If a forum member doesn't deliver on transactions at all (as with the lighthouse situation), by all means make it public...but as for grading and pricing issues, seems like it's easy enough to filter out the stuff you don't want and move on. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

true enough. I guess 'no sale' is feeback enough

but as for grading and pricing issues, seems like it's easy enough to filter out the stuff you don't want and move on. Just my two cents.

I agree Point Five which is why I was hesitant to post anything at all. But filtering through all the overgraded, overpriced, inferior packaging, etc... is what I was doing on Ebay. I just viewed this forum as an oasis away from Ebay. It was nice to know that if someone was selling a NM and I posted my takeit.gif guy, I was going to receive a NM book. Lately, I'm not so sure.

Personally, I think forumites tend to give other forumites the benefit of the doubt, even newbies or people who basically only sell. Now, I can understand giving a forumite leeway if that forumite has established a reputation on the boards, but even then, all that proves is that they're part of this community and know something about comic books.

I treat this forum similar to eBay in that if the seller isn't someone I recognize, then I'll take a closer look at their scans and prices. Whereas for someone like October, I really only need his grades, since I've dealt with him on several occasions and can rely on his grading.

I agree that some people's prices are out of whack, some too low so they get snapped up very quickly, and some too high. I've started to make mental notes, and won't bother reading some threads.

I think every seller on here should agree to a money back gurantee. As well as the shipping cost to and from whovever they sold the books to no matter the cost. If you stand behind you grades you should back them up. I've only posted three times on here selling only once, but I made sure the buyer and everyone who saw the books for sale knew they were going to be out of pocket nothing if they did not like what they bought.

I definitely stand behind every book I sell and take returns with no-hassle. Considering I've probably given free shipping, it's probably fair to have the buyer pay to return it in my case. Haven't really thought about it much as I think I got one or two books back in the past year. (Not for apparent grades but for hidden defects I missed on 1950s books I was selling on commission.)

The basic thrust of this thread is a good one. You do have to watch yourself here. But who's to say that someone asking cover price for a comic is charging too much? Just move on, is my motto. If someone isn't having success they won't be sticking around cluttering up the forum very long. The point about some forumites overgrading is a very good one.

This place still beats ebay by far.

Marc

but as for grading and pricing issues, seems like it's easy enough to filter out the stuff you don't want and move on. Just my two cents.

I agree Point Five which is why I was hesitant to post anything at all. But filtering through all the overgraded, overpriced, inferior packaging, etc... is what I was doing on Ebay. I just viewed this forum as an oasis away from Ebay. It was nice to know that if someone was selling a NM and I posted my takeit.gif guy, I was going to receive a NM book. Lately, I'm not so sure.

893applaud-thumb.gif

personally, i blame Nikos. it all started going downhill when he stopped selling.

poke2.gif

I think you right 99.9% of the people do stand behind their books and offer returns to questions asked. I figured I would throw it out there. It seems like a lot of people are afraid to say something bad about a seller's item on the market place (except JC) I wish they would Two of my listings that didn't sell I felt were right in there where they should be price and grade but no bites. If There is something about my items you don't like voice it in the thread so I know, honesty can hurt but it usually helps the seller in the future. I would rather be torn apart in a thread over my items so I can fix what I am doing wrong than Walk around with blinders on.

I think you right 99.9% of the people do stand behind their books and offer returns to questions asked. I figured I would throw it out there. It seems like a lot of people are afraid to say something bad about a seller's item on the market place (except JC) I wish they would Two of my listings that didn't sell I felt were right in there where they should be price and grade but no bites. If There is something about my items you don't like voice it in the thread so I know, honesty can hurt but it usually helps the seller in the future. I would rather be torn apart in a thread over my items so I can fix what I am doing wrong than Walk around with blinders on.

interesting point. i suggest you put this in the next sales thread you start. most people aren't as open to constructive criticism as you

interesting point. i suggest you put this in the next sales thread you start. most people aren't as open to constructive criticism as you

Seems like a perfect use for the forum's PM function to me. confused-smiley-013.gif No need to increase the drama quotient of the Marketplace (take the escalator upstairs to General for that).

personally, i blame Nikos. it all started going downhill when he stopped selling.

poke2.gif

I miss the ACTUAL bidding instead of all these BIN's

I know it irritated the anal types(they know who they are) when someone bid $2 and they would rather see three BigTime Bids instead of 15 small bids that reach the same level, but for me that was fun.

Seems like a perfect use for the forum's PM function to me. confused-smiley-013.gif No need to increase the drama quotient of the Marketplace (take the escalator upstairs to General for that).

point taken, but i think a statement about his willingness to listen to constructive criticsm - either in the thread or via pm - is something most people would need to see before they actually offered any of same

I agree 100% with this. Many times I want to comment on others posts, but didn't. As a marketplace if we see something priced incorrectly we should explain why we "feel" its incorrect. I don't think its needs to be overly dramatized. A simple "Hey that Title X really only sells for 50% of guide" or "Are you sure that's a VF, please explain why you feel that way"

That way we all learn, and there's not a 500lb pink elephant in the room all the time.

This has nothing to do with standing by your books, but a process that will educate all who buy & sell here. A process that will weed out the junk!!!

Sellers are not the only problem. There is a lot of talk behind the scenes of bidders not honouring their purchases at an alarming rate. I know because it's happened to myself as well and i rarely sell here and it seems im not the only one. If you are "in the loop" you'll have heard about this.

Furthermore the best sellers, the likes of Nikos and comicdey, are just not wasting their time on us anymore frown.gif